Decatting the Mk1 vRS

Evil

Sorry if this is a daft question but it'll eat me up if I don't ask..

Seen a few posts about people decatting their cars and was wondering how that works at mot time.. does the cat have to be refitted?

I was under the impression a cat was required for mot and, if one isn't fitted, the car ought to fail due to incomplete exhaust or something like that, even if it passes emissions testing.

Enlightement required please chaps and chapesses.. ta  :angel:

Hi there decatting exhaust will certainly not pass mot. Nothing to do with incomplete exhaust. A cat is needed to get emissions down low enough to pass

mot emission test. Most folks feel the extra grunt and turbo spin up is worth the aggro of swapping decat back to std cat once a year for MOT. Some folks also have a modified sports cat that they unbolt decat section and bolt up cat for mot. Also some folks use a friendly garage to pass mot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Splendid.. I knew of sports cats (never used one but our current car should be going that route at some point). That would be my choice I think, and would leave it fitted permanent. 

Couldn't be faffing about swapping decat for cat for mot. 

Not only that but your car has to be in a MOT passable state at any point. VOSA carry out roadside tests.

Aye.. That's another reason I wouldn't do it. Out of a thousand decats I'd be the one that'd get roadside tested..

I`ve got a downpipe and sports cat as I can`t be bothered with the bother come MOT time. It`s the downpipe that`s more restrictive on the vrs anyway, not so much the cat. Car feels a lot more responsive, sounds great, and spins up the turbo faster :devil::rofl:

Edited by VeedubyaGTi
  • Like 1