aircon problem

Hi guys. Been having a problem with my aircon for a while now. It started cutting in and out randomly about a year ago with the awful smell that comes with them sometimes, so last summer I got it regassed, was really low according to the guy. It worked alright for a couple of days but then went back to cutting in and out again and has been like that ever since... Of course with that awful smell as well.

The cost to fix the leak depends on where it is. My last Octy had a leak in the condenser, which was a dashboard out job to fix, so way too much of a fraction of the value of an 8 year old car to be worth spending, even though a replacement/reconditioned condenser wouldn't have been expensive. If the leak is somewhere accessible it could be very cheap to fix.

• Like 1

Not sure why it would be dashboard out to fix the condenser, since its fixed to the front of the car in front of the radiator. It could have been the evaporator but leaks on those are rare as they are safe in the dash. Condensers do go as they can corrode or get holed by stones as they are right up front.

+1 for the condenser. It's at the front of the condenser/intercooler/radiator sandwich at the front of the car and is very vulnerable to flying objects. 

It really hacks me off when people just fill up a system that obviously has a leak on it. I work on air con for a living and have to jump through many hoops to ensure I don't allow refrigerant to leak out. If I know a system has a leak and refill it, I'm actually breaking the law. 

Anyway..... The dodgy smell from the aircon means the evaporator needs a proper clean. One of those aircon bombs from Halfords won't be sufficient. The proper tool actually sprays a biocide directly onto the evaporator coil, drip tray and condensate drain. They stick the tool down one of the air vents to get direct access to it. I would also recommend getting the pollen filter changed. That bit is an easy 5 minute DIY job. 

• Like 2

As you say it's usually a hole in the condenser ,out there at the front and exposed, I'm surprised they don't break more often

Edited by peterposh

Apologies - it was the evaporator in my car - or some other part of the pipework behind the dashboard as this was where the UV dye showed up. The system passed the vacuum test, but completely lost pressure about two weeks after regassing.

I was looking at the front of mine and the bottom third of the radiator looks as though it's been sand blasted , most of the fins are folded and the side tube pieces have no paint on them , the car is only 18 months old. Got me thinking of fitting some sort of mesh to protect it from the battering. Mind you i think it's beyond help

Edited by peterposh

• 3 months later...

Apologies for the late response to this, really busy with baby and building a new living room. Anyway, I have just finally got it to the garage and I think the guy is trying to pull a fast one.

First of all, it isn't a leak he pushed a screwdriver into the valve and it looks as though the refill I had a few months the back is still there, pumped out it did. Now, he claims it's the compressor valve... Which is fine, but he also claims vag group do not source the valve separately and I will have to buy the whole compressor (£300!!!). I have sourced one quickly on eBay for like £37 but am unsure if it is the correct one.

Does anyone have the part number or even better, can someone point me to a link where I can buy this part from? Taking the car to the guy right now and yes gonna double check to see if it is the valve, will also let him know I have found the valve sold seperately on eBay, but would much rather give him part number or let him know where he can buy it from.

Thanks in advance!