A near exact Yeti sized Audi SUV: the new Q2

Dunno about being same size as the Yeti, looks smaller than the Nissan Juke to me and the use of space is nowhere near as practical as the Yeti.

Also him describing it is taking the ****, you cannot sell cars to school kids!

• Like 1

If it is priced like most Audi, then the starting price gets a poorly spec'd one. Audi always makes the desire able toys cost options so going to be nearer £25+ and probably £30k+ for one with a meaty engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's not forget the considerable difference between the cost of Audi parts and labour and Skoda parts and labour - for pretty much exactly the same thing.

Audi customers are special - it's important that they realise how special they are by overcharging them and making them feel even more special.  :yes: 

• Like 2

not my cup of tea,

why do you need a car that size for a "young urban driver!?

I thought people were supposed to be reducing emissions, increasing fuel economy etc to save the environment

what they are really looking for is "young driver with too much disposable income and inadequate in personal areas" or "young idiot trying to impress and present the impression they have more money than sense"

how many citigos / ups need to be sold to offset the emissions of this?

sorry just can't see the point of this sort of motor, the yeti yes as you can get some sensible variants (1.2tsi), or if you need to tow something etc the larger diesels

Let's not forget the considerable difference between the cost of Audi parts and labour and Skoda parts and labour - for pretty much exactly the same thing.

Audi customers are special - it's important that they realise how special they are by overcharging them and making them feel even more special.  :yes:

Thanks for that! :D

sorry just can't see the point of this sort of motor, the yeti yes as you can get some sensible variants (1.2tsi), or if you need to tow something etc the larger diesels

Erm, I guess you totally didn't read the article to spot that this Audi's smallest engine is of a 1,0 litre capacity.............  which is SMALLER than the Yeti's 1,2...............   :notme:  Guess you also missed the 197 hp diesel versions with which you can tow things?! Honestly a more closely matched Yeti alternative (albeit at £4,000 a pop more) you cannot find than this Audi - both in terms of size and engine choice. 

• Like 2

I'll be interested to see the RS Q2 (SQ2? or exactly whatever it's to be called) as and when it arrives - hopefully later this year, but no-one seems quite sure. I suspect that it will indeed be quite similar in interior size to the Yeti for seating space, but of course without the high rear roofline then there can't be as much rear stowage space.

Obviously not seen it in the flesh, but the proportions and general styling look to work better than on Q3 (my current drive). The one detail I definitely don't like is sticking with the satnav screen stuck on the top front of the dash. It's ugly and doesn't work well IMO - in sunny conditions it's not easy to see the screen.

Ultimately though I suspect that a buying decision would be made by head not heart.

Edited by prodata
  • Like 1

Erm, I guess you totally didn't read the article to spot that this Audi's smallest engine is of a 1,0 litre capacity.............  which is SMALLER than the Yeti's 1,2...............   :notme:  Guess you also missed the 197 hp diesel versions with which you can tow things?! Honestly a more closely matched Yeti alternative (albeit at £4,000 a pop more) you cannot find than this Audi - both in terms of size and engine choice. 

Re-reading the articles,the 2.0 litre engines come with dual clutch transmissions as standard.

The vehicle has a"low slung driving position like a Sedan".

Definitely not for me then.

It will be interesting to see how much it would cost when specced up to Skoda SEL level......

Re-reading the articles,the 2.0 litre engines come with dual clutch transmissions as standard.

The vehicle has a"low slung driving position like a Sedan".

Definitely not for me then.

It will be interesting to see how much it would cost when specced up to Skoda SEL level......

I agree, not for me either. Pity because it seemed to fit exactly what I wanted post Yeti. However I have arthritis in my lower back and find it extremely painful getting in and out of "Sedan" type vehicles whereas the Yeti is OK.

Fred 

I seem to have lost something here? The Q2 is to me a much smaller car than the Yeti convenience wise, more like the Nissan Juke.
The Q3 seems to me to be much more of a direct competitor for internal size and convenience but even that is nearly 400lts short of maximum usable boot space compared to the Yeti.

Do we know yet what the exact size comparisons are, measuring from the same points on each vehicle.

As regards Q2 against Q3, sizes may be confusing. I remember when the BMW X3 came out it had a larger boot that the then current X5.

Colin

How big does the boot and rear seating area look in this picture of the Q2, seeing the rear seat headrests not very big especially with the sloping rear.

2015-Audi-Q2-1977.jpg

@Urell: Not sure where your render came from but that 2-door version looks like a fairly old guess. New Q2 is actually here:

No doubt that it's a somewhat different concept to Yeti in that it's not a van with windows and hence more compromised in rear compartment height. But I suspect that interior space will feel OK once you get to see one at first hand.

@Urell: Not sure where your render came from but that 2-door version looks like a fairly old guess. New Q2 is actually here:

No doubt that it's a somewhat different concept to Yeti in that it's not a van with windows and hence more compromised in rear compartment height. But I suspect that interior space will feel OK once you get to see one at first hand.

It looks even smaller there and it is being touted as ""The all new small SUV"

Q2_zpsephgmfzb.jpg

I seem to have lost something here? The Q2 is to me a much smaller car than the Yeti convenience wise, more like the Nissan Juke.

The Q3 seems to me to be much more of a direct competitor for internal size and convenience but even that is nearly 400lts short of maximum usable boot space compared to the Yeti.

Fair enough but honestly how many times have you used ALL of the Yeti's 1,580 litres of internal space? I agree it's nice to have and the boxy nature of the Yeti makes the boot very spacious vertically with the back seats in place. But for my needs the actual boot BELOW THE PARCEL SHELF of the Q2 is near identical to the Yeti's and that is what I use most. A while back I'd have said it is too small. The Yeti's boot (and the Q2's IS too small) but now that I have a caravan and a 750 litre trailer I rarely need all the Yeti's boot space as everything goes in either of those when I go away. And if I'm not towing and need space I have a near 400 litre roof box.

For the average consumer the ultimate volume of a car is a moot statistic, only used when playing Trump Cards I'm afraid. 

How big does the boot and rear seating area look in this picture of the Q2, seeing the rear seat headrests not very big especially with the sloping rear.

Really unsure why you'd use a way off the pace, artist's impression of a non existent three door dream car to discuss the Q2's boot space?  :notme:

• Like 2

Aspirational and successful individuals buying or likely leasing an upmarket vehicle might be the kind that go on flights and holidays and take part in past times and hobbies and a bit of space for luggage and equipment in the boot while still being able to carry passengers in the rear seats can be practical.

Its horses for courses though, and this new model might well be more practical than a Coupe from a Premium Manufacturer.

Or the image will be worth more than the actual practicality.

Thank goodness for choices, and the VW Group having a variety of brands like, Skoda, Seat, VW, Audi, Porsche, Bugatti etc to allow drivers to pick, or pick and mix if they are going to have more than one vehicle.

Really unsure why you'd use a way off the pace, artist's impression of a non existent three door dream car to discuss the Q2's boot space?  :notme:

As this thread is about the Q2 being a near exact size competitor for the Yeti that's all I can go on.

Can you point us in the direction of some more accurate figures?

As this thread is about the Q2 being a near exact size competitor for the Yeti that's all I can go on.

Can you point us in the direction of some more accurate figures?

AFAIK details of the Q2 have only been revealed since the Geneva motor show, anything previous to that was speculation, sometimes wild speculation. You need to search for online reports/data posted in the last 2 weeks or so to get more accurate data. For example:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/audi-q2----video-analysis-new-compact-crossover

Load space is quoted here as 405/1050l for instance.

Edited by prodata
  • Like 1

AFAIK details of the Q2 have only been revealed since the Geneva motor show, anything previous to that was speculation, sometimes wild speculation. You need to search for online reports/data posted in the last 2 weeks or so to get more accurate data. For example:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/audi-q2----video-analysis-new-compact-crossover

Load space is quoted here as 405/1050l for instance.

Thank you for posting that and helping Urrell Prodata. 

That is EXACTLY as stated in the very first article I linked to in the opening post. You can lead a horse to water and all that.....................   :notme:  

• Like 1

The space in the yeti is precisely why I have one. I've all the luxuries such as leather seats, sunroof etc along with 4x4 (which I'll probably need less than the volume), being able to remove the seats to turn it into a mini-van is the killer feature for me. I'd have zero interest in an suv that I couldn't do that with, I'd simply have a normal saloon/hatchback otherwise (as indeed I've come from).

• Like 2

The horse has drunk in information and still cannot get it's head round the Q2 being size wise comparable with the Yeti.

The Q2 may be a similar size to the Yeti on the outside but I suspect nowhere near as much room or practicality inside.

But just going by bootspace (and I suspect passenger space) it's not in the same league.
And I'm sure the Yeti is bought for practicality as a major consideration.

Yeti boot 416l - Q2 boot 405l

Yeti Max boot 1760l - Q2 max boot 1050l