Looking for a new head unit

I'm looking at replacing the head unit in my Fabia and have my eye on the pumpkin units, they seem smart and most do what I want, few questions for anyone in the know.

-GPS, Bluetooth media playback from phone and ideally hands free support too, anyone know which one best for those?

-Do they work with the maxidot and stalk controls? IE clicking to change track

-Are most of them plug and play?

I shopped around & finally decided on the Eonon Android unit. See here:-http://www.eonon.co.uk  

At less than £300 it's a steal! It is compatible with the steering controls & I can change track using the forward & backward controls. The reversing sensors give a better display than the factory Swing unit I had before. It is a perfect fit in the in the  Fabia & looks as good as an OEM unit.

My unit does all this:- Tomtom navigation, DVD, CD, Mp3, FM Radio (DAB module optional), Bluetooth, Wifi, Reversing Camera. 2 USB inputs (i have it interfaced to a 1Tb portable hard-drive containing all my media, audio & video).

Installation was a doddle; it really is plug & play. You can have it working in minutes! See picture & installation 

See my post here:- http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/371620-chinese-android-head-unit/

Since this post where I criticized radio reception, I have solved the problem by connecting up the inline aerial amplifier (supplied, but not mentioned in the instructions)

6 months down the line now & works perfectly

There's only a small handful of aftermarket head units that's adaptable with the steering wheel controls and you pay the price for them really. The only other option is to go the Bolero and Columbus route.

I've dropped you a PM.

I'm glad you asked, I was about to post asking the same questions, I upgraded the swing to a Columbus but I would like to change to android to get a better satnav and more linkage with my phone.

The eonon unit looks pretty good actually, definitely a consideration.

I'm guessing displaying information on the maxidot (GPS and Media) are possibly out of the question on most of these?

Definitely want to go the Android route though.

I have the Amundsen at the moment but just fancied an upgrade.

The pumpkin units are awesome.

I bought a top spec one about 2 months ago and it works a charm.

Maxi dot is hit and miss. I had some success changing the canbus output settings in the head unit to show some info. Full interaction seems to be a no though.

Everything else works perfectly though, steering wheel controls and parking sensors etc.

Pics below:

ae2a259d3312a015e368939bbad7d1f7.jpg

5dc1c8ff9de3f9f5b921944d41215262.jpg

Unfortunately my miss's is using the car more than me atm and she is a bit of a technophobe so I have taken it out.

Will probably sell it as its going to gather dust otherwise.

I would highly recommend them though. Just make sure you go for a top spec one so it doesn't bog down when running apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by aholloway21

The pumpkin units are awesome.

I bought a top spec one about 2 months ago and it works a charm.

Maxi dot is hit and miss. I had some success changing the canbus output settings in the head unit to show some info. Full interaction seems to be a no though.

Everything else works perfectly though, steering wheel controls and parking sensors etc.

Pics below:

Unfortunately my miss's is using the car more than me atm and she is a bit of a technophobe so I have taken it out.

Will probably sell it as its going to gather dust otherwise.

I would highly recommend them though. Just make sure you go for a top spec one so it doesn't bog down when running apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

let me know if your going to sell it soon, I'm definitely getting one of these , which unit is it by the way?

Looks good but it should do at that price! The pumpkin units are about half that

yup. but i dont mind spending for a good quality product. 

I'd buy another again tomorrow. Buy ****e buy twice :D 

The sound is brilliant. Although i do have Audison upgraded speakers too, which helps. 

Love the look of it, looks completely OEM which is a bonus but yes the price is a lot. But i guess you do get what you pay for.

pretty much mate. 

I had a Columbus before this. Thought it was horrific tbh, the boot times were pretty much counted in years and it was so slow once it started, then there was the sound quality, urgh. 

Zenec is only a few hundred more than a used DAB Columbus, and its absolutely light years ahead. Theres literally no comparison. 

BT built in, DVD, Nav, 4 usb ports in the glove box, 1 phono input, reverse camera options, pre amp outs. The list goes on :D 

Edited by fabiamk2SE

I shopped around & finally decided on the Eonon Android unit. See here:-http://www.eonon.co.uk

At less than £300 it's a steal! It is compatible with the steering controls & I can change track using the forward & backward controls. The reversing sensors give a better display than the factory Swing unit I had before. It is a perfect fit in the in the Fabia & looks as good as an OEM unit.

My unit does all this:- Tomtom navigation, DVD, CD, Mp3, FM Radio (DAB module optional), Bluetooth, Wifi, Reversing Camera. 2 USB inputs (i have it interfaced to a 1Tb portable hard-drive containing all my media, audio & video).

Installation was a doddle; it really is plug & play. You can have it working in minutes! See picture & installation

See my post here:- http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/371620-chinese-android-head-unit/

Since this post where I criticized radio reception, I have solved the problem by connecting up the inline aerial amplifier (supplied, but not mentioned in the instructions)

6 months down the line now & works perfectly

I'll be PMing you after I get back from my travels in July.