Headlight restoration - which lacquer?

Well... it doesnt look so good now its lacqured, its started to react in places and start crazing so will need doing again.

The bodyshop have just said leave it with them and they will see what they can do with it.

They said they have lacqured a few sets in the past when they have came in for work and not had any issues.

Its not costing me anything so have nothing to lose.

They prefer the lacquer method and have never sanded and polished them before so...

will pick it up friday with all the inserts and see how its came out!

I cant decide which method to use!

I've read plenty on different car forums and almost all of them suggest lacquer gets a better finished, easier.... and also suggest the wet sanding and polishing method doesnt last very long so goes cloudy after a few month because it has no protection on it anymore, so it needs some barrier to block out the UV rays, rather than a product that needs applying everything you clean the car.

I had always planned on buying this..bit didn't...yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00A3S1RGU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1457541854&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=uv+sealant&dpPl=1&dpID=31vmLlHpNXL&ref=plSrch#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1457541863457

Though u have just noticed it says

'Filter out 98% of UVA and UVB rays, can be used on any type of surface (Except Polycarbonate)' - but does say can be used on plastic elsewhere.

I'd say if you've got a few sets to do, the body shop is the best option, but if just the one, I'd go for polish method with a good sealant, as messing around at a body shot ain't worth it for 2 lenses, but doing a good job sanding by hand, is a good 30-60mins per lens, so not worth the time for multiple sets

You had some work done on the inserts too?

Yeah, all painted satin black :)

Can get any colour people want, they mix all their own paints so anything i want or ask they can do, even from a picture etc..

Yeah, all painted satin black :)

Can get any colour people want, they mix all their own paints so anything i want or ask they can do, even from a picture etc..

Ahhh I look forward to seeing some pics!

Ahhh I look forward to seeing some pics!

Here you go.

Most of the ones i've done have been satin black and come out like this

image.jpg

and when fittted behind the lense look like this

image.jpg

With a quick before and after

image.jpg

I guess it's the same idea... Somthing to cover the lights.

It's just lacquer is more perminant and doesn't require any maintenance.

As we all know everything needs maintenance at some point or another. Even car bodywork gets paintchips or wear. H/Lamps are not excluded.

I don't like the sounds of lacquer, as we all know what lacquer is like on wheels.

Yes it protects for a while, but its a pain once it goes through and doesn't last forever unless you are really careful.

But....Lights are at the front of the car where everyone elses stones get kicked up etc

Probably last long enough though that you've probably decided to do something else/got hold of more lamps by the sounds of it you have an alladins den full of em anyway ;)

Of course, i know what you mean... it will need cleaning and a wax applied when your cleaning the car to help protect it over time.

It will get 3 good coats of lacquer, same as my old grille, which has done many miles on the car now and is still perfect, another reason why i think lacquer will be fine.

Dont get me wrong, it wasnt my idea, i was just looking online and on forums and its what everyone suggested is better for long term clear lights.

Lacquer on wheels lasts quite well as well i believe, get a good few years from then anyway!

Here you go.

Most of the ones i've done have been satin black and come out like this

image.jpg

and when fittted behind the lense look like this

image.jpg

With a quick before and after

image.jpg

I am a big fan of this look!

• Like 1

So! Got some proper UV lacquer, wasn't cheap around £60 for 1L

Had a play around with different lenses and ive got to say... It's brilliant!

I put some on a dirty, cloudy yellow lense and it came up surprisingly well, it's crystal clear but the yellow tint has stayed on.

Other lense was wet sanded up to 3000 grit then lacquered and came out well also

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by hutchysrs50
  • Like 1

I can't decide :D my mate likes the yellow'ish one straight lacquered, loves the yellow tint!

For me I can't decide if I should:

- wet sand them then machine polish like Thisday has done.

Or

- wet sand them then lacquer them.

All I've read is people that wet sand them get the closeness returning after a few month.

The lacquer I use is from my brothers alloy business, so is very high quality and very durable. If you go off what most YouTube videos suggest (not always best mind :D ) almost all the restore videos lacquer the lights after.

Isn't there a third option, wet sand,polish then lacquer?

Or would the lacquer not adhere to a smooth surface?

The other sets i've lacqured on different cars have only been wet sanded to 1200 then the lacqure put on and they came out exactly the same as a 3000 sand then lacqure so the extra wet sand and polish doesnt make any difference really. As you've pointed out a good key on the lenses will help the lacqure to stick and last longer. 

As for polishing them then lacquring i'd be worried the polish might start to react with the lacqure and crack.

Just checked the details on those photos, I did them last May, might have been washed once since then and I can't see any return of yellowing or hazing.

Was out last night with a lad from this forum, he wet sanded and polished his with one of them kits you can buy, Autoglym i think.

His looked great when he first tried it and now, roughly 6 month later, they are cloudy again.

I would love to say i have faith in wet sanding and them staying clean for another 5+ years but i just dont see it. The idea of cleaning them up and offering a long term protection from the lacqure that gives a really good finish seems more appealing to me, which i'd like to perfect.

Edited by hutchysrs50

I had always planned on buying this..bit didn't...yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00A3S1RGU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1457541854&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=uv+sealant&dpPl=1&dpID=31vmLlHpNXL&ref=plSrch#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1457541863457

Though u have just noticed it says

'Filter out 98% of UVA and UVB rays, can be used on any type of surface (Except Polycarbonate)' - but does say can be used on plastic elsewhere.

I'd say if you've got a few sets to do, the body shop is the best option, but if just the one, I'd go for polish method with a good sealant, as messing around at a body shot ain't worth it for 2 lenses, but doing a good job sanding by hand, is a good 30-60mins per lens, so not worth the time for multiple sets

I have a bottle of that stuff I brought it a couple of years ago and all I can say is, its kept my headlights looking pretty good.

I recently re did my headlights with the 3m system only because I was applying some lamin x, not because they had faded.

Its worth the money Imo.

This is just polishing them.

left untouched

wet sanded and polished with a very light polish (will do another polish with a rougher polish

image.jpg

and side by side

Polished on the left

lacqured on the right

image.jpg

I never lacqured mine lol

I rubbed mine back and polished em over a year ago and there still crystal clear, just go over em every now and then with wax, actually had a few people ask me if I'd put new headlights init

Edited by furbyPD100

is it just Fabia lights that last being wet sanded... Every other car forum is full of people saying they stay clear for a few month untill the UV turns them yellow and cloudy again.

I've got my heart set on lacquering them all now unless I get a good reason not to.

Side by side the polished lense and lacquered lens

Did mine about 18 months ago with the 3M kit and they're still nice and clear.

Edited by TMB

The other sets i've lacqured on different cars have only been wet sanded to 1200 then the lacqure put on and they came out exactly the same as a 3000 sand then lacqure so the extra wet sand and polish doesnt make any difference really. As you've pointed out a good key on the lenses will help the lacqure to stick and last longer.

As for polishing them then lacquring i'd be worried the polish might start to react with the lacqure and crack.

Just to confirm, a polish is literally an abrasive compound, you should remove any residue of polish before applying either a sealant or lacquer (or wax if polishing a car).

If you can get the same results with less work, go with that. It makes sense to me that an actual barrier layer is always the better option plus you've already got the stuff!

Edited by Thisday