What is this?!?

Hi guys..I have a Fabia 1.4 mpi 2001.. today I found this oil leaking from this piece in the picture, I think that is the crankshaft sensor, does anyone know what is the product code and how to change it?

Many Thanks!

post-130639-0-64680500-1457895610_thumb.jpg

Edited by centino88

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/390477-mpi-cam-sensor-part-number-and-location/

How about just replacing the o-ring that seals it though? N 90422201  (item 8A)  17x2.5mm  Might be a considerably cheaper solution, if the engine is behaving itself other than the oil leak.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

Do you recommend any particular product to clean this sensor from the oil? If the sensor is not working properly.. which problems can cause?

Edited by centino88

Definitely the camshaft sensor there, I've just replaced mine on my MPI. The part Wino suggested is the right one if you need the whole sensor, and yes it should stick straight out. They seem to be quite hard to get hold of on the aftermarket, mine was a genuine one, £35 from a Skoda dealer. My local motor factors could only supply the bent ones from a 16 valve, and I can confirm that the 16V one does NOT fit (I tried it!).

Techie is also right that this is not crank sensor, when you are looking under the bonnet and the cam one is straight in front of you, the crank one is off to the right side of the block, on top of the gearbox housing facing the sky, and is a flat design with a 45 degree slant to the wire connector.

Edited by wiredsoftware

Is this an over head valve engine? Sorry, not too familiar with this particular engine.

Yes it's basically the same engine as was used in the old rear-engined Estelles/Rapids.

Yes it's basically the same engine as was used in the old rear-engined Estelles/Rapids.

Ah I see, that explains the cam sensor location then.