Sat Nav system theft!

That post relates to the old version in the MK2 Octavia and Superb.

The new version in the Octavia and Superb MK3 are different and much harder to steal. Plus there is currently no known way to install them without dealer intervention- this was a decision made by VAG to discourage thefts that were rife in the previous generation cars.

Phil

• Like 1

Someone not too long ago had their full infotainment system ripped out of their Golf GTE...in Leeds or Sheffield I think it was.

Rare but it does happen. I think some retrofit companies have now sussed out how to get around the component protection and offer retrofits now.

• 1 year later...

20 seconds? Even with an electric screwdriver that seems a bit quick. Its not like the days of four matches.  

8 hours ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

No screwdrivers are required.

Really? The O2's headunit was definitely attached by screws. Are we saying the "harder to steal" O3 units aren't? How are they harder to nick then? Confused.

3 hours ago, juan27 said:

Really? The O2's headunit was definitely attached by screws. Are we saying the "harder to steal" O3 units aren't? How are they harder to nick then? Confused.

The O3 units can be released using just 4 flat bladed release tools available from e.g. Halfords.

The same applies to most current VAG head units.

2 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

The O3 units can be released using just 4 flat bladed release tools available from e.g. Halfords.

The same applies to most current VAG head units.

Ah I see, it IS the 21st century equivalent of the four matchsticks!  

VW apparently are/were relying on it being useless when removed, which clearly ins't the case unfortunately. 

The GTE golf wa son the MK7 forum, & they got in & out quick & nake a nice mess...the GTE has a really big screen.

Component protection & FAZIT..forget it, places in Asia & ex eastern block countries offering removal if you send the units to them..

My car can with sat nav as standard, hardly use it, & would preffer to have OS 1:25K digital mapping on the cars sat nav as better details etc...

So I just have to use my ipad mini which has the mapping on it & GPS enabled..

4 minutes ago, johnmuff said:

I put this link on another thread - just wondering what people think to these:

http://www.cartechuk.com/rns-navi-locks/

They're a bit expensive  but could be worth it if they prevent your system being robbed!

Don't think that would prevent a thief, might slow him down by a few seconds while he rips it off with small crow bar. More damage to the dash and radio still goes.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Don't think that would prevent a thief, might slow him down by a few seconds while he rips it off with small crow bar. More damage to the dash and radio still goes.

+1

If a thief wants your sat nav, he/she WILL take it.

IMHO the best plan is to minimise the damage to the dash (and hence cost to repair/replace) when it gets stolen by making it relatively easy to remove.