Airbag warning light

vgnils

My airbag warning light is now on whenever the ignition is on. It started after the light for the "passenger airbag off" symbol turned on for a brief while, before it came off again. Never touched the switched for the passenger airbag. It all sounds very similar to these experiences:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/367990-airbag-warning-light/

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/342877-passenger-airbag-lamp-bad-switch/

The question is; how likely is it that there will be an airbag malfunction in a crash if the warning light is due to a bad switch for the passenger airbag? I was planning to take the car for a vacation trip tomorrow, but not sure I want to do that if I have no airbags...

Is your Citigo one that was subject to the Recall on the Airbag Sensor, Built Early 2013?

It was indeed built early 2013 (or at least I took delivery late January). I've had one recall, but that was related to a control unit for the engine fan?

UK Site but it shows the proper 'Recalls'.

http://gov.uk/check-if-a-vehicle-has-been-recalled

& what Skoda UK call 'Recall Actions',  which is rubbish when it is Service Campaigns and often Keepers never hear of them, 

because the Vehicle is not Recalled.

If Skoda / VW / Audi / Seat Dealers or Customer Services do not have a Contact Address / Number then you might never get told if not at a Dealers, maybe not even then.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Just went to an independent workshop that was open today, and the fault codes showed the passenger airbag switch had been giving strange signals. Deleted the fault and it has not come back yet, so hopefully it stays that way until I can have the switch replaced.

Our Airbag warning light came on yesterday as I was driving along. This is the second time in three years this has happened. Last time they had to modify the air bag wiring behind the dashboard. So I called the dealer (as we have a 5 year warranty) to get it looked at. I asked them to pick up the car and was told sorry as it has a safety feature fault their drivers are not allowed to collect the car! Now I have to wait until the 8th April to get a loan car. We did get the passengers airbag checked when the recall came out.

Lol so it's got a safety feature fault so they can't collect it but they are more than happy for you to drive the car with a safety fault hahah amazing [emoji106][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is a safety critical matter employees driving a Recovery truck are allowed to collect the vehicle.

So call Skoda UK Customer Services and tell them what a Dealership Employee told you and let them arrange proper Customer Services using Skoda Assist or whatever organisation they want, they provide the Warranty, and Dealerships are approved by them, 

even the hopeless ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally got the Citigo fixed. Apparently the passengers air bag switch was faulty! 

• 4 years later...

So I just got last week the same issue in my Citigo:

Out of nowhere while driving the Airbag warning light turned on and stayed on.

I did a diagnostic fault search (thru the OBD port), and got this fault code:

15 Airbag

System description: VW10Airbag009
    Software number: 1S0959655
    Software version: 0005
    Hardware number: 1S0959655
    Hardware version: H03
    ODX name: EV_AirbaVW10BPAVW12X
    ODX version: 001001

Trouble codes:
        B102029 - Key switch for airbag shut-off, Passenger side Implausible signal
            Intermittent
                Priority: 2
                Malfunction frequency counter: 4
                Unlearning counter: 255

It does indeed seem to be a glitch in the passenger airbag disconnect switch.
So, by now I just cleared the fault, and everything is fine.
If it does it again anytime soon I will replace the switch (1K0919237D) which should take less than 15 minutes*. But given that it did this for the first time after 8 years, it may take some time before it does it again.

* The side panel is held with 3 latches to the console (up, bottom and front). Once freed, the switch itself is held with 2 catches to that panel, and has a cable with a connector in the back.

This issue seems to be relatively frequent with Skoda Citigos, UPs, and Set Mis.

• 2 months later...

Update:

Clearing up the fault without replacing the part did not really help. It just reappeared in a couple of weeks.

So I replaced the faulty part (The passenger airbag disconnect switch, in the passenger side, in side of the dashboard, just behind the door.
The old one was a 1K0 919 237 E, but that has been replaced in the VAG catalogue by a 1K8 919 237.

The part is quite expensive for what it is.

Replacing it takes just 2 minutes:

Open the side cover: It is just held by three catches, you can start from the bottom where there is a gap to make lever. You can use a wide flat screwdriver but beware that the dashboard plastic marks very easily. After you open the bottom catch you can open the front and top ones just with your fingers (it is not held too tight). The part hinges a bit on the back and you can pull it out.

Cover_bottom.thumb.jpg.b843fc280f86eea0f0eac045fc8b3261.jpgCover_front.thumb.jpg.210739cde2d3819777bb2af60110742c.jpg

To release the connector from the switch pull the connector blue tab back.

Connector.thumb.jpg.922af03dec03f706cfb1ab3b8f7cb5f5.jpgConnector_released.jpg.85cc76e1cf95c788e4bec06df582fe36.jpg

To release the switch from the cover push the two metal catches, and slide the connector through the front of the cover.

Cover_top.thumb.jpg.9a5505fb086e38ade91f4da62b7f12f4.jpgOld_part.thumb.jpg.b8b13db4522a71b1e11a47306d079c53.jpg

Install the new part in the opposite order. Use a VAG OBD scanner to clear the fault, and you are done.

New_switch.jpg.3776b242810ba593c5951b2ee265c30d.jpg

Out of curiosity I took the old part apart:
It has a small PCB with 2 switches that are pressed when in the "off" position, released in "on", and 4 resistors.

Old_part_PCB_back.thumb.jpg.d2fecc326ac87df2b4e788c03d84f2a8.jpgOld_part_PCB_front.thumb.jpg.979e362d79c346b7a8e9e8de2a535310.jpg