Electronic Parking Brake

DonjSZ5

I don't get what your are trying to say.

My point is the OP says the electronic parking brake is great but actually it's the autohold system is great, this system does not use the parking brake.

Turn off autohold and using the electronic parking brake instead is pretty poor in comparison.

Lee

Just continuing with what you said really. Just saying that Auto-hold couldn't possibly use the electronic handbrake, because theres soo many cars out there with a normal handbrake and hill hold. Which wouldn't be possible if it needed an electronic handbrake :D

Just continuing with what you said really. Just saying that Auto-hold couldn't possibly use the electronic handbrake, because theres soo many cars out there with a normal handbrake and hill hold. Which wouldn't be possible if it needed an electronic handbrake :D

I don't know of any manual hand braked car that uses auto hold though. Probably due to safety implications as Auto hold usually releases after 5 mins if the car isn't moved and engages the parking brake. Does the same if you undo the seatbelt

Edited by logiclee

The Passats with the motors protected by plastic covers that crack and allow the water in, which in a way is good news if you're a repairing garage.

Revised design in 2008 prevented this.

I don't know of any manual hand braked car that uses auto hold though. Probably due to safety implications as Auto hold usually releases after 5 mins if the car isn't moved and engages the parking brake. Does the same if you undo the seatbelt

Ford transit i used to drive did. That was a 2011. 

Let your foot off the brake and after about 5-10 second it'd roll back if you hadn't done anything about it. 

Ford transit i used to drive did. That was a 2011. 

Let your foot off the brake and after about 5-10 second it'd roll back if you hadn't done anything about it. 

That's a version of hill hold then not a full auto hold system.

Full auto hold locks all four wheels with hydraulic pressure as soon as you come to a stop and will hold the car stationary until you try and move when the pressure is released instantly. On a DSG this is really good as you just brake to a stop, take your foot of the brake and when you want to go just press the throttle. 

On Vag system the pressure is released and the handbrake engaged after approx 5 minutes of no movement, if the engine is turned off or if the drivers seat belt is removed,

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Just to clarify,

I like the auto switch off of the epb when driving off.

I also like the Auto-Hold system which has no time limit as per my Yeti which has 2 seconds. The auto-hold, as I understand, does not employ the epb motors.

Is this the point to ask if anyone knows the difference between what in Audiland is called "hill hold lite" and what gets called "hill hold" - one being standard the other being an extra I believe.

Edit:-  my S4 has a switch behind the electric handbrake switch which switches on the hill hold function, so far I've never used it, but might now as my wife has a Polo with hill hold type function that is always enabled. I'd always assumed that the Audi's hill hold just activated the electric handbrake to hold the car, so probably not after reading this thread.

Edited by rum4mo

I also like the Auto-Hold system which has no time limit as per my Yeti which has 2 seconds. The auto-hold, as I understand, does not employ the epb motors.

See Post Above yours. :)

Auto hold does have a time limit, around 5 minutes and then applies the parking brake.

In seven years of having this system I've only had it happen a few times and you don't really notice except for the handbrake light coming on.

Edited by logiclee

Is the point to ask if anyone knows the difference between what in Audiland is called "hill hold lite" and what gets called "hill hold" - one being standard the other being an extra I believe.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/hill-hold-assist-lite-vcds.238294/

See Post Above yours. :)

Auto hold does have a time limit, around 5 minutes and then applies the parking brake.

In seven years of having this system I've only had it happen a few times and you don't really notice except for the handbrake light coming on.

noted thanks

Is the point to ask if anyone knows the difference between what in Audiland is called "hill hold lite" and what gets called "hill hold" - one being standard the other being an extra I believe.

The two main Audi options.

Full Audi Auto Hold

https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/a/audi-hold-assist.html

Audi Hill Hold.

https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/h/hill-start-assist.html

I believe the Lite you can enable through VCDS if you do not have either factory system. Functionality depends on model and spec,

Lee

The two main Audi options.

Full Audi Auto Hold

https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/a/audi-hold-assist.html

Audi Hill Hold.

https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/h/hill-start-assist.html

I believe the Lite you can enable through VCDS if you do not have either factory system. Functionality depends on model and spec,

Lee

Hummm, I should know better than to ask that question, I originally made the assumption that what I had was just another version of applying the electric handbrake - so ignored it completely.  Now it sounds like I will have Full Audi Auto Hold - and should really start using it!  It seems that the "Hill Hold Lite" is only fitted to the lower A4 models etc, which is what VAG fit to their Polo/Fabia/Ibiza models - and more.

Hummm, I should know better than to ask that question, I originally made the assumption that what I had was just another version of applying the electric handbrake - so ignored it completely.  Now it sounds like I will have Full Audi Auto Hold - and should really start using it!  It seems that the "Hill Hold Lite" is only fitted to the lower A4 models etc, which is what VAG fit to their Polo/Fabia/Ibiza models - and more.

you can add Skoda Yeti to that list.