Skoda Superb - Towbar Demo Video

RickTT

I've used mine many times but on a couple of occasions it has been reluctant to drop down, the green light has been on but no amount of tugging at the release catch will make it work, then suddenly it does, must be a fault I guess but anyone else had the same problem, are there some fail safe devices that won't it allow it to operate? (but the green light has been on!)

Just had the funky Skoda tow bar fitted at Skoda Rochdale. A full day of a job with lots to change/wire. Seems really good and according to the mechanic the car will know when its towing so the computer allows for it. Often they get folks with after market tow bars complaining that the engine goes into limp mode as it doesn't know what's causing the extra burden. Shame it cost an arm and several legs........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Campermartin said:

Just had the funky Skoda tow bar fitted at Skoda Rochdale. A full day of a job with lots to change/wire. Seems really good and according to the mechanic the car will know when its towing so the computer allows for it. Often they get folks with after market tow bars complaining that the engine goes into limp mode as it doesn't know what's causing the extra burden. Shame it cost an arm and several legs........

If you dont mind me asking, was it more than from the factory price ?

hi hi yes it was more expensive due to the labour involved, so if you are specifying a new one order up front.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, I am pricing up an aftermarket towbar as I can't afford one from the dealer. As it does cost an arm and several legs like Campetmartin says. Anyone had any problems when the fitters went to do the wiring as I heard that the centre console and Infotainment unit had to come out. I'd be interested to hear from anyone with after market towbar fitted by independent fitters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a surprise - about the retrofitting that is! The v expensive bit doesn't come as a shock at all. I've done a little bit of hunting around and a detachable version from Towsure with 13-pin electrics specific to the car will be £670 so even after-market versions are expensive :sadsmile:

• 6 months later...

Just had a "factory fit" tow bar retro fitted  , so it can be done but £1100 ! I realy do hope its is Alko compatable as the clearences look tight . Will let you all know when i tow the caravan how it performs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2017 at 15:13, kevin defty said:

My dealer tells me that the tow bar mechanism is now operated electrically by the push of a button. Apparently the same as on Kodiaq

Push of a button... Well.. Sort of.. Only for the release...  You still need to move it into position..

• 2 months later...

My new MY 2018 280 sportline  combi is currently sat at the dealers. The video he sent me of it shows the release to still be in the boot lip rather than at the side. I'll admit the position of the switch is the one bit which feintly concerns me as I tend to hoick lots of stuff in and out of the boot. I guess time will tell.

I've towed a caravan with various cars over the years, I suspect this one will be pretty good. The previous best was a 240ps Mondeo estate but its only 2WD and it looses front wheel traction a bit in some conditions.

Picked mine up end of Jan, can confirm tow bar is same as video with a "pull to release" switch. It's pretty flush with rest of boot trim, can't see anything catching it unless you're really careless! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered my Mk3 with the Factory Tow Bar - as the Dealer showed me Rick's video and I was sold (and prefer factory fit over aftermarket due to the pre-prep done in the factory).  I was previously looking at a Kodiaq and was refusing to pay £850 for an electric towbar...Glad I didn't go that route, as its not really electric, just a button instead of a pull lever by the look of it.

7 hours ago, hwr1983 said:

Ordered my Mk3 with the Factory Tow Bar - as the Dealer showed me Rick's video and I was sold (and prefer factory fit over aftermarket due to the pre-prep done in the factory).  I was previously looking at a Kodiaq and was refusing to pay £850 for an electric towbar...Glad I didn't go that route, as its not really electric, just a button instead of a pull lever by the look of it.

Lol.. Dealer showed you my video !! I need to enable adverts on it !! 

49 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Lol.. Dealer showed you my video !! I need to enable adverts on it !! 

To be fair...they searched "superb towbar" or something and it was a top result

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The clearances all look tight. We’ve a caravan on order and have the retractable towbar on our skoda. I have some concerns of clearances. 

Did the al-ko 3004 fit the factory retractable towbar?

31 minutes ago, nthurrzzz said:

The clearances all look tight. We’ve a caravan on order and have the retractable towbar on our skoda. I have some concerns of clearances. 

Did the al-ko 3004 fit the factory retractable towbar?

Yes it should - on page one of this thread i shared all the clearance photos... but following photobuckets wisdom of 3rd party hosting the photos were trashed...

let me re upload them for you.