Coilpacks

Hi all

My coil packs are knackered and had it confirmed by my local dealer that I'm eligible for the recall

But I'm being told they must have vwag on top else they won't swap them, I don't think mine are genuine so has anyone in Kent got a knackered set?

I can see both sides of this though, if VAG had initially fitted that car with coils of sufficient build quality to last the expected service period, then they would not be offering to replace any. Further more, if the previous owner of that car, or the previous selling garage had a coil(s) failure, then especially if out on the road and on a long journey, any AA or RAC patrol would have headed to their preferred motor factor, or had to go there due to VAG stocks being on back order.  Not everyone has the time to wait on companies getting their act together.

I seem to remember that when this first hit VW and Audi on the 1.8 engines, one plan was to buy/borrow as many as they could from Skoda dealers as at the outset of this fiasco, Skoda was still fitting "old build standard" versions of these coils.

Edit:- Audi USA and Canada had a different approach, they bulk leased Toyotas to ease the pain of their very annoyed Audi owners!

Another Edit:- for some strange reason, I held onto all the failed coils from my wife's 1.4 Polo - until it was rendered against a new one.

Edited by rum4mo

seems a bit off. so its there fault they are faulty., if i buy new ones can i then keep receipt and claim off them because i didnt no there was a recall fault>? i doubt it   regardless of replacement they should recognize theres a issue and replace for genuine ones. 

I'm guessing that they need the old genuine failed coils to claim back from their supplier - no genuine coil returned = Skoda would need to cover the cost, and that would hurt if the numbers are high.