Sealant or wax?

dsmithmobile

Hi guys,

Car cleaning is something I've never really got into and over the years as I've just got car washed and that was good enough or in the early days when I was enthusiastic I may have waxed it etc

I don't expect to change that routine much over the coming years but I've bought another car last week which is a dark grey colour and seen as though there are a number of light scratches here and there,I'm having a friend of mine who's a car painter give it a machine polish to tidy up the bodywork as well as he can.

So my question is,after he has machine polished the car do I apply some wax or as I've heard lots of talk about sealant products that protect the paintwork do I use that instead? Or both?

Like I say I'm not the kind of guy to be out carrying out a regular detailing regime but after it's polished I'd like your suggestions of what to apply to keep it looking reasonable and recommend a product that's easy to work with and doesn't cost a fortune if possible.

Cheers

• Like 1

Given that you're not one to do it often (like me) it's probably even more important to get a good layer of protection on it.  Personally speaking, I'd say both.  After the car has been machine polished, don't forget to wipe it down with 50/50 water/IPA to get rid keftover particles and chemicals from the polishing, then I'd give it a layer or two of sealant, and leave it to cure for an hour or more, then give it a coat of wax.  I've not used a huge range of products, so I can only really recommend JetSeal 109 as a sealant, then something like collinite 476s or a dodo juice pro (make sure it's the pro - the standard isn't all that great).

I'm no expert though, so I'd wait for the pros to chime in :D

• Like 2

Bit of a can of worms this one! As above sealants will by and large last longer but you have to make sure the paintwork is really clean in order for it to bond. topping up after every other wash with a quick detailer to compliment your choice of wax/sealant will help prolong the protection too. Good luck!

• Like 2

As already said - if not performing a regular maintenance/wax routine - then going for a sealant would be recommended. :thumbup:

Once the sealant is applied; you can then top this with wax to improve protection, gloss, etc - as and when you have time.

• Like 2

On a slightly related topic, do people do two 'types' of wash? A heavy detailing and a quick wash?  Like for example, if I've just spent 12 hours doing a full detail, in a fortnight's time when it's dirty, do you just rinsed and 2BM wash? Or reapply everything all over again?

• Like 2

On a slightly related topic, do people do two 'types' of wash? A heavy detailing and a quick wash?  Like for example, if I've just spent 12 hours doing a full detail, in a fortnight's time when it's dirty, do you just rinsed and 2BM wash? Or reapply everything all over again?

Yes, I think of detailing in terms of "full" or "maintenance"

Once I have a car protected after a "full" detail I would for "maintenance" only snowfoam,rinse, wash, dry and then refresh the LSP with a quick detail spray unless I had a specific reason to add another coat of wax or sealant such as the particular LSP requiring 2-3 coats each applied at 24 hour intervals

Edited by Sparkly
  • Like 3

Yes, I think of detailing in terms of "full" or "maintenance"

Once I have a car protected after a "full" detail I would for "maintenance" only snowfoam,rinse, wash, dry and then refresh the LSP with a quick detail spray unless I had a specific reason to add another coat of wax or sealant such as the particular LSP requiring 2-3 coats each applied at 24 hour intervals

I'd love to do this, but for me to apply 3 coats, 24 hours apart, I'd need access to a garage that I don't have.

• Like 1

For me its a very simple answer, no LSP lasts forever and it sounds like you want the most protection in the easiest and least time consuming fashion.  If you want years of protection you really need an SiO2 (Quartz coating) which needs a highly skilled detailer to apply well and in indoor conditions ideally)

Buy a bottle of Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer from Amazon and a pack of Microfibre cloths.  On untreated paint simply wash and dry the car, spray on the Sonax and spread lightly with one microfibre cloth, then a few seconds after buff with a clean mf cloth.

You need to be realistic about upkeep as most "accessible" waxes and sealants will not give more than three months unless applied as part of a FULL detail.  If you are going to wash clay, decontaminate and polish at 6-12 month intervals then you have lots of options but this is an 8 hour day minimum working hard on the car.

If on the other hand you want the very best protection/effort ratio I truly don't think an amateur enthusiast will do better than Sonax BSD straight to paint, it is almost impossible to get wrong and will give 2-3 months protection, it is not fussy as to bonding and it can be as simple as a quick walk around the car spraying and buffing to achieve a nice shine and good protection that assuming you wash your car every couple of months can be topped up indefinitely.

Far better investment beyond the Sonax (or whatever wax/sealant you choose) is to go online to a site like Cleanyourcar and buy a high quality wash mitt a large quality microfiber drying towel and a couple of plush microfiber buffing cloths, these above all else will help you stop the introduction of washing produced swirls and marks.

I hope this helps.

(I am aware the Sonax BSD answer is a bit tiresome, in this case I think it fits)

Superb reply here - lots of valid points and info to consider. :yes:

Great to have you back and actively posting Sparkly :thumbup:

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies guys,I'm not expecting it to last forever,was just curious about sealant as I've never seen it or used it,just heard it mentioned over time.

I would normally just give a car a coat of wax after a machine polish in the past but if sealant is the better option then I'll seal it and if need be give it a wax afterwards.i will try to keep it clean but can't say I have the patience to spend hours doing an intense cleaning routine.

Thanks again for the replies :)

• Like 2