Fuel gauge fault

SKODAP1

Dear All

I have a Yeti 2.0TDI 4x4 which was new last September.

Despite seveal attempts (new dash clocks included) my dealer can not solve my fuel gauge problem.

I can fill the tank and then zero the trip, after the vehicle has covered approx 70 miles I get a drop of two small segments on the gauge. The vehicle is then parked facing downhill outside my house. When starting the next morning the gauge could carry on reading as per the night before ie two small segments down, or more often than not the needle goes right over to full and then remians hard over to full until the trip has about 120 miles showing.

If I reverse the car into my parking spot ie rear end facing down hill, then the gauge reads fine right from full to half a tank and beyond ie no problems.

If when having the problem when parked facing down hill ie with 80 or so miles on the trip, but the gauge showing hard over to full, I turn the car around and leave it with the rear end facing downhill then on start up the next morning I gat a true reading.

I hope that's not too cunfusing?

Can anyone help?

It would be useful to know exactly what Yeti you have, but...............

I doubt there is anything wrong with your dash panel, as that is just the end result of a system. I suspect that if there is a problem it is the tank sender unit; did they check that?

If you have a 4x4 then the tank is saddle shaped so this could also be creating this effect.

It would be useful to know exactly what Yeti you have, but...............

I doubt there is anything wrong with your dash panel, as that is just the end result of a system. I suspect that if there is a problem it is the tank sender unit; did they check that?

If you have a 4x4 then the tank is saddle shaped so this could also be creating this effect.

That's my view as well.

Mine used to slightly over read pointing down hill and under read up hill.

I seem to think it's the same as other cars I've had.

If you fill the tank to the 'brim' ie rigfht to the top can't get anymore in it sounds like the float in the tank sticks or jams have you tried using the fuel let it drop to say third of a tank and put more fuel in but NOT to the 'brim' and see what happens ? Am i right in saying the Yeti tank goes over the prop shaft so it is like 2 tanks joined together saying that how does the fuel get out of both sides 2 feed pipes ????????

I had a Renault Master 3.5 ton van years ago which did this it was the shape of the tank the fuel needle suddenly dropped to about half tank each time i filled the tank to the top I got fed up with this and only ever filled to just over 2 thirds for years and it never happened again

Sounds completely normal to me...

+1 from me.  Zero-ing the trip mileage after refuelling is important but the gauge usually sorts itself out by half full regardless of whether this is one journey or a series of several shorter ones with overnight parking in between.  The Range indication works OK.

As a matter of interest how did you persuade the dealer to change the instruments, many people might want to give business to a dealer with such an attitude.

If you fill the tank to the 'brim' ie rigfht to the top can't get anymore in it sounds like the float in the tank sticks or jams have you tried using the fuel let it drop to say third of a tank and put more fuel in but NOT to the 'brim' and see what happens ? Am i right in saying the Yeti tank goes over the prop shaft so it is like 2 tanks joined together saying that how does the fuel get out of both sides 2 feed pipes ????????

I had a Renault Master 3.5 ton van years ago which did this it was the shape of the tank the fuel needle suddenly dropped to about half tank each time i filled the tank to the top I got fed up with this and only ever filled to just over 2 thirds for years and it never happened again

The main fuel injection pump is at one side of the tank, there's a lift pump on the other. Periodically the lift pump runs for a few seconds and pumps fuel from one side to the other. On my petrol Yeti and one of my friend's Yeti (also petrol), you can sometimes (only just) hear the lift pump chattering away a bit like a very quiet version of the Lucas pump they used to fit to Morris Minors! But we can each only hear it on a road with a very quiet surface. Normally it's inaudible.

The main fuel injection pump is at one side of the tank, there's a lift pump on the other. Periodically the lift pump runs for a few seconds and pumps fuel from one side to the other. On my petrol Yeti and one of my friend's Yeti (also petrol), you can sometimes (only just) hear the lift pump chattering away a bit like a very quiet version of the Lucas pump they used to fit to Morris Minors! But we can each only hear it on a road with a very quiet surface. Normally it's inaudible.

That would explain the occasional anomaly with the fuel gauge occasionally 'reversing' on trips as the 'level' sensor can only measure one side...........and then gets 'topped up'. (?)

Edited by Ryeman

All come about because fuel tanks used to be after the rear axle on rear wheel drive because of the propshaft problem, then Road Safetey insisted they ( the fuel tank ) be moved forward the other side of the rear axle because of rear end smashes and the tank bursting and fire starting ?? good idea aswell !!

• 2 months later...

I had the pleasure of diesel literally gushing out of the fuel cap all over me and my feet tonight.... No lie, I couldn't stop it- had to force the cap back the opening to stop it.

So to explain in detail, I had about 3/4 full tank on the fuel gauge. I went to the petrol station to top it up full, as I am on a long journey first thing tomorrow. However, it took £5 (1.08p per ltr), normal fuel flow before the pump clicking, and only allowing short bursts of fuel to come out (as expected if tank is full). I thought perhaps air blockage? So, removed pump on a number occasions (in an attempt to allow and air/blockage to clear) and persisted with trying to fill it up (given the reading on the fuel gauge would have allowed more than £5 worth of fuel to be added before the tank was full).

Anyway, to be precise, I got to £7.92 before the diesel decided to gush out all over me, the car and forecourt.

After some cleaning up and confusingly having to pay £7.92, I got back in the car to find that the fuel gauge still showed 1 bar under the full line!!

So, I don't know if there is a fault with my gauge reading or whether something else is up? Range also showed 370 miles, where usually at 1 bar below full I'd have expected the range to be in late 400's...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated - one diesel smelling Yeti owner.

Model Yeti Monte Carlo 4x4 170

^^^^my guess is that it's full but the gauge needs a 'reset'.

Our 308 decided recently to under-read and was fixed that way.

• Like 1