Sorry tyres Again! Advice please :)

Hi All,

Im new to this so bear with me!

i have skoda Octavia VRS estate remapped to 205bhp... i have noticed a slight noise to be told this is my tyres? as brakes and bearings have been checked and no issues, i thought it might be brake pad as the noise is the sam when breaking hard.... founf a bulge in one tyre and the inside of another 2 have a hairline crack, they were budget tyres that were on when i brought the car so just wondering what everyone recommends for not too expensive but good quality? :notme: 

Definitely sounds like time to change the tyres! You'll get lots of suggestions I'm sure. I can't help though I'm afraid.

Is the noise being caused by saw-toothed rear tyres? A little more info would be helpful :)

Who told you it was the tyres?

Oh and welcome by the way!

Haha well the grip is brand new on the tyres! but they are budget tyres afterall, i went to kwikfit who test drove my car and thought it may be a bearing....which he checked and were all fine...brakes fine, suspention fine... so all he could think is to change tyres and see if the noise changes?

but im stuck which to buy... i can see some people like

-uniroyal RS3

-Dunlop Fast Response

-Toyo Proxys

-Hankook v12's

on any other car i have always had whatever would fit but not with this one...

:|

Before you do anything else stay away from Kwikfit.

Noise is most likely a badly/uneven worn tyre unless it increases in volume when you turn a corner.

If you want a good mid price tyre I highly recommend Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta which perform nearly as well as my favourite Michelin PS3's. Camskill have these at £63 a corner.

Ahhh, thats just it they arnt worn? obviously there is a hairline crack appearing in 2 and a little bubble in the other but tread ect is great... ive just read so much and so many different answers and opinions but i suppose there is good and bad in them all?

no not alot of noise when driving the roads only when slowing down as if my pads are worn..

and motorway is when i hear the humming noise

thank you though and what PSI do you reccommend the 225/40/18's?

:p

I find the recommended pressures a little low and tend to run mine around 35psi allround and winter tyres a pound or two higher due to their softer side walls.

The tread may look fine but try measuring across the tread and also look for signs of saw toothing (Jagged edges on the tread pattern)

Cheap tyres tend to be a bit noisier and the Octavia isn't the best sound insulated car on the market.

What age and mileage is your car?

I think you're bound to get lots of different opinions on tyres, they seem to be quite subjective. When I need to replace them on mine (a MK3 Octy VRS) I'm going to go with the Hancock v12's.

If your tyres are cracking and bubbling, I'd suggest that isn't good!

Are your pads worn if you suspect them?

I can't help with tyre pressures other than what the handbook says, but maybe other MK2 owners will help.

my VRs is 2007 yes 160,000 but well looked after, 

regular services ect, doe for MOT july also, pads are fine i have had all the breaks ans suspention checked as had a new ABS pump fitted?

At that mileage it could be wheel bearings but they will normally increase in noise when you turn the car, more noise turning right indicates the left bearings are going. This would also be evident with a small amount of play in the hub.  

Thats just the thing, i had them all checked today along with the breaks ect.... the only thing they could think that it was my tyres 

maybe i shall change all 4 to some which ever most people recommend and go from there

i hate noises! unless they are the right ones of course :)

so just to decide which tyres to go with....  :peek:

If you were closer you could borrow my winter wheels to see if the problems disappears. Not sure if anyone more local to you could do the same. 

The cracked and bubbled tyres should be replaced anyway.  

Edited by CWARD

Dont forget the newest Dunlop SP RT2 or Goodyear Asy 3.

The newest two or already very good predecessors (I like them both, driven on my heavier car. But if I still had my Octi, I would have driven them on the VRS)

Also the most quiet tyres in that size.

Prices in Germany arent that far of Kumho and the likes. And in my opinion the far superior and more modern tyre!

Edited by magic62

I have sworn by Goodyear Eagle F1 for years and will recommend them to anyone who will listen. Not to get confused (or fobbed off) with efficient grip, which are meant for longetivity and economy.

Tyres is a funny subject that many will get het up about. I've liked Hankook which came fitted to my other halfs Clio. I noticed that you mentioned them a few posts ago.

Good Year Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 or 3 is the tyre to go for  :D   Closely followed, and this is purely my own opinion, by the Nokian zLine.  You've probably never heard of it but I had Nokians on my Alfa Romeo and I would rate them up there with the Good Years.  

Edited by SkodaKitteh

Hi, have you had your tracking/ alignment checked?

When I obtained my Octavia I had the same problem I replaced the budget tryes with Goodyear Effecient Grips and had hunter 4 wheel tracking/alignment  done at the same time. Totally different car.

You've probably never heard of it but I had Nokians on my Alfa Romeo and I would rate them up there with the Good Years.  

I had those for a while on my Alfa too. Can't remember what they were like though! :giggle:

Back to the subject, I'm going for AS3's soon on mine based on the many discussions on here.

Edited by nickgpfc

I had Nokians on my Alfa Romeo and I would rate them up there with the Good Years

Which Nokian's did you have? On my previous car I had Nokian N6000 fitted when I bought them and they were horrendous and would spin up at the slightest hint of dampness on the road. Switched to Vred's and the difference was night and day.

Which Nokian's did you have? On my previous car I had Nokian N6000 fitted when I bought them and they were horrendous and would spin up at the slightest hint of dampness on the road. Switched to Vred's and the difference was night and day.

N6000 are Nexen not Nokian.  :nerd:

I had Nokian WR D3 winter tyres.

Edited by SkodaKitteh

N6000 are Nexen not Nokian.   :nerd:

That would explain the big difference then  :doh:

-Pirelli Pzero Nero - Didn't last very long on the wife's BMW

-Goodyear Efficentgrip performance - Popular on here

-Toyo Proxes t1 - not known for long life either

-Uniroyal Rainsport 3 - Popular on here

ok, 

what do you think of the Toyo proxys?

or pirelli pzero nero GT ?

:dull:

Both good tyres, not too expensive even at 18'' (£65 - £76 on www.mytyres.co.uk)  Personally I would go for the Pirelli if pushed but only because I've had Pirellis before and never had Toyos.

As I said previously my first choice would be the Good Years.

Edited by SkodaKitteh