The 220ps experiences, questions & answers thread

20 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

We're a dying breed, but who cares? I'd think nothing of doubling our fuel bill if it meant a nicer car. Get yourself a RaceChip Response Control pedal box if you really want to see the back roads come alive, it really helps on the higher limit A roads as well. A few of us 220 and 280 owners have them. 

The Mustang is a fantastic bit of kit for the money, lovely engines; but as you say it's a 2+2 and not great for family life as such. I'm going after a used Jaguar XFR (5.0 supercharged V8, 510ps, 8 speed ZF) next I think, though I'm open to a nearly new 530i or 540i or similar. I miss having a manual when I'm not in the city centre, but we'll see. I do love the balance of the Jags though, excellent chassis and handling but very luxurious and understated. Judging from the real world economy on both cars, I should expect to pay maybe an extra £20 to £30 a week on fuel compared to what we do now, which is nothing. You can't spend it when you're dead! B)

I went out for a hoon tonight for a couple of hours, just got back in. It's always good to blow out the cobwebs once a week or so; mine and the car's! It's exactly 0 degrees here atm, so the country roads (NSL, unlit, ditches either side of the lanes) were good fun on the bends in the icy darkness! :blink::D It's quite mentally tiring after a couple of hours, you don't realise until you stop! Bloody good fun though, and the car really carries its weight well on the back roads so long as you balance it right on the throttle before you drive through. I got some great overtakes in, also. King of the road. bc0f3ca3fd.gif

:thumbup: Sounds like you have had fun. Which really really really matters!

12 hours ago, eurotraveller said:

I couldn’t disagree more: I think it looks cheap, feels cheap, drives cheap and it actually isn’t cheap enough for all its cheapness. :)

But of course, these choices are all (sometimes big) compromises. In my case, and despite doing 20k or more a year, I’m still very pleased I went for petrol after 20 years of diesel. So, fully in agreement with you there, Rainmaker.

I thought exactly the same. Till I drove one. Then I couldnt stop smiling. Or desperately wanting one.

The Mustang with a V8 is a bit like nicotine. Once you are hooked........

We've done around 1500miles in our 220 SE-L hatch now. Loving the car so far, great engine, bags of power and a very comfy drive.

With regards to economy we mostly do short drives, around 2.5miles with several roundabouts and sets of lights, so far averaging low to mid 20s. Have done a few longer runs too and the max we've seen so far is 35mpg. I estimated about 8-10mpg less than our 1.4TSI DSG Occy when we bought the car and so far it's about spot on.

On 2/5/2017 at 10:09, Twelvebears said:

My last two Superbs have both been TDIs, because I was doing 20k+ commuting miles, but now I work from home more than the office, I'm 90%+ sure I will take a 220 TSI when I change towards the end of this year.

It just sounds like more of a fun, refined car, but also one which is also capable of decent mpg if treated gently on a long run.

My quandary for the next few months is what colour to go for. Love black but shows the dirt too easily. Have and like silver but would like a change. At the moment, Corrida Red and Petrol Blue are on my possibles list.

There a few Corrida Red cars for sale on Autotrader, with reasonable pictures. Take a look at them, it's a large car for post office red but it seems to work well.

If I "ever" buy another Superb it's the colour I'd have.

As for Silver, it works quite well on my Mk 2 barge but i was surprised just how dirty it was when I last cleaned it.

FWIW I thought that a "little" golf GTi engine would work in a biggish car, but I was so wrong, just a little slower & less economical which we were running as well,

but it's soo much nicer to live with, especially on long drives.

We are planning a trip to Germany soon, & we have a new Golf R to play with, but we will probably take the Superb because it's so much more relaxing...... 

DC

On 2/8/2017 at 16:45, penguin17 said:

I'll admit it; I wish I got the 280.  Happy now! :tongueout:

TBF though, my Leon has 232BHP and 500Nm of torque so it's not exactly a slouch for a "flat dreary dagdag".  It's left a few Golf R's wondering 'WTF just happened?!' :D

Q? 232 BHP & 500 Nm, surely the BHP is a bit higher?

DC

7 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

Q? 232 BHP & 500 Nm, surely the BHP is a bit higher?

DC

IIRC it was *just* under 232 BHP and near enough bang on 500Nm.  It's happier to rev a little higher before there's just noise and vibration, and no more surging.   Pretty damn impressive for a derv. Someone with DSG 5 dr data logged some pretty impressive 0-60, 30-50 and 50-70 times.  Being a diesel the 30-50 and 50-70 times were the most impressive; they were in super saloon territory never mind hot hatch.   Overtaking feels much safer, put it that way. :)

5 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

For a diesel? Sounds about right. My hateful Vauxhall Astra 2.0 CDTI had 350Nm and that only managed a wheezy 158 BHP, with torque lasting a whole 700rpm.

Rainmaker you really can't critique my choice of car/fuel when you, A: Owned a Vauxhall B: Owned an Astra C: Owned a Vauxhall Astra diesel.

I'm glad you got help though and are now making a full recovery :tongueout::D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Rainmaker you really can't critique my choice of car/fuel when you, A: Owned a Vauxhall B: Owned an Astra C: Owned a Vauxhall Astra diesel.

My sig says what it says for a reason. :D I was skint and only paying for fuel, so it supposedly made sense. Until it turned out to be dog slow (even for a diesel), rubbish on fuel and generally the reason I now only buy petrols. I should thank it, really. :wondering:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

For a diesel? Sounds about right. My hateful Vauxhall Astra 2.0 CDTI had 350Nm and that only managed a wheezy 158 BHP, with torque lasting a whole 700rpm.

Whoops, didn't realize it was a diesel.............

DC

8 hours ago, penguin17 said:

IIRC it was *just* under 232 BHP and near enough bang on 500Nm.  It's happier to rev a little higher before there's just noise and vibration, and no more surging.   Pretty damn impressive for a derv. Someone with DSG 5 dr data logged some pretty impressive 0-60, 30-50 and 50-70 times.  Being a diesel the 30-50 and 50-70 times were the most impressive; they were in super saloon territory never mind hot hatch.   Overtaking feels much safer, put it that way. :)

Sorry, if I'd realized it was a diesel, I'd of kept quiet...........

At least you enjoyed it, which is a "good thing" IMVHO.

DC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Even I have owned better Vauxhalls than an Astra.

A 1964 FB VX 4/90 ( Twin Carbs, Alloy Head, Twin front buckets & 4-on-the-floor, better known as a Vauxhall Victor)...

+ Two Cavalier Hatchbacks, a '90 & a '91, both 115bhp 2.0 Injection petrols with 4-speed Asian-Warner Autos.

A better car than the Sierra, very quiet 3K rpm / 90 mph cruising in Germany, but not very quick around the Nurburhring, but still fun trying!

DC

• Like 1

On 09/02/2017 at 16:30, freelunch said:

@ Bud: I also have a bike, though I mostly use it for touring rather than pleasure rides.

Isn't touring still for fun?

The pedant in me says touring can be fun, but there is a purpose to it - a destination - while a pleasure ride doesn't need to have a destination or a purpose other than, say, scaring yourself silly.

Also, touring always has a pillion on the back, a pleasure ride never does. :biggrin:

Only took me two weeks to curb my NSF alloy. A minor scuff, but massively annoying. And, of course, I turned down the alloy insurance offered by the dealer. It's probably the wrong kind of scuff, anyway. I'm still finding the extremities of the vehicle, and I am reliant on the front and rear sensors. Sure hope they don't fail!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, freelunch said:

Only took me two weeks to curb my NSF alloy. A minor scuff, but massively annoying. And, of course, I turned down the alloy insurance offered by the dealer. It's probably the wrong kind of scuff, anyway. I'm still finding the extremities of the vehicle, and I am reliant on the front and rear sensors. Sure hope they don't fail!

+1...

I did the same thing on my old superb 3+ years ago. I get a good discount from ly local wheel refurbishers now!

Shouldn't go through roundabouts apex to apex......

Expect to pay £60+, depending on the type / style of wheel.

DC 

@freelunch That looks the business mate, the red has come up stunning. Not to derail the thread but what did you use? I assume you have a DA for the polishing but what wax? I used Lime Prime followed by BH Double Speed-Wax last time around and it looked really nice and deep (Petrol Blue), but it wasn't a patch on how that red came up! :thumbup: 

Thanks. Yeah, it does look good. I keep wanting to go out and look at it. Obsessive? Moi?

What's a DA? Drill attachment? I use patented elbow grease and (many) microfibre cloths. The detailing spray is Meguiar's Ultimate and the wax is Mequiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax. I have a list of recommended products to try, but this bottle of Meguiar's wax has lasted three years and it's probably still 1/3 full.

I used to wash, clay, polish and wax the Brera, but the paintwork on the Sportline is new, so I didn't bother with the first two steps. The car got washed a couple days ago and it was surprising how much dust had settled on it. It doesn't show off the dirt like the Brera – I will never have another black car!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freelunch said:

Thanks. Yeah, it does look good. I keep wanting to go out and look at it. Obsessive? Moi?

What's a DA? Drill attachment? I use patented elbow grease and (many) microfibre cloths. The detailing spray is Meguiar's Ultimate and the wax is Mequiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax. I have a list of recommended products to try, but this bottle of Meguiar's wax has lasted three years and it's probably still 1/3 full.

I used to wash, clay, polish and wax the Brera, but the paintwork on the Sportline is new, so I didn't bother with the first two steps. The car got washed a couple days ago and it was surprising how much dust had settled on it. It doesn't show off the dirt like the Brera – I will never have another black car!

You've done well there if that was by hand. A DA is a dual action polisher (as opposed to rotary). It's still worth decontaminating 'new' paint, especially as it's sat on a train trailer to Emden then on a boat across the sea etc. I got a lot of iron dust and sap off mine when it was new (I had it delivered to me still in the transport wrap). No point now and it looks great but next time you plan on stripping the paint and re-waxing it'd be worth using something to de-iron, de-tar and then clay to get the best out of the paint. :) We have a detailing section if you want to pop in, sorry to everyone else for temporarily derailing the thread (albeit about a 220 :laugh:). 

• Like 1

What a gorgeous day! My wife and I drove to Broadstairs and opened the sun roof for the first time. It's nice! We were going 50 mph with no buffeting or outrageous road noise, but Jo suggested we close it when we got on the A2 and were starting to suck up diesel. Speaking of which, I took my first mileage reading from the pump today. I got 412 miles and the needle wasn't in the red yet. 61 litres. (It's a 66-litre tank, right?) So, 30.2 mpg. I've been sitting in a lot of cross-town traffic and I've put the boot in a couple of times. I was expecting a couple mpg's more, but I can live with that. It's an improvement on my last car.

Also, the cruise control works a treat now I've got the hang of it. Don't think I have the nerves for hands-free driving, though. Tesla can keep it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a SE-L 220 psi DSG estate today.................but no corrida red now for new orders, so costing a lot more for petrol blue...........****ed off!

Gotta be more refined than my present 2.0 D 140 manual ?

Edited by quartofale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, quartofale said:

Ordered a SE-L 220 psi DSG estate today.................but no corrida red now for new orders, so costing a lot more for petrol blue...........****ed off!

Gotta be more refined than my present 2.0 D 140 manual ?

Refined it definitely is. Dual injection (direct at idle and full load, port/MPI for everything else - which is quieter), lean burn at motorway speeds (no need for enriched mixture) to save fuel, and twin opposed balance shafts to smooth everything out. You'll enjoy it mate. As for petrol blue, it scrubs up alright imho, but I'm biased. ;) 

14352161_10207257359862789_6032415294923364868_o.jpg

14362616_10207257359902790_4418480941457807610_o.jpg

• Like 3