Faint metallic ringing/chiming/rattle when on gas....

Ullo forum...

99.9% loving my new 2016 VRS TSI Wagon, but trying to iron out a few minor niggles!

With the sat nav fixed (thanks dealer) I am now noticing a faint metallic ringing/rattle when my foot is on the gas - most noticeable between 1200-2000rpm - which stops as soon as I take my foot off. I don't hear it much at higher revs but that may be because it is quite faint and the engine/actuator noise drowns it out! To be honest it may have always been there from test drive through to purchase and I only started noticing it once I drove it more.

Doesn't seem to be impacted either way by changing the Sound Actuator settings and doesn't seem to change in nature or volume at all - just a persistent, faint sound over the engine.

Best way to describe would be like someone running a thin metal pipe along some metal railings....very very quietly!

All other signs, performance and systems are nominal.

I did see mention of a similar issue on a Golf forum relating to the Mk7 GTI and the current R and suggestions were around the downpipe(?) as the culprit and it was just standard for this engine or that it was related to the Actuator and removal/disabling solved.

Anyone else had this one? Any ideas?

(I did search but came up empty, so apologies if this as been done before)

I'm experiencing this particular noise as well. I often drive the car without the any music on, the noise is faint but it's definitely there. More noticeable when the windows are open.

Speaking of ringing noise, my car has recently (around 7000km ago) developed a ringing noise as the rev dropped from 2000rpm to 1500rpm. More audible when the engine is at optimum temperature. I highly suspected it's the exhaust component. Anyone has experienced something similar?

Video of the noise:

https://youtu.be/rv41QETTADE

Edited by 99Reza

Is it an off beat noise, almost as if not running correctly? Mine also makes this noise. Again can only hear it when is eco mode and sound thingy is turned off.

This may be pinking

Try a tankful of higher octane fuel such as Shell Vpower or Tesco Green energy  ( both 99 ron)

Obviously this applies to the petrol versions only

Edited by bigjohn

This may be pinking

Try a tankful of higher octane fuel such as Shell Vpower or Tesco Green energy  ( both 99 ron)

Obviously this applies to the petrol versions only

Hi - thanks for the suggestion,

I am in NZ and have only used 98 RON BP Ultimate since I got it - I don't think 99 RON is easily obtainable here!

Not sure what the dealer filled it with, but I have topped it up twice from about 1/3 of a tank since I bought it and am about to fill for the 3rd time this weekend.

Edited by Item

Is it an off beat noise, almost as if not running correctly? Mine also makes this noise. Again can only hear it when is eco mode and sound thingy is turned off.

Not really - it sort of runs along with/over the top of the engine noise. It sounds to me like some vibrating or rattling slightly along with the vibrations of either the engine firing or the Sound Actuator doing its thing...nothing sounds out of phase or off beat per se

Mine makes this noise then it's doing a regeneration, it idles just below 1000rpm, when I accelerate it makes a noise similar to this.

Hmm interesting - mine is petrol TSI, so wouldn't be the regeneration for me!

Hi - thanks for the suggestion,

I am in NZ and have only used 98 RON BP Ultimate since I got it - I don't think 99 RON is easily obtainable here!

Not sure what the dealer filled it with, but I have topped it up twice from about 1/3 of a tank since I bought it and am about to fill for the 3rd time this weekend.

Probably not the petrol if using 98 RON already - see how it goes after the next fill

Antiknock sensor? [EDIT] just re read OP - it's a new car so probably not

Edited by bigjohn

I will mention it to the dealer when they get my replacement door seals in (for the water pooling issue!) in a month or so...see what they think

I have this on my Golf R and as you mention there are lots of references on the R forum

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/8392-metal-bell-ringing-noise-from-front/?hl=ringing

The consensus seems to be it's "normal" and relates to the wastegate flap

Worth mentioning when you take you car in but nothing to worry about just a bit annoying.

• Like 1