Citigo stop/start economy

Fusioncrust123

Anyone any idea on how long the engine needs to be off using the stop/start system to make up for the extra fuel used to start the engine again? Is it always better even if just for a few seconds? Or does the engine need to be stopped for 10 seconds/15 seconds etc to make it worthwhile. I. E. How much fuel does it use when you restart the car from after its cut out using the stop/start system and compare that to how much fuel is used when stopped and idling?

Hope that makes sense, just something I was pondering on after stopping at a lot of consecutive traffic lights the other day and each time the stop start system kicked in sometimes just for a few seconds before setting off again and i was just wondering how economical that really was?

Cheers

Martin

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If memory serves it needs 40 seconds before it really starts to save fuel. But better check it from the owners manual if you like.

Thanks Emil, of course I should have just looked it up in the manual but thought I'd ask here first :-)

If it is 40 seconds then in real day to day use it probably uses more fuel as most traffic lights will be less than this.

It is rather simple. 

You have your cars, you travel your routes each days.

So use a Fuel Can, brim your tank at a filling station.  Then before starting a commute brim your tank.

Try a few days with Stop / Start functioning.

Then repeat a few days with Stop / Start off.    Then report the results.  

You can do this as often as you like, different seasons because not all drivers do the same journey, stops etc unless you are driving in convoy.

I can remember Fifth Gear tested the start stop out on a Renault a few years ago. I think they put I a litre each time and drove it until it ran out. I'm sure they got about 2 miles further with the start stop turned on.

I've noticed with my little jam-jar (a 75 BHP Elegance) that the stop/start cuts in within just a few seconds of stopping at lights/road junctions etc etc etc, but it doesn't seem to operate until the car has warmed up a little???    I'm always a little wary, especially if I happen to have the headlights or heated seats on, in which case I turn the S/S off, but in all honesty, it doesn't really seem to make any difference - perhaps a stronger alternator, although my battery is still very new???

I did go through a stage where I ALWAYS turned the S/S off, but now, I just tend to "go with the flow" & leave it on - UNLESS I'm using anything that's going to be a mega-drain on the battery, in which case, I hit the quiet button.

Restarting a hot engine does not require enrichment and the ECU will not cut the engine if the battery voltage is deemed to be too low.

Edited by ronime
  • Like 1

I've noticed with my little jam-jar (a 75 BHP Elegance) that the stop/start cuts in within just a few seconds of stopping at lights/road junctions etc etc etc, but it doesn't seem to operate until the car has warmed up a little??? I'm always a little wary, especially if I happen to have the headlights or heated seats on, in which case I turn the S/S off, but in all honesty, it doesn't really seem to make any difference - perhaps a stronger alternator, although my battery is still very new???

I did go through a stage where I ALWAYS turned the S/S off, but now, I just tend to "go with the flow" & leave it on - UNLESS I'm using anything that's going to be a mega-drain on the battery, in which case, I hit the quiet button.

The stop/start system will automatically start the engine again if the voltage drops too far on the battery so no need to worry on that count :-)

As already surmised by Michaelski, the battery and alternator are indeed uprated on GreenTec models. I suspect that the starter motor is uprated as well. Last time I looked the Citigo brochure seemed to suggest that the kerb weight was higher on the GreenTec models.

Edited by ronime

S&S also cuts seat heaters and many more heavy duty users (aircon for example) while in action. It doesn't cut indicator leds for those though, so you might think that they are working.

-eelis-

Edited by eelis

Thanks guys, who needs to read Manuals when there's readers-by-proxy out there in BriskodaLand.

But info much appreciated, & I'll even try to commit it to memory.

But I STILL don't feel too comfortable about having the headlights blazing away when the engine's not running, I must (probably am) just showing my age - they say that the old lessons are the ones that stick the longest, & in my early driving days, no-one had ANYTHING on if the pistons weren't going up & down like good 'uns.     Times have indeed changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Alternators (and cars) are smarter now than they were years ago. ;-)

I do charge the battery with battery tender every now and then. For peace of mind and to give some more mileage for the battery. I drive a lot short trips.

Alternators (and cars) are smarter now than they were years ago. (Emil)

You can say that again, Emil, & I'm pleased to say, so are some people (like me) - my previous Tonka Toy was a large Volvo, and I paid £Thousands for extras - many/most of which came as standard on the Citigo.

Vive la technology.

• Like 1

you can always override the stop start by simply keeping your foot on the clutch if you see the queue of traffic in front is going to move quickly

as to the components,

the alternator is uprated, as is the starter motor and the greentechs I am fairly certain have a larger battery

if you look at the manual it lists the conditions for stop start to stop the engine, and also the automatically restart it (one is vacuum in the brake servo dropping, with the engine stop by stop start try a few pushes on the brake to drain the vacuum from the servo :) )

from http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/365166-engine-sound-and-stopstart/?p=4327513

The stop / start system is quite a complicated process with a varying number of influences...

Conditions for the automatic engine shut down (stop phase)

› The gearshift lever is in Neutral.

› The clutch pedal is not depressed.

› The driver has fastened the seat belt.

› The driver's door is closed.

› The bonnet is closed.

› The vehicle is at a standstill.

› The engine is at operating temperature.

› The charge state of the vehicle battery is sufficient.

› The stationary vehicle is not on a steep slope or a steep downhill section.

› The engine speed is less than 1200 1/min.

› The temperature of the vehicle battery is not too low or too high.

› There is sufficient pressure in the braking system.

› The difference between the outdoor- and the set temperature in the interior is

not too great.

› The vehicle speed since the last time the engine was switched off was greater

than 3 km/h.

› The front wheels are not turned excessively (the steering angle is less than 3/4

of a steering wheel revolution).

Conditions for an automatic restart (start phase)

› The clutch is depressed.

› The max./min. temperature is set.

› The Defrost function for the windshield is switched on.

› A high blower stage has been selected.

› The START STOP button is pressed.

Conditions for an automatic restart without driver intervention

› The vehicle moves at a speed of more than 3 km/h.

› The difference between the outdoor- and the set temperature in the interior is

too great.

› The charge state of the vehicle battery is not sufficient.

› There is insufficient pressure in the braking system.

• Like 1

I guess Citigo have no idea when "The Defrost function for the windshield is switched on". But other influences works with Citigo.

I guess Citigo have no idea when "The Defrost function for the windshield is switched on". But other influences works with Citigo.

that is the heater switched up onto screen,

it is a common fault of people complaining the stop start is not working

• Like 1

that is the heater switched up onto screen,

For sure, but Citigo doesn't know when heater is switched up onto screen. It doesn't even turn aircon on when heater is switched up onto screen, or does it?

But I'll try it again tomorrow.

Edited by Emil

I can remember Fifth Gear tested the start stop out on a Renault a few years ago. I think they put I a litre each time and drove it until it ran out. I'm sure they got about 2 miles further with the start stop turned on.

I remember watching that, i cant remember the extra distance they did, but i remember being supprised at how much more ot went.

I dont have it on the citigo, but i do on our main car, after nearly rolling back a couple of times into cars its now switched off.  Being an auto with electronic handbrake with the switch in an arkward position i've had it a couple of times where i've stopped at a roundabout on a hill, the SS has cut the engine, without me noticing, off the brake to hit the gas when a gap appears to find myself rolling backwards.

It also doesnt work with a cold engine, or with the A/C on max cold.