2.0 d elegance to Vrs tdi what should I notice

Been out and about to look for new car

No problems with our Octavia but don't want to get another one the same so looking at Vrs

Looked at lots of cars but skoda seems to fir the bill again!

Mazda 6 no space mondeo nice pug 308sw again nice but felt a bit strange "very small steering wheel "but all have no space compared to Octavia what I mean by this is I'm 6"3 and if I need to I can sit behind me JUST as we take our parents out at least once a month none of the others are as roomy I was gobsmacked but honestly Octavia is more spacious or feels it.

Getting a Vrs for a few hours hoping it feels different to mine so enough to pay the extra .

Well, you should find it pretty nippy wth an extra 34ps? available. The vRS ride will b harsher but i guess thats the trade.

Seats are quite different yet supportive and you might experience more road noise.

Oh, you might smile a bit more than usual as well....

Edited by Mence
  • Like 2

Great I have 18" golus they make ride quite harsh on certain surfaces

Seats feel lot better than elegance but not drove in them if that makes any sense just really looking forward to it

I have a 150 TDI Elegance estate and a Golf GTD 5 door.

There isn't loads of difference in outright performance...the 184 suffers more low end lag but has considerably more usable torque, feels punchier at speed and is stronger higher up the revs....the 150 has a lovely mid range (goes well from about 1750 to 3.5k rpm) but isn't so keen to rev and falls flat around 4k rpm whereas the 184 will rev to nearly 4.5k before it gets really breathless....the 184 actually likes to be revved which is strange for a 4 cylinder diesel....it does have VVT though.

The Octavia has torsion beam rear suspension so despite being bigger weighs less than the Golf (same story 2.0 Elegance v vRS) so the extra power and torque is having to carry +100kgs which rather blunts it's advantage.

The two cars are like chalk and cheese to drive though...the Octavia is competent but no fun...the GTD is a drivers car...that'll be the similarity between the two Octavia I wager. I drive the Octavia because I have to...the Golf because I want to...That's the difference.

Edited by pipsypreturns

Whilst you are there take a look and drive in the Superb, several O3 drivers have changed and not regretted it, you certainly will not find the rear legroom an issue!

Several have also said the quality of the Superb is in a different league to the 03 (I have not driven an 03 so cannot comment)

My S3 is on 19’s and I certainly would not call the ride harsh or crashy... but it does have DCC (but it is mainly left in sport!)

It will be handling rather than performance where you notice the difference, and if you want to appreciate the change of trim level, go for a more strkiing colour on the VRS.

I'd also have a look at a new Superb for something more refined.

Ride quality and noise I suspect are going to be massively worse.

On the handling side the cornering is far better and the 184 actually quite likes to rev as others have said.

Don't think the elegance has the progressive steering rack either which is fantastic as well.

The other thing I noticed from driving the 150 (not elegance) as a courtesy car is brakes. Whilst the 150 stopped ok it didn't have the bite of the vRS which are fantastic.

Pipsypreturns ... which version of the Octavia3 are you referring to? Both the VRS & Scout versions have the multi-link rear suspension setup.

2.0 Elegance as what the OP currently drives. It has a beam rear axle....massive weight saving but affects handling of course.

I find my Elegance estate isnt that far behind my GTD in terms of straight line performance as its power/torque deficit is to some degree diminished by its (ridiculously for its size) low kerb weight. It however drives nothing like as well....its competent but the Golf is a proper warm hatch and handles ALOT better. That said my Elegance is on stock suspension, doesnt have the sports suspension which I am sure would make a bit of a difference.

As already mentioned its the Progressive rack that makes possibly the biggest difference...the rack in the Octavia feels very sloppy and slow in comparison to the Golf (as it would compared to a vRS).

All 4x4's have multi-link in order to accomodate the rear differential.

Only had the O3 Scout (DSG) a few months, coming from a succession of Passat estates (B4/5/6). Delights with the improvement in rear seat room compared to the O2 version & have to say handling & stability in high speed cornering under full load is very impressive! The Passats all dropped their rear os corners alarmingly when loaded... something I sorted with rubber insert spring assisters.

But of course overall handling & agility of the Scout wouldn't compare with the much smaller GT Golfs.

As a tdi owner if you can afford it go for the 220 or even the 230 with the pp diff.

The TDI is a nice car but with the dpf issues on short runs and general dieselness the petrol is a far nicer car if you can get away with any extra cost.

Two weeks ago, I picked up my MY16 Vrs TDI, replacing my 1.8 petrol Elegance 61 reg Octavia, so thought it was worth noting some of the things I've found. Of course, some things could be because I need to RTFM a bit more!!

* I had the Bluetooth / steering wheel controls on the previous car, and when I received a text message it read out the message. The new one doesn't, you have to go to the screen and then select the message to get it read out, which kind of defeats the purpose of being hands free.

* There is no foot rest for your right foot, which I previously found handy with cruise control.

* The handbrake (at least for RHD) is where the passenger used to sit :)

* The steering is completely different - the non-circular wheel and smaller lock to lock took a few miles to get used to. Fortunately no corners cut ;)

* When I stalled (oh, the shame) it restarted itself once the clutch was down. Engine start is different too, no need to hold the key in place whilst it starts, just turn the key to the start position and release, car does the rest.

* The headlights are far better than the candles in the previous car

* Blue shows the muck more than silver.

* The ride is stiffer, the engine noise is louder and the grins are much larger :)

• Like 2