2010 vRS 2.0 Tsi hesitation

Evening all. Picked up my vRS on Thursday but on the drive home I noticed a slight hesitation around 2200/2400 rpm. This was only evident on part throttle. No warning lights or anything. Took it back to the dealership who had the car until today. I explained it felt like when a coil pack starts to deteriorate. The service manager understood what I was describing and I left it with them.

Picked the car up today at 5pm, service department had just closed. The service receptionist told me " the Workshop manager has driven it and there's nothing wrong with it "

I got about 100 yards down the road and it's still there. It's not as bad as a misfire, it's more of a slight stutter / hesitation. It doesn't happen at all at full throttle. I know Im not imagining it.

The dealership said it's also not throwing any fault codes.

I've read a few bits of info on here regarding intake valves being carboned up etc but the car has one done 52k and is on a 10 plate.

It's got a 12 month Skoda warranty so not too concerned yet.

Any ideas?

Buy a $20 endoscope off ebay and feed it through the oxygen sensor port.  You'll probably only be able to see cyl 2 & 3 but you'll get a fair idea how bad it is.

I assume fuel filter & spark plugs are OK?

No, it was doing it before the major service. The plugs were fitted as part of the service. The dealership are insisting there is nothing wrong. I suggested a failing coil pack to them but the dismissed it as " nothing wrong "

Edited by Jondvrs

No, it was doing it before the major service. The plugs were fitted as part of the service. The dealership are insisting there is nothing wrong. I suggested a failing coil pack to them but the dismissed it as " nothing wrong "

Have they proved that there are no errors by showing you a VCDS printout?  Keep at them and insist an engineer goes out with you whilst it's cold (obviously you'd need to leave it over night).  I had to go out with three different Evan's Halshaw monkeys before they would admit my gearbox was faulty in my Astra VXR. Just keep on at them.  FWIW mine does this too, and in honesty, the car is freaking AWFUL to drive first thing.  I always sit in the car for 45-60s after starting it to get the oil circulating around and slightly warm before setting off, and even then it's 10 mins of gentle driving before I give it any beans.  When mine is cold, first gear at 2000-2500 is hoppier than a horny kangaroo.  

it's a shame that you're 2 hours away from me as it sounds like we have similar issues.  Mine is on 70k now so I think carbon build up is certanly at least part of the issue. When you're sat idling, does the car twitch also? Does it feel like someone is kicking your seat, particularly once warm?

Edited by planehazza

What I found strange is it tends to do it regardless of whether the engine is warm or cold. I'd say it does it 80% of the time. The dealership ( main dealer) say there are no fault codes and the Workshop manager and technician have both driven it and say there is absolutely nothing wrong.

I've emailed them last night expressing my concerns and I'm waiting for a reply. I've only had the car 5 days, and the dealership has had it for 3 of those. Not impressed.

Every now and again it does an odd hiccup at idle which I've noticed more when it's warm. The dealership deny this and are trying to say I'm imagining it. Mines only done 52k so I'm hoping it's not carbon build up or they can have the car back.

Every now and again it does an odd hiccup at idle which I've noticed more when it's warm. The dealership deny this and are trying to say I'm imagining it. Mines only done 52k so I'm hoping it's not carbon build up or they can have the car back.

Most say carbon build up becomes an issue 60-70k+ plus I've seen reports of it happening at 40k or even 30k.

We had a hesitation issue at 2000 - 2500rpm. It would accelerate then the power would drop then accelerate again. It almost felt like an automatic making a slow gear change. Was in tuning place for a few days to get diagnosed and eventually they thought carbon build up on turbo vanes. The readings on the dyno showed the ecu asking for full boost then asking for no boost then full boost again several times between the rev range then back to normal after 2500rpm. Managed to clear it by temporarily fitting a Golf actuator as it works the opposite way seemingly and they think it had managed to clear the carbon by moving the vanes differently. They also put a turbo cleaner in the tank not sure which one though. Original actuator back on and it's more or less been OK since, apart from a very slight murmer sometimes. A few accelerations at that rev range and it seems to clear it. That's on a diesel though. Wouldn't have thought carbon would affect a petrol so easily.

• 6 months later...

Any progress with this issue? Mine is doing this, and it makes gentle driving unpleasant. Trying to gently pull away accurately is hard, as you'll press the accelerator, and it'll stutter/hestitate at 2500rpm then pick up again. Could a dodgy DV cause this? I'm thinking that the diaphragm in mine may have split, given it's a 2009/10 TSI.

• 3 months later...

Bump.  Driving me mad.   I'll being cruising along with my foot on the accelerator to keep it at 30, then I'll lift the pedal very slightly and car decelerates more than I think it should - it's like I've lifted off the accelerator entirely.

Conversely, when pulling away in first, it's hard to keep a solid acceleration rate.  Put the pedal down a hair's width further, and off it kangaroos.  Could it be something as simple/stupid and a binding handbrake or bad tracking?

2 minutes ago, Offski said:

Have those 4 spark plugs fitted last April been taken out,

all 4 and inspected and the gap checked, and while at it new plugs fitted anyway?

I'm not the OP, so I didn't fit plugs then, but I have had new plugs about 18 months ago.  I haven't got a gap tool, but they looked OK visually when I last had them out. I am leaning towards plugs or coilpacks as the last time I did any VCDS logging, there was a few misfire counts.

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 1