Infotainment battery symbol and other oddities

Apologies for double post - newbie on this forum - can't see where to delete it!  

Recently acquired September 2015 Octavia Estate "Business" trim - can anyone enlighten me about some things which don't seem to be referred to in the manuals:

1) A small battery symbol is sometimes showing on the top bar of the info system screen.  It's not always there, and is currently showing red (almost empty) despite 2 reasonable (1 hour) runs yesterday.  Presume this is a battery for the info system not the main car battery?  Also, why is it run down? Should I turn the info system off when the car is parked?  

2) a rocker switch on the RH side of the steering wheel has the phone connection at the bottom, but what is the symbol at the top that looks like a car being shaken ? Doesn't seem to do anything.... 

3) the auto stop-start is great but I cannot figure out what the logic is when it's worth putting the (auto) transmission in park, rather than keeping my foot on the brake.  Sometimes the engine stays off but other times it restarts as soon as I release the brake pressure and I cannot figure out the system logic (e.g. "keep your foot on the brake until it's been in park for 1 second" or something like that).     

Thanks 

Steve

Edited by stevelast

1) You likely have your phone connected by Bluetooth and it's your phone's battery status. Next to it you have your phone's signal strength.

2) If it was 1st April I would tell you the button on top of the call button is for activating the hydraulic suspension and making the car bounce around. It's actually to bring up your car's active safety settings. On mine it brings up front assist on the maxidot if I recall correctly and I can choose to disable this.

3) Not sure in respect to putting into park as I just keep my foot on the brake and don't put the car into park. The engine restarts as soon as it detects your releasing pressure on the brakes so that the engine is firedup and ready to move the car by the time the brakes are fully released. Sometimes stop start might disable if there is some significant electrical drain on the battery e.g. heating AC on.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

• Like 1

stevelast, on 12 Apr 2016 - 12:27, said:stevelast, on 12 Apr 2016 - 12:27, said:

Apologies for double post - newbie on this forum - can't see where to delete it!  

Recently acquired September 2015 Octavia Estate "Business" trim - can anyone enlighten me about some things which don't seem to be referred to in the manuals:

1) A small battery symbol is sometimes showing on the top bar of the info system screen.  It's not always there, and is currently showing red (almost empty) despite 2 reasonable (1 hour) runs yesterday.  Presume this is a battery for the info system not the main car battery?  Also, why is it run down? Should I turn the info system off when the car is parked?  

2) a rocker switch on the RH side of the steering wheel has the phone connection at the bottom, but what is the symbol at the top that looks like a car being shaken ? Doesn't seem to do anything.... 

3) the auto stop-start is great but I cannot figure out what the logic is when it's worth putting the (auto) transmission in park, rather than keeping my foot on the brake.  Sometimes the engine stays off but other times it restarts as soon as I release the brake pressure and I cannot figure out the system logic (e.g. "keep your foot on the brake until it's been in park for 1 second" or something like that).     

Thanks 

Steve

NEVER put the car in park when at traffic lights. If you get rear-ended, it'll wreck your gearbox.

If you want to take the car out of Drive, put it in neutral and use the handbrake.

Edited by JD52
  • Like 1

The pressure you apply to the brakes also acts a trigger for the S/S to activate - you can brake gently and bring the car to a stop without S/S kicking in.  Conversely, if you reduce the brake pressure at standstill (but not enough to allow the car to move), the engine will restart,

1) You likely have your phone connected by Bluetooth and it's your phone's battery status. Next to it you have your phone's signal strength.

2) If it was 1st April I would tell you the button on top of the call button is for activating the hydraulic suspension and making the car bounce around. It's actually to bring up your car's active safety settings. On mine it brings up front assist on the maxidot if I recall correctly and I can choose to disable this.

3) Not sure in respect to putting into park as I just keep my foot on the brake and don't put the car into park. The engine restarts as soon as it detects your releasing pressure on the brakes so that the engine is firedup and ready to move the car by the time the brakes are fully released. Sometimes stop start might disable if there is some significant electrical drain on the battery e.g. heating AC on.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

Many thanks - should have realised the battery symbol wasn't there when the phone wasn't in the car!  

Will have to look up the safety settings stuff.  

I understand the stop-start principles, it's just the exact system logic is defeating me. I know it's not good for traffic lights, it's lengthy queuing in traffic that needs it sometimes, and I find it weird that sometimes I can put in park and the green "brake to re-start" is showing, other times the engine just re-starts itself as soon as the foot-brake is relaxed. I'll try the "neutral and handbrake" option instead.          

Edited by stevelast

NEVER put the car in park when at traffic lights. If you get rear-ended, it'll wreck your gearbox.

If you want to take the car out of Drive, put it in neutral and use the handbrake.

+1 the DSG uses a fecking great metal pin (think VAG refer to it as the parking pawl) that gets fired through the diff when put in park to effectively lock up the box and prevent the car moving.

The thing is very heavy duty but it can be broken....this is one surefire way to knacker it. I also would never leave the car in park on any kind of slope without putting the handbrake on securely as the weight of the vehicle otherwise rests on the pawl and can damage it or worse the gearbox if it were to give out.

• Like 1

This has been discussed elsewhere recently. It's called PARK for a reason. It's not called "USE THIS GEAR POSITION WHILE WAITING AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS".

(Apart from the fact that wouldn't fit on the gear display.)

• Like 1

I understand the stop-start principles, it's just the exact system logic is defeating me. I know it's not good for traffic lights, it's lengthy queuing in traffic that needs it sometimes, and I find it weird that sometimes I can put in park and the green "brake to re-start" is showing, other times the engine just re-starts itself as soon as the foot-brake is relaxed. I'll try the "neutral and handbrake" option instead.          

Nah, the green brake pedal symbol is saying that you need to depress the brake to move out of park. Once you move the lever towards drive, the engine will restart.

Something I've noticed is that occasionally S/S will be disabled when depressing the brake, but if I'm in a big queue and move the lever to park then it'll stop. I guess the ECU figures that if I'm in park then I'm anticipating a lengthier stop. Does it do the same in neutral?

That's what auto dimming mirrors are for

Have you seen brightness of the new Ford and BMW led headlights though? These are so bright that where the beam is focused, they burn my retiners even with the auto dimming mirror.

Start stop only worth it if the engine is stopped for more than 30 seconds. 

You have to move the selector lever quickly from D through N and R to P otherwise it will think you want to re-start the bugger. 

#3. It's better to put the car in neutral when parking at traffic lights so as not to keeps dazzling the driver behind with bright brake lights!!

Does anyone actually become dazzled by brakelights? Ive been annoyed by standing behind someone with the foot on the brakes.

Its annoying

No, what annoying is the fact that you are stationary instead of driving, doesn't matter whats caused it, you are in a car not going anywhere, the whole purpose of being in a car is to go somewhere and when you are not moving, its annoying.

That alone is whats annoying, the person in front's brakes lights are just something to focus on

Its not rocket science, is it ?

Regards

T

No, what annoying is the fact that you are stationary instead of driving, doesn't matter whats caused it, you are in a car not going anywhere, the whole purpose of being in a car is to go somewhere and when you are not moving, its annoying.

That alone is whats annoying, the person in front's brakes lights are just something to focus on

Regards

T

I'm impressed, that is philosophising at a level that made Alfred Doolittle famous. Edited by Gerrycan

No, what annoying is the fact that you are stationary instead of driving, doesn't matter whats caused it, you are in a car not going anywhere, the whole purpose of being in a car is to go somewhere and when you are not moving, its annoying.

Regards

T

Sorry my mistake I forgot you were a rocket scientist. I thought someone with you intelligence would not prowl forums.

There is no need to say "It's not rocket science is it" when someone is just pointing out what is actually annoying them, whilst sat in a que of traffic especially at night behind someone with their foot sat on their brake pedal. Brake lights these days are very bright and when they are shining in your direction for some time it gets annoying.

Edited by MR99VXR
  • Like 1

I don't find it annoying, but respect it is subjective. When I am last in the queue I will keep the foot on brake always.

If it looks like we are stationary for a long time I will put the DSG in Park. I am not doing it while waiting for the signal to go green or similar. To my knowledge there is nothing in the Danish highway code that says you cannot keep the foot on the brake. 

1) A small battery symbol is sometimes showing on the top bar of the info system screen. It's not always there, and is currently showing red (almost empty) despite 2 reasonable (1 hour) runs yesterday. Presume this is a battery for the info system not the main car battery? Also, why is it run down? Should I turn the info system off when the car is parked?

2) a rocker switch on the RH side of the steering wheel has the phone connection at the bottom, but what is the symbol at the top that looks like a car being shaken ? Doesn't seem to do anything....

3) the auto stop-start is great but I cannot figure out what the logic is when it's worth putting the (auto) transmission in park, rather than keeping my foot on the brake. Sometimes the engine stays off but other times it restarts as soon as I release the brake pressure and I cannot figure out the system logic (e.g. "keep your foot on the brake until it's been in park for 1 second" or something like that).

Thanks

Steve

As someone rightly stated put the car into Park when stationary in traffic and if you are 'rear ended' the resultant damage to your car could be severe. You could always use the Handbrake?

I find the park slot good on the dsg box when parked on a hill as I have little faith in the skoda Handbrake when on incline. At least the pawl key in the dsg bites and stops the car rolling.