dont panic!

had 2 new tyres on the front, had the tyre off the steel spare put on the rear replacing the new firestone id had to buy, drove 10 miles and the tyre pressure warning light came on, checked tyres at garage, 35 fronts, put 36 in the rears (for now) but they were at 32, reset the pressure thing...

no puncture i could see

is this normal?

Perfectly normal that Drivers, even professionals get in a vehicle with new tyres or adjusted pressures, 

do not ask what they are set at or adjust their self and then set the TPMS.

Dangerous really, and more owners / drivers need to read the Owners Manuals, and give safety a thought.

& More Tyre Fitting Centres and staff should mention it to customers.

I didn't even know I had a tyre pressure sensor. Where's that then?

You will probably have indirect TPMS where the ABS module compares the rotation of the four wheels to each other rather than direct system with dedicated sensors mounted in each wheel.

If you do have an indirect system it needs to be reset if the tyres are changed, wheels rotated or air added - this can normally be done by either a dedicated TPMS button or via the MFD.

There is more info about the indirect and direct systems here: http://www.my-gti.com/321/volkswagen-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-tpms

• Like 2

It's normal alright and happens every time I change either the wheel or the tyre pressure.  Once there is any change at all made to pressures or the tyres, the sensor will detect that something is different to the last reset/calibration.  It does take a few miles for the sensor to detect and 10 miles sounds about right. 

Edited by Superb170