List of apps that work with Android Auto in S3

I spent a few days using Android Auto exclusively to replace the built-in Columbus satnav and music player functions, and I am starting to think that it is actually better.

Apps that play music:

- Google Music

- Amazon Music

- TuneIn

Apps that deliver messages that Google can read out using text-to-speech:

- Hangouts

- WhatsApp

- SMS

Wish list:

- Skype (with voice calls)

- Waze

- Facebook Messenger (or does it work already?)

- Viber

- Replying to messages with voice (at the moment it refuses to do so)

What other apps have you found to work in Android Auto and what is on your wish list?

Music - Spotify,

For me, the built in sat nav is better.

Amazon music - you cant search for tracks, just preset albums or custom play lists.

Edited by RickTT

Im told Sygic, Navigation works says it will on the web site, hope so as I have bought it and like it.

http://www.sygic.com/car-navigation/features

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001303_android_auto_all?hl=en_GB

Nope - it does not appear in the app list on the unit even when the online and offline versions are installed.  (with a LG G3 at least).

These apps may support Android auto.. but the units may not.

I have all the "useful" apps listed.

Edited by RickTT

Ill still have to try it, as the web site and link attached show it working in a VW with Columbus type head unit.??? My phone is a Samsung S6 running 5.1 so it could be different. The Skoda site also states the Columbus unit has Mirrorlink and Android Auto, so I would imagine it is compatible with the S6 and android 5.1 Samsung say the phone is also compatible. Get my car next week so Ill just have to see what happens, early days for Android Auto and Im sure it will improve in the future and become more compatible with more and more apps.

Nope - it does not appear in the app list on the unit even when the online and offline versions are installed.  (with a LG G3 at least).

These apps may support Android auto.. but the units may not.

I have all the "useful" apps listed.

I'd hope that if an app supports Android Auto it'll work on any head unit that also supports Auto. If not, it makes the concept next to useless because you are then still at the mercy of the car manufacturer for which apps you can use. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if this is the case and if it is, we'll end up with lists of compatible smartphones, compatible o/s versions, compatible Android Auto version and compatible apps.

"Yes sir, you can use that app if you upgrade to the Columbus and have a Samsung S6 with Android 5.2 running Auto 2.1." :)

I installed around 20 of the approved apps. Only around 5 or 6 are shown on the menu on the car unit when the phone is connected.

Only media player apps are selectable. Messaging apps (including Skype) only show notifications for incoming messages and send voice-to-text replies.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I had a Fabia courtesy car least week with Smart Link and Mirror Link.

The Sygic In Car Navigation works with Mirror Link, BUT it would continually disconnect for some reason.

Whilst looking around a Suzuki Vitara, the salesman explained due to certain rules, Mirror link disconnects every time you apply the Handbrake. Not sure if this is true or not, but this would explain what I was experiencing.

I could not get the Sygic satnav to work with Android Auto, only Google Maps.

As an aside, I have Sygic GPS Satnav installed on my phone and find it more intuitive than their In Car Satnav.

Deezer Music Streaming works with Android Auto.

Waze is coming soon to AA.

"Soon" was said in April 2015. Not sure what they mean with "soon", but for a google-owned company purely building a navigation app, it's ridiculous they don't have it working by now.

• Like 1

... next to useless because you are then still at the mercy of the car manufacturer for which apps you can use.

also to Google you must say thank you, thank you, thank you - Android Auto is country dependent

https://www.android.com/intl/en_us/auto/

Android Auto compatible vehicles and stereos are currently available in:

Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States.

2016.04.05 +

Argentina, Austria, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatamala, India, Panama, Paraguay, Peru,

Puerto Rico, Russia, Switzerland, Uruguay, Venezuela

I have noticed with mine when connected, when i click on the microphone i get some android auto voice saying "you dont have an active internet connection" even though im streaming from the phone or using google maps

I have noticed with mine when connected, when i click on the microphone i get some android auto voice saying "you dont have an active internet connection" even though im streaming from the phone or using google maps

Never happened to me.

Things discovered recently:

- the lists in Android Auto can be scrolled through with the right rotary control on the head unit as well as using the touch screen;

- the voice input of Android Auto can be invoked by a long press on the voice button on the steering wheel (short press only starts car voice control);

- an incoming SMS / text / Hangouts / WhatsApp / Skype message causes a pop-up notification but the message text is never displayed. If you long-press on the notification then the text will be read out to you and you can reply to by voice, but you can't send a message to anyone else - you can only reply to the latest message.

- Android Auto is much more reliable after the latest update;

- voice commands available in Android Auto is only a small subset of what Google Now can do;

- other languages work but not as good as English;

- some of the responses to voice commands can cause hysterical laughs :)

• 4 weeks later...

"Soon" was said in April 2015. Not sure what they mean with "soon", but for a google-owned company purely building a navigation app, it's ridiculous they don't have it working by now.

We're getting nearer to waze becoming a reality: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/05/18/waze-comes-android-auto-one-many-new-features/84459926/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-techtopstories

But again: in the next few months. I work in the IT-sector and we can tell exactly when something new will be ready. I hate it when Google does these vague promisses.