Relay J279 - problems with Climatronic

jerry81

Hi,

Recently I have strange problem with climatronic, sometime it stuck on heating  (doesn't matter is A/C on or off), sometime heating works and every 1-2min. there is blow of cold air for 3-4sec. and heating works again (same happened vice versa with cooling change to heating).

After diagnostic there is same error occur few times:

https://goo.gl/photos/6imGQHtHTgXkbr396

Can some one be able to tell me where to look for relay J279? Is it fitted together with fan control module?

It's one of two (or possibly more) relays soldered onto a small PCB inside the fan control unit, assuming yours looks something like the one on this page. The one pictured just has 2 relays inside, not sure on your car.

It's one of two (or possibly more) relays soldered onto a small PCB inside the fan control unit, assuming yours looks something like the one on this page. The one pictured just has 2 relays inside, not sure on your car.

Sorry forgot to mention it is Skoda Rapid MY2013 1.6 TDI (105HP) Elegance.

I was looking on similar picture before, any idea where I can find it in the car? You think whole module need to be replace or relay inside can be replace?

Thanks!

Edited by jerry81

On Fabia and Polo from around 2005 it's located very close to the radiator, on a bracket hanging off the left chassis leg, with the wiring connectors facing downwards.  May be hard to spot in a busy modern engine bay, probably easier from underneath.

The unit is sealed and not designed to be taken apart, so not very easy, but possible, if the relay were proven to be at fault.  It's an open-frame relay, I can't remember whether they have any identifying markings.  Check the fuses and wiring first.  Sorry I don't have info on either for the Rapid.

• Like 1

I should think it will be worth your while waiting for someone with knowledge of this fan control stuff in the Rapid model before you spend anything. I may be wrong about J279 being part of that unit in your model, and I'd hate for you to waste money due to my knowledge being too generic.

Edit: And check any/all relevant fuses too.

Edited by Wino

• 5 months later...

Hello,

Did it help to change your module?

I did it last saturday because I had the same VAG-error as you, concerning this J279 (it's a relay within the J293 module).

But after replacement and a reset of the alarms, the problem comes back.

My symptoms are that when I turn A/C on, the radiator fans only runs at a really high speed every 20 seconds for about 5 seconds. No constant low speed.

I suspect a wiring problem but I can't even find any information abour where the wires pass through the car.

Does somebody know where the J293 is actually wired?

Edited by philmae

Hello,

Did it help to change your module?

I did it last saturday because I had the same VAG-error as you, concerning this J279 (it's a relay within the J293 module).

But after replacement and a reset of the alarms, the problem comes back.

My symptoms are that when I turn A/C on, the radiator fans only runs at a really high speed every 20 seconds for about 5 seconds. No constant low speed.

I suspect a wiring problem but I can't even find any information abour where the wires pass through the car.

Does somebody know where the J293 is actually wired?

What car do you have? (Year, model, engine type)

I forgot, excuse me.
It's a Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDI year 2000 (6y2 mk1).
Following the workshop manual I should check the wiring. And I don't want to go to a garage before checking the maximum myself.

Is it possible that this error occurs if there is a wiring problem between the fan controle module and the fans? Perhaps the relay does not "reply" because of a short-circuit?

Or can it only be caused by bad wiring between the climatic command module and the fan control module, as the workshop manual says?

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/heating_air_conditioning/heating_air_conditioning/self_diagnosis_v.a.g_inspection_service/self-diagnosis_of_the_air_conditioning_ii/fault_table/

The only fault I found on VDCS is the following :
00705 Relay for Coolant Fan; Stage 1 (J279)
009 Open or Shortb to Groud

I would like to do it, already tried to check the 2 connector attached near the windshield washer hose and the battery, but found nothing except the pin 5 a little bit "yellow" and who seems to be the ground anyway.

But I cannot find any other place to check, as I cannot see exactly where the wires from the J293 module goes, from up the bonnet.

Edited by philmae