USB connection to Bolero stereo

Hi,

I have recently bought a Fabia III Monte Carlo and am experiencing issues with the stereo system.

I've used my iPod quite happily for the last three years in the Swing stereo in my Mk2 Fabia using the lead provided. However, when I connected my iPod to the Bolero in my Mk3, there are playback issues. There are short 'breaks' in the playback from my iPod to the point where it's almost impossible to listen to. 

The breaks in sound don't seem to follow a regular pattern, whether the car is moving or stationery, whether the stereo is loud or quiet. I've also tried 'jiggling' the USB cable where it's plugged in to the car and the iPod but can't seem to find a consistent fault.

I have replaced the USB cable and have even swapped iPods to no avail.

Is anybody else experiencing similar issues? Is there a compatibility issue between iPods and the Bolero stereo? Not really sure what else to try unless I just whack all my songs on to an SD card?

Cheers.

Can't comment on the iPod issue but it sounds very strange I have put everything on a SD card and that works fine. Does the bolero pick up the iPod as an iPod or something else ?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have recently bought a Fabia III Monte Carlo and am experiencing issues with the stereo system.

I've used my iPod quite happily for the last three years in the Swing stereo in my Mk2 Fabia using the lead provided. However, when I connected my iPod to the Bolero in my Mk3, there are playback issues. There are short 'breaks' in the playback from my iPod to the point where it's almost impossible to listen to. 

The breaks in sound don't seem to follow a regular pattern, whether the car is moving or stationery, whether the stereo is loud or quiet. I've also tried 'jiggling' the USB cable where it's plugged in to the car and the iPod but can't seem to find a consistent fault.

I have replaced the USB cable and have even swapped iPods to no avail.

Is anybody else experiencing similar issues? Is there a compatibility issue between iPods and the Bolero stereo? Not really sure what else to try unless I just whack all my songs on to an SD card?

Cheers.

I'll try my wife's ipod on my Bolero when I get the chance and see what happens.

Are you using a genuine Apple lead? I've heard of people having issues with cheap knockoffs, but that's with the more recent Lightning connectors not the older iPods with the 30-Pin connector. 

I have the Bolero and tested the iPod connection (with an iPod Classic) when new, it worked and Bolero saw it as an iPod so i could navigate Artist/Album etc, it even showed a Skoda logo on the iPod screen. I didnt spend long listening to music though, i simply copied all my files to an SD card and used the 'Database view' which is identical to the iPod method.

However i will take time over the next few days and re-connect the iPod for a decent time this time, and report back.

cheers

Gus

Both the iPods I've used are Classics. When I plug in the USB cable (it is a genuine Apple product, I also purchased a brand new one after getting the car to see if the old one was the cause); the Bolero recognises the iPod as an iPod and all the functionality the Swing stereo had is there. I also get the Skoda logo coming up on the iPod screen which is something the Swing didn't do (just had 'MEDIA-IN' on the screen).

Last night I tested the socket by playing music off my iPhone through CarPlay instead. No issues with playback there at all. 

Back to the iPod with USB lead again, and back to the repeated short 'breaks' in the music playback. It actually stops and starts rather than just the sound going off and back on. 

Weird. I wonder if Apple have changed the protocols since the Classics, and that Skoda are using the more recent protocols. Does the iPhone work ok not over CarPlay? I'm wondering if the more modern devices with Lightning are OK, while the 30-pin Apple devices are too old. I've not got my car yet so I can't check!

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got round to testing other devices in my USB socket.

Both my iPhone 6 and my friend's iPhone 6 playback music absolutely fine when paired with the stereo on Apple CarPlay, however when I change the phones to just a USB device the breaks in playback return. It can't be a faulty socket or lightning cable as it works fine on CarPlay.

iTunes claims my iPod is running the latest software but is an old product, but my iPhone 6 is running the latest version of ios and has the same issues when plugged in as a USB device rather than connected through Apple CarPlay. Interestingly, the Bolero also allows playback of all tracks saved on my phone when connected as USB, but will only play selected songs through CarPlay.

Strange then. What's different between the songs it will and won't play?

Its all Apple so all the same format, do you use iTunes match or whatever it's called now? Which app are you playing through iTunes or spotify?

• 1 year later...
On 5/13/2016 at 11:30, robbo84klfc said:

iTunes claims my iPod is running the latest software but is an old product, but my iPhone 6 is running the latest version of ios and has the same issues when plugged in as a USB device rather than connected through Apple CarPlay. Interestingly, the Bolero also allows playback of all tracks saved on my phone when connected as USB, but will only play selected songs through CarPlay.

Maybe it does not like your music..

Mine misbehaves when I really turn up the volume. No sense to that one either

Hayden