Alternator lead

Had the AA come out as car died all warning lights on dash had to get a new battery and and fuse box on top of the battery as the black lead running from the alternator the far left lead on fuse box is getting red hot, AA man said I need new lead but I don't know what the lead is called or where to get one? Please help

As the lead gets that hot it steams water droplets if dropped on it? Any help is greatly received.

I am not sure of the term, but its an earth strap from that fuse box to the side of the alternator.  It's a long bit of loom and fiddly to get to, but they can go.

I "might" have a spare one at home.

• Like 1

Basically he is saying don't drive the car unless you have to. What you are getting is excessive resistance in the wire, which is causing the heat build up (essentially the electrons are encountering a bottle neck in the wire, causing them to back up and create heat). What can happen, is that if it gets too hot, then the insulation could potentially melt and cause an under bonnet fire - destroying the car. Best option is to take a picture of the cable in question, and post it in the thread so someone can ID for you to be able to get a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

I might have one of these spare as well. I've just got a box full of vRS engine loom. Pulled it out, took one look at it, got scared and rammed it all back in again! Can have a look if you need one.

The good news is that I have the alternator sub-loom. The bad news is that someone has hacked part of it off, the bar steward! Therefore, I can't sell it to you, but if you pay for the postage, you can have it and make what you will of it.

post-109763-0-00040300-1464109402_thumb.jpg

post-109763-0-81541300-1464109449_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

I have just had the same problem and ordered the part which i will be shortly going to TPS to collect. Some of the wire threads were red steaming hot last night on my way back home from Sheffield. £48.51 plus vat.

• Like 1