Brake issue

Ive had a feeling i had brake brinding, how ever now when i put it into reverse, i get noise like the hand brake is on. The rears already have springs fitted. Could this be the handbrake cables? Are they prone to not releasing ? 

I will take the calipers off and clean them up on all contact points that slide and clean the pins, what else would anyone suggest?

Could be the handbrake cable has been over adjusted,stopping the calipers returning fully off.

But most likely one of the calipers,if not both,are suffering from the common stickiness.

Putting springs on used calipers does help for a while,but is not a fix for the problem.

Fit the springs to new/recon calipers and they should last for years longer :)

Could be the handbrake cable has been over adjusted,stopping the calipers returning fully off.

But most likely one of the calipers,if not both,are suffering from the common stickiness.

Putting springs on used calipers does help for a while,but is not a fix for the problem.

Fit the springs to new/recon calipers and they should last for years longer :)

I havent fitted springs on old calipers, they where already on when buying the car, so unsure how long. I will try a good clean and work the mech, hopefully not new calipers needed ><

Im having same issues.

Noise is horrendous when reversing on the 256mm brakes.

I've recently changed one of the rear calipers to a refurbed one and have helper springs in and now can't tell if its both or just the one rear.

Will look into the handbrake cable as its the cheaper option,

But i have mixed feedback with the Handbrake maybe sometimes.

Sounds like I've ran over a whale in the mornings. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

To find out whether one or both are binding, find a loose gritty area and try a reverse on it, then look at the tyre marks on the road surface.

DB.

• Like 1

Im having same issues.

Noise is horrendous when reversing on the 256mm brakes.

I've recently changed one of the rear calipers to a refurbed one and have helper springs in and now can't tell if its both or just the one rear.

Will look into the handbrake cable as its the cheaper option,

But i have mixed feedback with the Handbrake maybe sometimes.

Sounds like I've ran over a whale in the mornings. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This with the 256mm brakes is common,nowt you can do about it except fit the harmonic balancer kit ;)

Got them on mine,silent when reversing :)

Edited by coskev
  • Like 1

i have sorted mine today, at least for now. Not sure if they will last. But both where binding badly, i got a extra 8 mpg on a well driven route :P

- N/s rear piston was fully out, this may be ceased? I used some PlusGas on it and it wound back ok, will need to keep my eye on this.

- I undid slide pins and took pads out cleaned all contact area and copper greased

- I cleaned the slider pin (lots of back grease, was bit of a mess. I used cotton buds to get in.

- I couldn't find silicon grease, so all i had was bike lube which is Teflon.

- I released the hand brake cable, inside & on caliper, decreased, and put new grease all around then worked the mechanism a lot.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/210558-brake-anti-squeal-kit-part-number-anyone-know-it/

Pics of it in that thread ;)

Not sure the real name of it! :D

Some people say it's a weight,but it is rubber and not very heavy.

So others say it's some sort of dampner of noise .

Please note this is only needed on 256mm rear brakes.

I fitted the "anti-mooing" kit to mine about 2 years ago when I fitted the 256mm upgrade. I was a bit dubious at first, spending best part of £130 on a couple of rubber weights, but they worked!!

Had silent brakes ever since!

• Like 1

My car has also just started the same symptoms from the passenger side rear...

I was hoping to free off the sticky piston instead of going down the route of new caliper!

Also have brand new drilled and grooved discs and pads to go on :)

My car has also just started the same symptoms from the passenger side rear...

I was hoping to free off the sticky piston instead of going down the route of new caliper!

Also have brand new drilled and grooved discs and pads to go on :)

Im sure they will look nice, but the backs seem to do such little work doubt it will make any difference. 

Im sure they will look nice, but the backs seem to do such little work doubt it will make any difference.

It's more the piston I'm most concerned about! It's like the brake is fully on while driving, short journey = red hot alloy wheel...

Just hope I can free it off!

It's more the piston I'm most concerned about! It's like the brake is fully on while driving, short journey = red hot alloy wheel...

Just hope I can free it off!

ye thats what mine was like, the piston wound back in. But i fear if its done it once its only a matter of time untill it happens again. Both rear seals didnt look so cleaver also.

I will see how they go, but coming to terms with buying new, they dont break the bank: http://www.vwspares.co.uk/fabiabrakes.php

Edited by FromTheDarkness

The piston is not the issue,they usaully do wind in ok.

It's the handbrake arm on the caliper not returning fully off which is the issue.

You should be able to clean it up and get it working a bit better,but a new caliper is the only real fix.

You will find it requires the handbrake arm knocking back onto the stop about once a month from my experience with them :)