Roof Box

Ok - Having spoken to Roof box co uk & doing some measuring up - went for a Hapro box but not the 

traxer 5.6 ..went for the traxer 6.6 in anthracite ....Gloss Black was too big a jump in price for my liking

Box ordered on next day delivery received today

Literally Fitted in Minutes - The Claw type premium fit clamps are excellent and easy to use and gripped the Skoda roof bars really well

(i did buy the T channel adaptors just in case) 

Really Happy with my choice now size wise - as you can see in the pics - nice and central and no fouling the hatch or massive windscreen overhang

Plus i have plenty of room at the side of it for my bike rack

Steve

That looks great Steve, will be placing my order for the 5.6 this week.  Am thinking of going for the wingbars rather than the steel square bars given how much of the bars will be uncovered - not sure what difference they will make to the fuel economy but if it buys a little extra then ok. 

Just got all the stuff today from roofbox.co.uk, everything looks great but slightly disappointed in the fixing kit.  Apparently the maximum load is 60kg and 23kg is lost in the box and bars etc, was surprised to see it so low.

Ok - Having spoken to Roof box co uk & doing some measuring up - went for a Hapro box but not the 

traxer 5.6 ..went for the traxer 6.6 in anthracite ....Gloss Black was too big a jump in price for my liking

Box ordered on next day delivery received today

Literally Fitted in Minutes - The Claw type premium fit clamps are excellent and easy to use and gripped the Skoda roof bars really well

(i did buy the T channel adaptors just in case) 

Really Happy with my choice now size wise - as you can see in the pics - nice and central and no fouling the hatch or massive windscreen overhang

Plus i have plenty of room at the side of it for my bike rack

Steve

Steve

Would I be able to ask a favour.

Could you look in the documentation of your bars and let me know what the maximum weight limit is please, and also if possible a photograph of the feet and connection part to the roof?

The reason I ask is the Thule parts I have got are saying a maximum weight limit including bars, box and cargo of 60Kg yet all the websites I am seeing the Skoda one is saying 95Kg.  From what I can gather Thule make the Skoda ones so I cannot really see why there is a difference.

Thanks

Paul

Cant seem to find the manual at the moment

Connection to roof is similar to most recent skodas - there are two holes on underside of roof where the doors meet it

obviously 2 behind each door - the clamp part then has two pegs that go up into the holes and then when you pull clamp lever down it tightens it all up

it does seem odd that 60kg limit you mention as that box i bought has a limit of 75kg on its own (and thats NOT including the weight of the box itself which is 18kg)

looking at the superb brochure it says a max permissable roof load (which i'm guessing includes bars/box and contents) of 100kg

so for me

box 18kg

bars 6kg (for the pair estimated - not actually weighed)

so even if i loaded the box to the max it allows(which i wont) - i would still be 1kg below what skoda say the roof can take

Cant seem to find the manual at the moment

Connection to roof is similar to most recent skodas - there are two holes on underside of roof where the doors meet it

obviously 2 behind each door - the clamp part then has two pegs that go up into the holes and then when you pull clamp lever down it tightens it all up

it does seem odd that 60kg limit you mention as that box i bought has a limit of 75kg on its own (and thats NOT including the weight of the box itself which is 18kg)

looking at the superb brochure it says a max permissable roof load (which i'm guessing includes bars/box and contents) of 100kg

so for me

box 18kg

bars 6kg (for the pair estimated - not actually weighed)

so even if i loaded the box to the max it allows(which i wont) - i would still be 1kg below what skoda say the roof can take

Thanks, just in that you have highlighted the difference between Skoda and Thule.

The Thule only has one peg on it to slot in the roof, so if the Skoda one has two that can explain the difference.  I am thinking the lower limit then is around the crash test etc and am guessing that small peg that fits in the hole snaps off at weights above so then the Thule ones will be going back and an order for the Skoda ones being placed because as you say 60Kg - 15.5Kg for the box and then 6kg for the bars leaves 38.5Kg left for cargo whereas with the Skoda one it is nearly double this.

Thanks again

Just done a 700 mile trip with the roof box on. Average mpg is 49. Pretty pleased with that.slight whistling around 30 - 40 mph from the bars. All in all very pleased. S3 hatch 2l TDI 150 DSG L&K. With Thule steel square bars and Halfords Exodus 360L roof box.

Hi, I have also been on a longer trip with the roof box fitted and a full load in the back, 325miles and an average on the dot Matrix of 44mpg, that's in my 190DSG. The trip was about 250 miles motorway 75mph on ACC and dual carriageway the rest A and B class roads, the roof box and the estate part of the car were both full. I have the Thule wing bar edge and Thule xl 600 roof box, and to be honest didn't notice any extra noise what so ever.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I ordered The THULE WING BAR EDGE and THULE MOTION XL box yesterday from Roofracks.co.uk the order was placed at about mid day, today at 10.45 the items were delivered and are now fitted tot my Metalic Brown 190 DSG L&K SUPERB. Try and beat that for service I would have struggled to drive there have it fitted and drive back in that time well done ROOFRACKS.CO.UK few pictures attached for those who are considering the wing bars, my advice just get them they look far better than any others.

Nice! How's the car to drive on motorways, with it fitted?

Consumption, noice, etc?

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk

Nice! How's the car to drive on motorways, with it fitted?

Consumption, noice, etc?

MrBira, I am very happy with the wing bar and Box, I have noticed no real noise issues on the motorway and the handling is fine, Yes I can tell its on there but driven normally it never bothers me. As far as fuel consumption is concerned

I get about 44MPG with the box fitted, and 46-48 with just the bars on the roof which I never remove. The best mpg I have ever had on a trip was 53 without the box and on a 40 mile motorway run.

• Like 1

I have a pair of Thule Aero bars in 127cm length - they fit both my Yeti and our Superb 3 estate.

Think I could have got shorter lengths, but they allow me to put 4ft (1200mm) sheets of ply etc on the roof and still have a bit of bar sticking out to wrap straps around securely.

Normally they stay fitted on my Yeti, with a Thule Proride 598 cycle carrier for my bike. Very little noise and no noticeable effect on fuel use.

Yesterday though I swapped the bars over to the Superb, and did a trial fit of our roofbox - a Kamei Corvara 390 which we've had for several years.

All fit just fine.

I can highly recommend the Kamei boxes - ours is hinged both sides so you can access from either side of the car which is a big help. It's had little impact on fuel ecomony in the past, and has always been 100% watertight even in pretty awful rain at motorway speeds. They seems to regularly come out well in reviews.

Edited by muddyboots

Just chipping in...

Here in Norway, we usually don't call these "roof boxes" but rather "ski boxes", since the mission is more to carry skis and some smaller bags than large amounts of luggage.

So the boxes many here in Norway choose are low profile and IMO looks much better on the roof than ordinary roof boxes which tend to be a bit bulky.

Many also shell out some $$$ to have the box painted with the same paint as the car.

Here are two examples taken from the manufacturer Skiguard: www.skiguard.no

I'm currently in the process of ordering an S3 Estate L&K, probably in that lovely brown metallic color, and will also purchase a Skiguard box which will be painted in the exact same color.

post-144978-0-15858400-1466681839_thumb.jpg

post-144978-0-95170100-1466681848_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

I know this thread is over a year old now but I'm just about to purchase the Hapro Traxer 5.6 roof box with the Thule aluminium wingbars.  I'm having difficulty understanding exactly what you can fit inside the box as there's hardly any pics/videos etc online and if i'm honest litres/volume mean absolutely nothing to me.  

Would one of you fine peeps who own a 5.6 or 6.6 be kind enough to give me a brief overview as to what you use your box for?  I just want to make sure that my bulky camping equipment (1 x Double sleeping bad, 3 x single sleeping bags, large cool box will fit inside before I order.

Many Thanks

4 hours ago, Shabbs said:

I know this thread is over a year old now but I'm just about to purchase the Hapro Traxer 5.6 roof box with the Thule aluminium wingbars.  I'm having difficulty understanding exactly what you can fit inside the box as there's hardly any pics/videos etc online and if i'm honest litres/volume mean absolutely nothing to me.  

Would one of you fine peeps who own a 5.6 or 6.6 be kind enough to give me a brief overview as to what you use your box for?  I just want to make sure that my bulky camping equipment (1 x Double sleeping bad, 3 x single sleeping bags, large cool box will fit inside before I order.

Many Thanks

Hi, I brought the Hapro Traxer 5.6 last year and it is an excellent box.  Thule bars on the other hand were sent straight back as they were useless, Thule for some reason made the attachments to the car poorly meaning that the weight limit that could be put on them was half that of the Skoda bars which is what we ended up with.  You don't say if yours is a Hatch or Estate, mine is a Hatch.  The Skoda bars are excellent and take mere seconds to fit and release from the car.

I got the Thule bag pack as it came with four bags, one slightly lower than the others and these all fitted in the box with space around for walking boots, walking sticks, pillows, coats, tripods etc.  If the bags had not been seriously well packed, I would estimate we could have got another one in at the back, but the chief clothes packer had stuffed them really full.

In terms of the sleeping bags, yeah no problem I would have sad.  The cool box you don't say the size but providing it physically fits then I cannot see any reason why it would not fit with 4 sleeping bags.

Thanks for the reply pentaxian!

Like you I have a Hatch also... How much are the Skoda bars?  I'm not too fussed about the weight limit with the Thule bars if that is still the case?  I would only be using the box for lightweight stuff and would hopefully come nowhere near the 38.5kg limit you previously mention.  The one who must be obeyed has said she doesn't want a cool box but a mini fridge! So that'll be going in the boot along with the kitchen sink :biggrin:.

Interestingly though I've just found on the Thule website that their Aluminium wingbars have a max load of 100kg so I presume a lot has changed in the year this thread has been going?

11 hours ago, Shabbs said:

Interestingly though I've just found on the Thule website that their Aluminium wingbars have a max load of 100kg so I presume a lot has changed in the year this thread has been going?

The bars I bought were rated for 100kg, it was the mounts to the roof that were weight limited (Rapid System if I remember), looking at Thule now they appear to have upped the limit on those to 75kg so have improved over the past year yes.  

I got a great deal from my dealer for the bars, I think they were £20 more than the Thule setup in the end which for the extra peace of mind with regards to weight and certainly safety last year was well worth it.  The Skoda bars were also all one unit, rather than in pieces being put together by the motorist.

• 6 years later...

Are there any recommendations/limitations regarding how big an overhang can be made for superb hatch and the roofbox?

I have hapro traxer 8.6  (215x90cm) a huge roofbox - previously fitted on a Mondeo estate.

Now I would like to fit on my Superb hatch, but It feels that this box would be too long for the hatch

Here is an example of hatch with traxer 6.6 which is 25cm shorter.

image.png.2a01513156b302ee1c5dcb8b09fb5db8.png

it is easy to do if roof crossbars are availabe, if you need to purchase them, but roofbox is standing in the corner, then no options to measure in real life. unless someone has spare roof crossbar set :)