Vcds steering weight change fluid leak

Hello all,

I just wanted to let people be aware if they intend to change the steering weight code via vcds then proceed with caution as after making mine lighter, my Fabias steering rack started leaking massively,I don't know why this would happen, but I can see a pretty hefty bill for the repair. I would guess the reason is that the increased load on the system found a weak point somewhere, and something blew up! Unless anybody else has any other ideas?

• Like 1

I wonder if the pump gives more pressure to lighten the steering and that has caused a seal to blow :think:

I just got back from the garage and they're telling me I need an entire new steering rack! i can't possibly see how that's the case!

The racks have oil seals at each end.

The pump forces fluid into the rack when you turn.

Changing the settings has made the pumpy apply more pressure to make it even lighter and burst the seal.

Somthing like that id imagine. Good for posting though, not heard of the problem happening myself but its rare people change the settings for it.

Doing a lot of searching on the Internet I found people who had attempted to alter the settings on vcds, more often than not they were making it heavier steering though. I think I'm in a relatively small minority wanting x light steering.

I just got back from the garage and they're telling me I need an entire new steering rack! i can't possibly see how that's the case!

I'd imagine the reason is that it's a specialized job to repair the rack and it's probably just as economical to fit a new one.

I personally want to make it as hard as possible...light steering is ok for driving around the city or parking the car, but I find it not that safe when driving on the motorway. It would have been nice if the steering would have been adjusting along with the vehicle speed (lighter when driving slow and less assistance or no assistance at all when driving over 40-50mph).

The first thing I've done after I bought my car was to refurbish the steering rack. It has a couple of seals that can and should be replaced in order to prevent leaks. It wasn't that expensive though, 3 years ago it was less than £80.

Edited by Alexandru

Oh, no, not at all.  I once drove the car with no PAS at all and it was a delight when getting over 50mph. When I'm comparing with the normal PAS operation, I have my second thoughts. :)

The assistance does change with speed, or so the VAG documentation says.

The PAS module has vehicle speed as one of its inputs (from Instruments modue via CAN).

Yes it changes, do you remember we saw that on the vcds logs. The pump changes to lower assistance acording to the car speed.

Although to tell the truth I don't feel any difference on my steering. Maybe that's how it is designed, to compensate exactly as the steering without PAS requires lower input at higher speeds.

I personally want to make it as hard as possible...light steering is ok for driving around the city or parking the car, but I find it not that safe when driving on the motorway. It would have been nice if the steering would have been adjusting along with the vehicle speed (lighter when driving slow and less assistance or no assistance at all when driving over 40-50mph).

The first thing I've done after I bought my car was to refurbish the steering rack. It has a couple of seals that can and should be replaced in order to prevent leaks. It wasn't that expensive though, 3 years ago it was less than £80.

Personaly mine is pretty hard, I would make it lighter if I could. I think the assistance is different from pump to pump, similar cars have different assistance even with the same coding... I think this pumps are crap and two of the are always different... I've seen many people complainin the steering is hard an many complaining the steering is light on similar cars. (cars without any other diagnosed problem)
Edited by dm222

Have you checked your front tires condition ? 

Everything checked at at least 5 garages, everything is OK. I've seen many cases of people complaining of hard steering and others complaining it's too light, how could that be? I believe the pumps are completly aleatory...

Edited by dm222

You refurbished the steering rack yourself?

Everything checked at at least 5 garages, everything is OK. I've seen many cases of people complaining of hard steering and others complaining it's too light, how could that be? I believe the pumps are completly aleatory...

I think different models/sub-models have the assistance level set at different weights in the factory. So the more 'shopping trolley' oriented versions probably roll off the production line with maximum assistance, the more sporty ones with minimum.  I haven't looked to see what my missus's is coded at, but it feels light as a butterfly to me. Never causes me to find it "not safe on the motorway" like Alex's experience though?   

Mine is really light but I remember the days of non-PAS cars and horrible heavy steering, so I'm not complaining really. Haha

The Mk2 Golf I had before my current one didn't have PAS, and I loved it. Free upper-body workout with every drive... :D

The old rear-engined Skodas with worm and nut steering were even worse until they changed to rack and pinion :D

I think the car with the heaviest steering I've ever driven was a Lada Riva. Truly diabolical.

You refurbished the steering rack yourself?

Not really, the hardest thing is getting it out IMHO. Other than that, there are a couple of o-rings and seals that should be replaced. 

I think the car with the heaviest steering I've ever driven was a Lada Riva. Truly diabolical.

Try doing it with a van, an '86 Renault Trafic to be more precise, fully loaded and try parking it in a tight spot. That PITA had less power than an mpi Fabia. It had 36 fabulous kW.

Edited by Alexandru

Try doing it with a van, an '86 Renault Trafic to be more precise, fully loaded and try parking it in a tight spot. That PITA had less power than an mpi Fabia. It had 36 fabulous kW.

Haha. My mate has 1987 VW T25 camper van and that is pretty heavy at parking speeds too.

• Like 1