Sport mode = "Acceleration is more dynamic"!?

So according to the manual, along with putting the DSG into "S", cranking up the volume on the SoundAktor and dialling back the power assisted steering, Sport Mode also makes "The vehicle acceleration more dynamic than in Normal Mode"

What an earth does this actually mean? Is it just a sharpened throttle response at the pedal or is it doing something else?

If I put the DSG into "Sport" from the shifter, but leave the drive settings in "Normal" is it still doing the same thing but without the excess fake noise and the heavier steering or does the full "Sport" driving mode add an extra bit of secret sauce?

What units of measure does one use for "Dynamism" and does Sport Mode add a quantifiable extra amount?

Are all marketing people just full of it?

Edited by Item

I tend to think of it in terms of throttle pedal travel.  Sport needs 50% pedal travel for 100% throttle. Drive and Eco needs progressively more.

In addition I think the DSG tries to respond to your driving style. If you gingerly pull out of a junction in drive it'll release the clutch slowly but if accelerate harder it drops the clutch faster.

I'll often leave the car in Eco (custom settings) for most driving then knock it into sport for roundabouts and junctions. Eco will accelerate just as hard as sport if you stamp on the pedal however.

Are all marketing people just full of it?

Yes. No secret sauce there only quicker throttle response. One could say more dynamic  :D

• Like 1

I tend to think of it in terms of throttle pedal travel.  Sport needs 50% pedal travel for 100% throttle. Drive and Eco needs progressively more.

What happens with 100% pedal travel?

What happens with 100% pedal travel?

Nothing more than 50% although, you can get EPC when using Sport Mode in conjunction with a Pedal box set at Sport+ 3. Which means 100% throttle is about 5/8 of an inch of pedal movement but, loadsa FUN

With the DSG in Sport mode, the gears wIll be shifted later, the engine going up at higher revs.

The acceleration will be improved and the performances slightly better.

In addition I think the DSG tries to respond to your driving style. If you gingerly pull out of a junction in drive it'll release the clutch slowly but if accelerate harder it drops the clutch faster.

I'll often leave the car in Eco (custom settings) for most driving then knock it into sport for roundabouts and junctions. Eco will accelerate just as hard as sport if you stamp on the pedal however.

Fit a DTUK Pedal Box, programmable to eliminate the throttle lag built into all VAG motors, makes a real difference

• Like 2