Are you using the Motability scheme?

ColinD

• Administrators

SKODA UK and specifically their marketing agency Fallon are looking for people who have purchased leased your SKODA through the motability scheme.

Here's what they are looking for:

We’re looking for ŠKODA car owners (who purchased leased their car through the motability team scheme) to take part in an exciting project which will involve interviewing and filming their experiences and inspirational stories. To assess suitability, if you think this might be of interest, we’d appreciate it if you could answer the following questions.

- What model ŠKODA do you have?
- What do you like about your ŠKODA?
- What do you use your ŠKODA for / how does it help you in your everyday life (i.e. work/recreation/chores)?
- Are there any interesting or funny anecdotes you can tell us from experiences and journeys in your car?
- Tell us something interesting about you
- What’s your proudest achievement - something that you are particularly proud of (i.e. something inspirational or motivational)

---

They need to know "yesterday", although by the 23rd of May was also intimated, so if you're reading this and can & want to help them and it's before then, you know what to do :)

If you can help them then please email jon.sloneem [at] fallon.co.uk mention the site and let us know how you get on.
  • Like 1

As Skoda UK know, or should, or specifically their 'Marketing Agency Fallon',

as Skoda UK have lots of vehicles on the Motability List for leasing, None for purchasing,

People do not 'Purchase a vehicle' any longer through the 'Motability Scheme',  which is a Charity, as Motability no longer provide Finance through Motability Finance for HP on New or Used cars.

(A marketing agency surely understands what a purchase means.

In the case of Motability you choose the vehicle you want to lease and Motability Purchase it for you, you pay them,

or actually DWP pay them directly from your State Benefits.)

Those in receipt of HR Rate DLA Mobility Component or now PIP can Lease a Vehicle which is 'Purchased' by 'Motability' from Manufacturers like Skoda, if they have the benefit for as long as the Term of the lease. 

Motability own the vehicles and they are returned at the end of lease and Motability sell them.

There is usually the option for the person that was leasing to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease.

http://motability.co.uk

http://skoda.co.uk/motability

Maybe Skoda UK could come up with a Purchase or Lease Scheme for those that are Disabled, will continue to be Disabled, but are now deemed by the UK Government to not Be Disabled so have lost their Benefits and had cars Repossessed and are left with only a few weeks notice without their Transport they were paying £2,800 or more a year for.

Other Manufacturers have recognised that Registered Disabled People that were not receiving Benefits or did not Qualify for the 'Motability Scheme' could also benefit from being able to purchase or lease at good value suitable vehicles, 

often offering a Discount as good or better than some other discounts the Manufacturers were offering.

Maybe no extra cost for an Autobox where the driver can only drive an Auto, or maybe needs Hand Controls fitted.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

• Administrators

I agree with the latter half.  :thumbup:

I perhaps used the word purchased, relaying their message, when I guess one should say acquired or borrowed or leased :) People like to make up new words, or enforce new thinking, dealers became retailers... so is leased a dirty word and thus a move to try and dumb it all down to 'purchase' probably?

I think 9/10 people would when suggested by a leading question, did you purchase your car through motability they would say yes. Hiding the actualities of said lease behind paperwork and details.

I'll amend the title ;)

• Administrators

Other Manufacturers have recognised that Registered Disabled People that were not receiving Benefits or did not Qualify for the 'Motability Scheme' could also benefit from being able to purchase or lease at good value suitable vehicles, 

often offering a Discount as good or better than some other discounts the Manufacturers were offering.

I've noticed in a quick bit of research for this a big push by Ford, Nissan and MG on motability. What are the manufacturers you eluded to?

Totally agree with the second half.

I lease a car through them and am facing the stress of a PIP assessment at sometime in the near future.

To my mind, assessments of this tick box kind are statistics driven.

Private company, government targets, bonuses for the bosses if the number of claimants are reduced to save said government a bit of cash.

Not going to stand on my soapbox, just put one foot on it.

Charity begins at home, stop sending billions abroad and look after those that need I in this country.

Edited by CFB

If we go back to 1977 it was a very limited amount of vehicles available affordable with Automatic Gearboxes.

There were Mini's and then Metros and not many others.

Many Disabled People were excluded back then from 'Mobility' and yet you could get a Discount from Rover , BL or what ever thgey were called.

There were Manufacturers later that gave a discount to Disabled people buying cars, 

cars not on the Closed Shop Motability Scheme in that Era.

Subaru would let you go to a Dealership and negotiate your 'Purchase; Trade in Etc,

Then Subaru UK gave you back actual Cash Money.

Fiat were in the Motability List, but Fiat offered Disabled People & Families Discounts and Special Deals on proof 

of being Registered Disabled.

There was a period in time that Ford & Vauxhall made a stand and threatened to pull out of the Motability Scheme.

the 12,000 mile a year restriction on Mileage was not great for Working Disabled and families with Disabled Dependants.

Changes to Motability meant the Annual Mileage change to 20,000 per annum.

Changes since have been good, and cut down lots of abuse of Motability the Charity,

sadly not all. 

2008 & the 5 Major Banks holding the many Millions Motability hold and the money received by Seniors in The Charity is still a scandal.

Lots do well out of Motability other than just the Disabled.  The Used Motor Trade especially that get well serviced and maintained vehicles back at 3 years or sooner.

Inspected and MOt'd and in very good condition mostly.

This should be good for the Charity, bring best prices etc, help the Fund etc etc.

Certainly helped Motability Finance as was until recently.  

At least Ex Motability cars now go to Auction and the option for Dealerships to Buy at end of lease as in the old days stopped the nonesense of New Tyres etc fitted before 3 years old because the Dealership put in for these.

Free Mats etc on the cars Dealers agreed on Buy Back with etc.

Pretty Rubbish Customer Services for some Motability Customers getting New Cars that the Dealership were not getting in in 3 years.

The Invoiced price Dealerships submit for the supply of New Cars being Purchased by Motability is still an odd one.

It does not affect the person ordering the car, maybe just the Charity, the Fund Raisers the HMRC so also the Countries & General Public's purse.

http://motability.co.uk/about-motability/the-history-of-the-motability-scheme

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motability

(much factually wrong, like the name of the Benefit back in the 1970's etc, but thats Wiki for you.)

This in the procure was Maggie at the Motorshow, 

my memory is the Picture of her handing over Keys to a Metro on the Mobility Scheme while many severely disabled people could not get cars, even back then the Charitable Status was Abused.

Professional Disabled Sports people even back then had Mobility Cars, world travellers who seemed to get around fine when not in the UK.)

Many War Injured straggled for affordable Transport yet the 'Doctors Assessment Scheme; had many 

on Invalidity getting cars from the Charity.

post-86161-0-16654500-1463563802_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35476904

People should be Assessed or Re-assessed for Benefits.

The issue is the 'Life Long Disabled; and more recently Disabled that the system no longer accepts as disabled, wheelchair bound, amputees, infirm and many types of disability putting restriction on people mobility nationwide,

yet the assessment now decides they can move themselves 20 meters without extreme pain, risk to life etc.

Transport can be their life-line and public transport even where available often does not help much.

20 meters getting someplace is not much use unless you want to be 20 meters from where you were firstly.

Motability as an Organisation / Charity and receiver of public funds needs looked at again maybe,

Is there Best Value being achieved?

Senior Management / Directors and the Board doing the best possible, and who gains most, is it the Motor Trade. 

Is it money well spent and meeting the actual reason the the Charity was founded.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mike-betts-boss-taxpayer-backed-motability-3019985

Are the UK Government cutting benefits while still splashing cash to a Organisation that is wasteful.

After all people can now Lease or Finance Vehicles cheaper than they can with Motability these days.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

George, re your last comment, as a hypothetical exercise...

On the scheme, at current prices, a Yeti 150SEL 4x4 total allowance, 36 x £248.95 + £1695 advance payment. Total paid over 3 years £10657.20

Don't forget that includes 3 years insurance and all maintenance.

I challenge you to find a better deal...

Edited by CFB

That is how the system averages out, some can have a nice premium family vehicle at a rather good deal, sports models etc because the Manufacturers give Motability a good deal supposedly based on Residuals at end of lease.

The argument being it is the Disabled Persons money and driving about in Basic Cars should not be expected of them, 

the Blue Invalid Carriage days of old a distant memory.

Good residuals even when it is Vauxhall punting Insignia or Astra Coupes that nobody is buying in the Showrooms.

(so better than Basic cars is Disabled People getting no car and loss of independence.)

The small city cars that many need as cheap transport do not need Total Allowance now, 

but even at less than Total Allowance and Nil Deposit you can match that with the likes of a Kia Picanto 

with £250 deposit and £129 a Month, buy insurance.

Some just add petrol vehicles from a French Manufacturer was offering some that do low mileages a better deal than Motability was,  Ford Free Insurance on New cars was a good deal for some Younger Disabled.

(the issue was that of getting Finance, but then the Banks were told years ago that DLA HR was the same as an income even if someone was unemployed and to treat it as real income because it was.)

Going to cheap leases at Dealerships is what many are doing that are losing the Motability car and getting £2,000 from Motability, or the UK Government actually.

Use the £2,000 and get a New Car cheap, have enough to pay a year and a bit and hope you get your PIP & ESA @ appeal.

There is a cap on the upper value of those able to lease, but that gets you a prestige car still, 

maybe where the Applicant should be means tested a bit better.

Putting down £3 or £4,000 deposit to get a family car & using the disabled persons benefit and that disabled person might use some other appropriate car as daily transport.

Same with the Grants. The means test and yet that is easily abused.

If you deal much with Motability in Dealership the abuse of the system is ridiculous.

Vehicles in families where the Disabled person never gets in that car or WAV, never sees it from Hand Over to Hand Back.

PS.

Your award payment is 4 weekly not monthly, 

so that will be 13 payments per year.

As to maintenance now with Variable Servicing that is really no big deal, 

and as for Servicing of Motability Vehicles, well that sometimes needs seen to be believed, 

Motability is the Biggest Group / Fleet Buyer and owner of vehicles, 

Serving can be done in an economy of scale, and making saving on that to waste on other stuff & to provide luxury vehicles beyond the needs of Safe Family or Individuals transport needs reviewed again IMO.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

• 2 weeks later...

....the Blue Invalid Carriage days of old a distant memory.

My Mum and Dad nearly bought me one of these when I was 16 going on 17.  I even went out on a test drive.  Curious little contraptions.

Gaz

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TDI SRC vehicles & Ad-blue.

Maybe other already know this but it was pleasant news to me.  

Motability pay for Ad-blue if filling up is required, not only at servicing time, it is part of the maintenance costs they pay for so if you need filled up, 

you get this done at a dealership when it is needed.

• Like 2

TDI SRC vehicles & Ad-blue.

Maybe other already know this but it was pleasant news to me.  

Motability pay for Ad-blue if filling up is required, not only at servicing time, it is part of the maintenance costs they pay for so if you need filled up, 

you get this done at a dealership when it is needed.

Where did you find that info George?

It would be useful to know come refill time.

From Motability Customer Services when i called to tell them that the Car Search for the SEAT Alhambra had no 'SCR' mentioned, 

nor does the Seat Brochures or Websites and the Salespeople do not mention it until the hand over, 

then Seat UK Customer Services will not answer in Writing why the Engines are not showing as 2.0 TDI 150 or 184ps SCR.

Not a single mention in the Brochure just those low Co2 / g/km & good economy figures.

So she is all, not to worry you do not need to pay for Ad-Blue it is covered in the Maintenance Costs, 

& i said but it will be needing filled up several times before servicing and she says just have the Dealership do it when the light comes on.

In at Seat Dealership tomorrow so i will see what they say.

I may need Motability to put it in writing. .....

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Thanks, I did a decent search on their website but couldn't find anything.

I'll be interested to see how you get on tomorrow.

Wunderba no charge. As I was told by the sales executive and service desk you have nothing to pay for other than fuel. Result, and that is at a joint Seat and skoda dealership.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

2nd time in for Ad-Blue topped up and 'No charge' part of the Servicing & Maintenance with Motability.

Just a call to the dealership in advance required so that they know you will be in at some point during the day.

Had mine topped up, with no charge, a couple of months ago.

The tank takes about 5 litres, my dealer gets it in 10 litre containers, so gave me the remainder to take in when it needs topping up again.

• 8 months later...

We are about to Swap our 1st Motability vehicle (my wife uses a wheelchair) - a Superb mk2 Estate.

It has been the best vehicle we have owned yet (not counting the fact it's fully maintained etc).  The biggest hassle we've had is with Kiwk Fit for the tyres.

We've just ordered a Mk3 Superb Estate (order gone in today by the dealer - build week TBC).  I wanted Velvet Red - but Skoda told me that we have to pay the £900 fee for that paint which is what Motability have agreed with them.  Not sure I'd pay that much for a paint finish if I were buying the car let alone, a 3 year lease...but it was Scrummy in the metal.  In the end we went for Black Magic Pearl :).

The only downside is the deposit costs are getting quite high.  We paid £2745 (plus £750 for a tow bar) in 2015, however the cost for the equivalent spec (SEL Exec 2.0TDI DSG) is £3145 (plus £775 for tow bar) this year.  Even the sales lady at the dealer said, she isn't sure how they calculate the up-front deposits, as they don't make sense.... a Karoq is £3750 in Edition Spec, as is a Kodiaq, I know which I'd choose (it isn't the Karoq!).  I believe that motability customers get a slight discount on Auto Gearboxes vs Manual, but its only something like a few hundred quid (whereas they are approx £1200 for the DSG if purchasing).

We justify the deposit, by saying it covers the insurance for both of us, and maintenance for 3 years, so the deposit effectively is us paying up front for those items.

I have to say, after looking round, Skoda seem to be the only dealers we have dealt with, that "care" for their Motability customers.  We went to Seat (the Alhambra was very tempting, but is getting a bit long in the tooth - and Seat aren't planning on replacing it at all), and their Sales team were average with a few broken promises, doesn't say much for their Customer Service.  And Citroen, were atrocious - and didn't seem to care about anything other than you signing on the dotted line.