Towbar re-coding?

Llanigraham

I suspect the reason the first fitter didn't want to come is because he is based in Derby!

I do wonder how many sub-contractor fitters they have; obviously not enough!

Do you trust him to do it properly the second time round?.

If so, to 'break the ice', offer to travel to Derby?. (I never need an excuse to go for a drive)

Ryeman, I think you're misunderstanding the situation slightly!

The guy in Derby didn't do the work.

Ah!

Got a bit lost there.......what a mess.

Email now sent to PFJ requesting refund of the re-coding fee, as the fitter has not been in touch after 8 days.

We are away the weekend after next so now I have to find someone who can re-code the car correctly, which will probably mean a trip down to the dealers, for which I have asked for the fuel bill to be paid.

..and the difference in coding charge if dealer is higher.

Nervous about my install next week as I went with PFJ based on their service m, expertise and coverage.

Surely you can get the garage a la Swansea to code it then bill pfj for any extra costs and reasonable out of pocket expenses under consumer regulations so long as you tell pfj of your actions beforehand!

After their responses so far I wouldn't hold your breath!

As Frenchtone says tell them what you are going to do beforehand (particulary given the urgency now) as they have had more than enough time to sort it out now and can't say they weren't given the opportunity. 

And say that if the refund and expenses aren't forthcoming then you will be taking advice - Citizens Advice etc. - and going to the Small Claims Court if necessary.

Seems to me they are getting to be just as bad as the fitter and as being Mr. Nice Guy hasn't worked only the threat of legal action is going to elicit a response.

Edited by VAGCF

Graham - Well that's something at least.

Why they thought that they could trust the moron to get back in touch with you to sort things out and that is all they had to do is beyond me. But I guess he gave them a large dose of BS as well. Before he can do more damage they need to get rid of him.

Re. your suggestion, you shouldn't have to should you when going to a "reputable" firm and not everybody is as knowledgeable.

I was lucky enough to have a tow bar fitting workshop near me as I didn't want it doing on the drive and apart from the incident with the throttle (which was unfortunate and they were very apologetic) I was happy with the installation and the guys I dealt with.

Edited by VAGCF

just a little bit of a p***er the derby guy was double booked, don't think you would have had such a bad experience with him(speaking from my experience) had he fitted etc!!

Let's hope that it's only the recoding that's wrong and not that it's been wired up incorrectly leading to the recoding not able to give the right effect. If that is the case and they recompense for the recoding to be done elsewhere you could have a three way battle on instead of two.

And I've just had to remind PFJ that I paid VAT so they will have to refund that as well!

Urrell

I know he has used the correct wiring looms as I still have the fitting instructions, and from what I can see he has abided by those instructions, so I am hopeful over that.

Edited by Llanigraham

What gets me is that he knowingly left the job incomplete and thought he would get away with it!

All modern cars I guess will require coding so must be fully aware that it would be required. A right chancer.

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

What a miserable experience for a fellow Yeti and Bailey caravan owner.

Given the help that Graham has given so many members of this forum over the years, it is a great shame that somebody who has the coding equipment can't meet up with Graham and do the proper coding that he needs - and deserves?

Personally, I am not convinced that the dealers know what they are doing when it comes to coding.  They cocked-up mine when I had the towbar fitted when I acquired my Yeti - albeit it was only the buzzer that still sounds when I reverse with the caravan!

So, come on guys - is there  any forum member who can help Graham and provide a happy coding event to end this sad episode?

Ridgeway Škoda in Newbury nailed it on the first go, having said they'd never done it before (or even heard of it being a thing). This was a genuine VAG towing module that I had fitted myself.

Yes - I have no doubt that some dealers know what they are doing, but Graham does not have much choice in 'local dealers' where he lives.  He rightly went to  a company that are known country-wide, but that didn't work properly either.  I can see that they gave him the refund/petrol costs, but they would have done themselves more good by arranging for Graham to receive the expertise of one of their top fitters - and provide him with the top-drawer service that they usually provide.

Failing that, there must be a forum member who owns a VCDS and could rendezvous with Graham?    

What a mess ! All down to a lack of training by these firms that used to just cut into the wiring loom and hay presto job done . How on earth do you keep your knowledge about wiring up to date these days? I am not defending the fitter as he should be asked about his understanding of this by the firm that use him. Are these people self employed and are they a sub contractor to the firm that you contact for the job?

It aint like that anymore now is it !! fitting the steel work with nuts and bolts has not changed  a great deal

Its the Electronics in the car that is the problem with people who have not had the proper training because car firms do not want to give any information to third party firms because they want all the business !! and they have done this by stuffing tons of electronic options in the vehicle which is controled by a 'brain' which has more computing power than the Apollo moon mission !! which had vertually non!!.

If some dealers have problems ? well we are all doomed ! EVERY dealer should be up to speed if they supply and service your car, if they are not it needs to be sorted.

I hope you get it all sorted very soon and some money back without any hassle and enjoy your holiday away in the 'van'

If all cars where like the LOMAX would'nt life be fun and simple !!