Towbar re-coding?

Llanigraham

Glad you got it sorted, shame it took a dealer to rectify the installer's incompetence (at coding anyway, as I presume the mechanical install part was satisfactory).

Graham, at least you can plan to get away confident in the cars electrics with the caravan connected.

Will collect the van out of storage later, give it a clean, and then off for the weekend for a family get-together.

Glad you got it sorted, shame it took a dealer to rectify the installer's incompetence (at coding anyway, as I presume the mechanical install part was satisfactory).

Thankfully there isn't much to ****-up with the mechanical side; unbolt behind bumper crash bar, bolt on new towbar carrier, bolt on swan-neck. 

But I did check how secure all the nuts I can get at were, and i did see him use a torque wrench.

Glad you checked the nuts and bolts. Some years ago I had a bar and electrics fitted to a Renault Laguna by a local company advertising themselves as trailer and towbar fitting experts but when I got home and checked, two of the main bolts were not even finger tight. This was a couple of days before a summer caravan nine holiday! Not good. I am afraid I did rather lose my rag with the boss when I returned.

• Like 1

Who's a smart boy then???  Guess the car will not stay like that for long when you get back to your Rally Radio work but you can always look at the photo of what it looks like under the mud. :notme:

• Like 1

Lovely rig, Graham!  As ernieb hinted, though, Welsh forests and a white motor doesn't seem an appropriate match.  (You're not thinking of retiring the radio, surely ?!)

No, still doing radio. Mind you lately I've also done stage start and finish timekeeper as well. As somebody said, if it says "Senior Official" on your Licence you should be able to do everything!

Think I might have to invest in a pressure washer though!

• Like 2

Problem now solved.

Sinclair Skoda connected their system up to the car, did a scan and found the message they were expecting: "Incorrect coding".

Correct programme in-put, checked and all is now well.

And their apologies that they had to charge me to correct someones else's errors!

Graham - what a tale of woe.  Sorry to read about it.....

BUT - as you'd expect me to say - I'm NOT surprised that it has been sorted at Sinclair Skoda.  They just do the job, and do it well.  I had my 170 L&K fitted with (albeit the basic) towbar and it has all worked perfectly.  Personally I cannot see past using them and consider it money well spent for the peace of mind and freedom from hassle when they carry out the work. 

[Oh - and a P.S. I really AM surprised at you - your Yeti and your 'van are not colour-co-ordinated (BIG grin)]

Edited by Freshacre
  • Like 1

Graham - what a tale of woe.  Sorry to read about it.....

BUT - as you'd expect me to say - I'm NOT surprised that it has been sorted at Sinclair Skoda.  They just do the job, and do it well.  I had my 170 L&K fitted with (albeit the basic) towbar and it has all worked perfectly.  Personally I cannot see past using them and consider it money well spent for the peace of mind and freedom from hassle when they carry out the work. 

[Oh - and a P.S. I really AM surprised at you - your Yeti and your 'van are not colour-co-ordinated (BIG grin)]

Sorry sir, apologies sir.

I shall get the caravan resprayed in ultra-white white immediately!  :D

• Like 2

I'm sure Graham won't mind me reviving this thread - had my Superb done today and it's really good job completed. Coding was completed with just a small issue regarding the ACC - fitter had to adjust some other settings to clear the fault but it was all done ok.

The programmer used is a Westfalia one and costs approx £3k to purchase. Shouldn't have been any issues with using this correctly.

Activating-vehicle-electrics-using-the-A

• Like 2

The "fitter" that did(n't) do mine didn't have that unit, but a black one.

Perhaps an older model that he hasn't kept up-to-date?

Goes to prove he wasn't very good anyway!

• Like 1

Hi Guys

I've just been through the whole towbar fitting experience. Thanks to the Saga of Graham I knew exactly what to do - got my £70 refund and booked in with Sinclair Swansea to have the coding carried out on the 29th.

• Like 3

So you still had PFJ do the install? !! :sweat:

I don't suppose you had much choice?

The issue isn't necessarily PFJ as all they do is subcontract the fitting. It's knowing what fitter they are using and how good/bad they are.

PFJ actually performed well - the parts were delivered to me on time and correctly.

If you know a good quality and reputable fitter I would source the parts direct.

If the fitting is arranged through them then the issue is firmly with them!

And that's what most folks would do and would be unaware that the work is being sub-contracted out.

The majority of us have few tow bars fitted during our lifetime and often many years apart therefore it is unlikely we will know of any good and reputable fitters and to be honest personally I'm not keen on my new car being worked on in the drive!

As for doing well at supplying the parts, I should hope they do. All they are doing is buying them in and dispatching, not exactly rocket science!

Edited by VAGCF

Hi Guys

I've just been through the whole towbar fitting experience. Thanks to the Saga of Graham I knew exactly what to do - got my £70 refund and booked in with Sinclair Swansea to have the coding carried out on the 29th.

Interesting!!

Was the fitter from near Crickhowell and had a Merc with stickers on the side with the letters TBW on them?

Glad you got the refund as well. 

Interesting!!

Was the fitter from near Crickhowell and had a Merc with stickers on the side with the letters TBW on them?

Glad you got the refund as well. 

My fitter was from Shrewsbury with a red VW Caddy van. Maybe PFJ need to look into the qualifications of the fitters they call on?

The £70 refund included VAT, but I wasn't offered expenses. Still, I live nearer to Swansea than you!

• 1 month later...

Hi every one, recently had a towbar fitted to my Yeti most successfully, very good Job done. I'm not crowing! Just want to thank everyone on this forum who has posted information about the issues to be aware of and who to go to and not to go to. I found my fitter by recommendations on this website (he's based in Derby as I am). I'll put my thanks using TedG as a reference on his facebook page.

Thanks everybody