Family Holiday to Belgium advice needed

Liams0205

Hi

I'm planning on taking the wife and kids for a short break (4-5 nights) and Belgium took my fancy, I've never been and it's hardly a long journey in the car

I've done a little bit of searching and found a Sunpark in De Haan which seems to tick the boxes and it close to Bruges and Ghent which look nice

Before I book I was wondering if anyone could recommend anywhere else they've stayed which was good value and clean. I'm open to suggestions as long it's fairly close to some of the cities

Thanks in advance

Me and a couple of mates stayed in Antwerp a few months back for a couple of nights, short drive there, nice city to wonder round. We do a few of these random trips, we've had decent results by using cheap chain hotels where possible, Antwerp we stayed in the Park Inn, right in the city but cheap and clean. 

• Like 1

Me and a couple of mates stayed in Antwerp a few months back for a couple of nights, short drive there, nice city to wonder round. We do a few of these random trips, we've had decent results by using cheap chain hotels where possible, Antwerp we stayed in the Park Inn, right in the city but cheap and clean.

Antwerp is a lovely city. Bruges is a real gem. We generally use Mercure hotels or one of the chains in the group...they run from dirt cheap to ye gods...just decide what you need.

Food and beer in Belgium is amongst the best in Europe. Eat local.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone

Been having a look online and doing a bit of research and think staying in De Haan is best for us and can drive or get public transport to the following fairly easily, Bruges, Ghent, Brussels and Antwerp

For those that have driven to these cities , what's the parking like ? Expensive ?

Tbh I'm more inclined to catch a train so I can have a few beers but just in case I decide to drive.

Edited by Liams0205

Ghent is as nice as Brugge and a lot cheaper.

If you do go to Brugge don't eat in the main square.

...or too close to the gothic interior and canals/sewage system in the height of summer either. Some of the bars have a nice, quiet back room but in summer turn in to smell-poo lounges. That may have been one isolated incident now I recall....

Hi

I'm planning on taking the wife and kids for a short break (4-5 nights) and Belgium took my fancy, I've never been and it's hardly a long journey in the car

I've done a little bit of searching and found a Sunpark in De Haan which seems to tick the boxes and it close to Bruges and Ghent which look nice

Before I book I was wondering if anyone could recommend anywhere else they've stayed which was good value and clean. I'm open to suggestions as long it's fairly close to some of the cities

Thanks in advance

The novatel and ibis (depending on your budget) in brugges (near the train station) are pretty good.

Easy to walk into town, easy to get to the station, just budget 15 euro per 24 hours for parking (IIRC) and remember that food costs a lot in belgium if you eat out. (Compared to the typical UK meal out)

• Like 1

We regularly do Bruges Xmas market, and park at main railway station, work out to around 3 euros all day , although it is approx 20 min walk to town, or you can get a free bus ( well its free for Xmas markets ).
If you like Belgian Beer we found a Bar just off the main sq in Bruges that has a catalogue of over 500 beers  that you can try  - All on the same day is up to you.

Depending on when you are going,  As of this post  there is a tanker drivers strike in France and garages are limiting fuel so fill up in the UK.

Enjoy you Holiday 

Essential pre-trip viewing (not for all the family though! more swearing than almost any other movie ever made). 

Seek out the 'In F'ing Bruges' video a bit too NSFW to post I'd think lol 

Don't eat in the main square Graham???

I've heard this a few times myself. I went to Bruges last year and had a really lovely time, and did eat a couple of times in the main square. One place was really lovely, the waiters all spoke about 5 different languages (wish I was exaggerating) and the food was great. The other place was god awful. Rude waiters, awful food and very expensive for what you got, although it doesn't seem expensive at first, but everything was hidden extras. If you wanted another fork for whatever reason in this place, it was €3. I managed to find it on trip advisor afterwards and i don't think it was even given 1*.

I think because it's the main square with a constant stream of tourists, the restaurants (I'm sure it can't be all of them) can get away with poor service, expensive prices and rubbish food. I presume that's why it's got that reputation.