Unoccupied houses

Aspman

I'll be moving out my house in a couple of months leaving it empty while it sells.

On the insurance right now there is the usual clause of "must not be unoccupied for more than 30 days continuously". What does that actually mean?

If I come back once a week to dust and cut the grass does that equal occupation?

Just trying to judge if I need to transfer my existing insurance to my new house and get specific unoccupied property insurance or just leave the current policy and start fresh with the new house?

Unless it goes on to explain explicitly what "unoccupied" means then if you are still visiting the property regularly even if not staying overnight they can't say it is unoccupied.

Don't apply for a council tax discount for it being unoccupied as this is basically you admitting it isn't unoccupied.

If you're unsure then check with the insurer as it's down to their individual policy.

I know that some cases have been taken to the financial ombudsman regarding disputes over payouts when the insurer has said it was unoccupied. It usually sways in the customer's favour due to ambiguous policy wording.

• Like 1

Don't risk your house for the sake of asking your insurer what their definition of 'unoccupied' is.

If their response is that you must actually reside at the property, it's better knowing this before the event than finding out you are uninsured after the event :)

Edited by 999pooch
  • Like 1

Yes sadly it's down to each local authority to decide. It used to be offered in my area but now only to properties that are empty due to being inhabitable from building works etc.

You can also apply for an exemption when away in hospital or care for a long period/permanently.

Edited by Phil-E

And why should people with empty houses not have to pay council tax on them? If you have an empty house and don't like it then sell it, simple as. We have an unoccupied house 2 doors up from us it has been empty for over 14 years now and it is getting worse all the time, the only thing that gets done to it is our neighbor parks his old car their and cuts the grass. It's an eye-saw and makes the street look bad to be honest. It must be rotting on the inside due to not having had any heating on for years and no maintenance, it's a disgrace.

When i looked into leaving a property unoccupied i found for home insurance to still be valid,its just a perodical visit is required.

Which means ,well depends on your policy wording but unless there are special requirements for unoccupied homes in your policy,its just a visit every month,to carry out security and maintenance checks. check doors/windows locked,no visable water damage/water is turned off at mains stop **** etc.Keep a list of what you do dated.

In the event of an insurance claim you would need to prove you visited the property on a regular basis,so when you visit buy a carton of milk and a snack from a shop as close to the unoccupied house,keep the receipt and pay with your debit card,this is then your record of visiting.

Just to add,when I sold my last property it was unoccupied and cleared of furniture for a long time and during conveyancing the buyers solicitor at the very last minute kindly added a rider to the sale,rider (condition) was to withhold £10k as that I have not lived at the property for a very long time and not complied with my dutys as a house holder.

So I told the buyers solicitor if you need me to prove I have complied with the dutys of a house holder,then I will increase my sales price by £15k. I had receipts as above so I would be able to prove my case.

The sale went ahead at the price I wanted.

Good luck.

• Like 1