VRS 220 MPG

Had my 220 for nearly a week and managed to raise the MPG from 18 to 23 :-/ Not driven hard as commuting in traffic around town. I'm hoping it'll rise a little when unleashed on some open roads and with super unleaded in the tank.

So the first two posters get considerably more out of their 220bhp petrol than I do out of my 184bhp diesel.

Two conclusions: either both of them are Skoda fanboy plants or my vehicle has a major defect.

I have no reason to doubt the views of the aforesaid posters so who do I complain to about 43mpg in a vehicle that allegedly does 61mpg on the same cycle?

More importantly, will anyone listen?

So the first two posters get considerably more out of their 220bhp petrol than I do out of my 184bhp diesel.

Two conclusions: either both of them are Skoda fanboy plants or my vehicle has a major defect.

I have no reason to doubt the views of the aforesaid posters so who do I complain to about 43mpg in a vehicle that allegedly does 61mpg on the same cycle?

I'm getting 40mpg on my tdi... but it's only done 260 total miles... hoping it will get better once it's done 1000+

That is disgusting, how are you driving it though ?

In reality driven like a petrol vRS could/should you are definitely talking low 30s...but then it would leave most things on the road for dead so horses for courses and if you really want more economy route its worth smaller engine like Gerrycan.....

Its noteworthy that my old fabia 1 gets ridiculously good mpg whilst the octy is considerably more sporty for the same driving pattern / speeds.

Course the Octy would leave for dead if right foot firmly planted, but at the point that you're driving enthusiastically on the fabia looking like 40mpg. The octy more like 30mpg, big difference. I'm not surprised there is less margin with the far heavier Octavia diesel, if you want better economy and stick with diesel get a smaller Fabia/Rapid diesel or better yet smaller petrol ?

Driven very sensibly though there is definitely a potential for doing 40+ in the octy petrol 220/230.

Just the trouble is, so many people driving so quickly nowadays just feels too slow to be in such a car and cruising, its so tempting to remind em their car isn't quite as clever as they point out ahem lol. Or maybe so many testing so they can say "yeah mate, just thrashed an octavia vrs" ( in their dreams)

That is one explanation why I haven't rid of the Fabia 1, you can drive briskly and get really good economy. Just running into the ground to save wear n tear on my nice petrol ;)

Edited by vRSAnt

Just did 154.8 miles with an average fuel consumption of 38.8 mpg and that's Minehead, Somerset to just outside Shere, Surrey (via Williton, Crowcombe Heathfield & Bishop's Lydeard stations, Taunton, A303, A331, A31, A3100, A281, B2128, A248, A25)

And the 141 miles from Bishop's Lydeard to home was completed non stop (apart from traffic lights etc) in 2hr 29m.

I get late-30's at normal motorway speeds and mid-20's around town. 20 years ago I was obtaining similar figures from a 1.4L petrol engine outputting just ~80bhp, and not much better from a 1.9 diesel. For the performance it offers, the VRS TSI is pretty frugal.

I should clarify that that figure was a one off fairly steady journey. My overall average is around 39.5MPG.