Any one know, is there a new tensioner coming on the market?

Got the car back today, it's one of those annoying jobs that you pay for and don't notice a whole lot of difference, but I'm Noticeably more relaxed at the turn of the key :D

To be fair, quieter start up, definitely less noise when holding it in second or in S mode and probably placebo; but does feel smoother.

Edited by BigW

BigW can I ask what year your car is what year manufacture of the engine is (white sticker on left side of the block) and if it is a 2012 model, what the old tensioner part number is - don't worry if it's a pre 2012 engine... Pretty sure all of those pre 2012 had the dodgy older style tensioner.

Just wanting to see which models in 2012 had the new tensioner as I have a 6/12 build.

Thank you

I did a precautionary job on mine the day I bought it.

What's the scope of parts are you are going with fitting? Your earlier list was long and comprehensive but expensive and missing the lower timing chain cover I think which is often damaged on removal. Mine was replaced.  My guys said the other chains and tensioner for the oil pump and and counter balance shafts would be overkill, (add to labour and part costs without much benefit) as they are not the items failing and not under the same loading as the timing chain.  Unless mileage was very high or there was some other problem evident on disassembly.

Hope it all goes well.

As I asked BigW in the post above,what year of manufacture is your VRS and when was the engine built ?

BigW can I ask what year your car is what year manufacture of the engine is (white sticker on left side of the block) and if it is a 2012 model, what the old tensioner part number is - don't worry if it's a pre 2012 engine... Pretty sure all of those pre 2012 had the dodgy older style tensioner.

Just wanting to see which models in 2012 had the new tensioner as I have a 6/12 build.

Thank you

Mine is an earlier CCZA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well today I have had a full BGA timing chain kit fitted. The number on the box containing the full kit is TC0150FK. The kit included both tensioners, guides, 2 chains and the main gear where the 2 chains and the lower thicker chain run around. Apart from some whistle type noise over 2k revs, which I am informed by the garage mechanic who also checked with BGA, is due to the extra tension with the new parts. It should die down over time.

Strange that the part number on the old faulty tensioner does not exactly match any part numbers I have read on various posts. It shows 06K 109 467 IT MR7. No letter as part of the 467? Anyway, maybe I now have some extra piece of mind, having reduced the risk of major premature engine failure. 

Edited by roaddetective