Help.. DTUK Tunning Box...

Help and advice please..  I have been considering getting a dtuk box for my Octavia 2.0 tdi vrs 184 bhp 64 plate , for a while now but cannot make my mind up because the car is in warranty and I extended for 5 years .. so a few questions I would like help with please..

1, Is it worth the cost.

2, Warranty is there any trace after you unplug for services.

3, What about insurance cost , is it a lot more , or do you tell them.

4, wear and tear on the engine components.

Thank you for any help ..

Cheers

washdog :thumbup:

Although I don't have an Octavia I do have the tuning box on my Leon, same engine 184. And it does make a difference, I also have the pedal box as well, although doesn't add bhp it certainly adds fun.

I have had my car in for 2 services since having it installed and its never shown up, also had it in for a few issues not relating to engine. Always take it off.

If you speak to the guys at DTUK they'll give you some tips on insurance costs. They're always very helpful and informed.

Wear a tear I asked about and all they said was tyres! Ha

• Like 1

Help and advice please..  I have been considering getting a dtuk box for my Octavia 2.0 tdi vrs 184 bhp 64 plate , for a while now but cannot make my mind up because the car is in warranty and I extended for 5 years .. so a few questions I would like help with please..

1, Is it worth the cost.

Cheers

1. Don't have one, so can't help you there!

2. If it is removed, I don't believe it likely that it would be traced

3. You would be foolish not to IMHO - should you end up in a prang you may well be unable to remove the unit and if it were discovered and you hadn't declared it, your insurers would be well within their rights to invalidate your policy

4. You would be operating outside of the Octavia spec but still within the technical limits of the engine and gearbox...you would likely still work the systems harder though so an increased level of wear and thus increased risk of failure is a possibility.

Edited by Item
  • Like 1

I have one of their new CRD3 systems, albeit on the 2.0 150ps engine - the power is smooth (quicker than a standard Golf GTD too) and noticeable improvement on economy on steady motorway journeys.

Definitely tell your insurance - mine didn't add any extra cost to the policy, only a £25 admin charge to make an amendment.

There's nothing physically altered in the ECU, so completely untraceable when removed - just you have to wait for a couple of minutes after you switch off the engine for the box to power down before removing.

Overall great product, and great service from the guys there too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just fitted one to my vRS.

Very lucky as the guy who sold it to me just casually mentioned if I'd be interested in one that came off his now recently departed vRS.

I was actually on the verge of buying one too as it happens.

£250.

WOW, on all counts!! ! :o

• Like 1

I was a bit apprehensive fitting it, as 'Murphy' is usually watching over me.

Couldn't actually be much easier.

I hasten to add that this has been added NOT for 'hooning or GP traffic light racing purposes', but for swift and safe overtaking maneuvers.

Hopefully slightly better mpg figures too, but not holding my breath on that one.

Edited by Adenuf
  • Like 2

Couldn't actually be much easier.

Diesel or petrol? I have been musing about getting one, but I understand you have to jack the car up and go in underneath to hook up the boost pressure sensor on the TSI engine?

Diesel or petrol? I have been musing about getting one, but I understand you have to jack the car up and go in underneath to hook up the boost pressure sensor on the TSI engine?

Diesel.

How easy to fit, and then remove ? (just thinking for those that might be interested in say, track day use).

Could be interesting if I was to look at doing a track day and evaluate how much better the car is with tuning? I.e. not super quick removal here, but just not hours spent in a hangar either.

Its in that sort of position where you want every inch of performance to count. I honestly don't think its so important on the road, personally.

To be honest on day to day use its really difficult to make much benefit of such high performance as the cars quick enough really (although if I wouldn't argue with extra but I'm just not sure how essential it is either).

I personally might look at some point at a remap but personally I can't consider that until I get to renewal time on my insurance which is nearly 6 months away.....the people I'm with currently are mainstrean and cheap, but extremely crap.

1, Is it worth the cost.

Cheers

The DTUK site sponsor should be able to answer you?

He used to be very active here promoting the product.

• Like 1

1, Is it worth the cost.

Cheers

1 : its a lot cheaper than buying a faster car, that was my dilemma owning the 150 tdi after the 180 bhp fabia vrs, a bit of a come down

2 : i'm told once removed theres no trace at all, ill find out next service

3 : added 15% to my policy which is £213, so about £240 ish (this is my renewal price in 4 days time)

4 : too early to tell but would you really rag the car 100% of the time or just use it for overtaking ease like i do?

if you have the cash then why not, like ive said its cheaper than buying a faster car and your fitting it to a car you know

• Like 2