Up GTI .... will there be a Citigo version ever?

vrskeith

When I took a test drive last week I was told lead time was 4 months at least and interest in the car was 

"overwhelming", so if orders are now suspended it at least shows the salesman wasn't telling porkies.

VW seem to have got this badly wrong, given that this car was first mooted in, I think, 2012 - I wonder how many sales they could have had if they'd got a move on!

Edited by Stagsfell
  • Like 1

I really doubt they made any mistake.  Smart media spin and cheap publicity.

They have loads of new EV's coming seemingly, and a ID Buzz etc, sometime, maybe, once they have the tech right. 

They have all these Cross Over SUV's, and nobody cares.

They have had a couple of years of media / magazine / internet space each time they needed to know 'Emissions' off the current stories.

They could well be building and selling loads of these not high value or profit making models, 

but they are producing and selling some and have lots of publicity.

Same as with the Golf GTI Clubsport, and then the very limited in number Clubsport S they had to produce.

Next they can announce a Junior VW UP! GTI /R race series or a e-Up! / e-Citigo race series and get more magazine space.

Or just build more Up!GT and Citigo Sportsline and have customers buying and driving them.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

They said GTI is not coming to my country. So we bought UP! TSI while waiting Citigo TSI. I think that face lift UP! is quite good looking. :)

Not as nice as face lift Citigo, but 50% more power. Easier to wait. ;)

Edited by Emil

• 10 months later...

The Up! GTI and High Up! are no longer available to order in the UK,possibly VW winding down production as the model come to the end of its time on sale.Will the Citigo be next?.

• Like 1

Are you sure about that? I've just been on the VW site and downloaded the Up! pricelist, dated 01.04.2019 (so very current). That shows the Take and Beats as being discontinued and only order-able from stock. It looks as though the 60PS versions of everything are being canned. Prices for the GTi and High Up are all listed.

All due to be replaced next year so no surprise, but why did they wait till near the end of its life to produce the Up GTI?

Edited by Miller73

41 minutes ago, Miller73 said:

All due to be replaced next year so no surprise, but why did they wait till near the end of its life to produce the Up GTI?

Exactly what I thought.

I've just looked more closely at the new price list. my tired eyes had got the symbols in the footnotes confused and it does look as though VW are killing off  all UP! models except for the 60PS-engined models. That means no more High up! or GTi models. A sad day :( . All models are shown as being WLTP type approved, so I'm not sure what the reason for this could be.

Those GTi's already on UK roads are going to become quite a collectors item, I reckon.

• Like 1