2010 Octavia 1.6 TDI Front discs and pads

When the original pads wore out I put in Bosch ones.

Few km back changed the disks and pads for EBC

Personally Bosch pads are better.

It breaks better specialty on first break

Edited by alberg

If you're selling the car soon, any will do from a reputable source (beware of ebay because of counterfeit chinese carp). I recommend Eurocarparts (or carparts4less their ebay/internet offshoot) or Gsfcarparts just compare prices/discounts.

If you're keeping it for a while, just avoid the cheapest budget own brands, pick any other. And check the disks you buy are anticorrosion coated (most are except the budget ones).

Personnaly I'm inclined to choose ATE (a conti brand) as they are genuine OE and always have good experience of conti stuff.

If you plan to keep a long time, or hate brake dust, try ceramic pads, either ATE ceramic or EPADS from Textar. Last long and stay clean apparently but they are around twice the price.

Remember to order/buy/use CERATEC non metallic brake grease. Dont use copper or lithium based grease as these will give electrolytic corrosion problems

Edited by xman

it depends on your driving style.

If you are spirited driver > Brembo Sport + Ferodo DS2500 pads but it needs racing brake fluid because lots of heat goes into calliper and brake fluid (I had just ATE Powerdisc + so called ceramic pads and boiled brake fluid many time...and it was just light 80HP car !!)

If you're normal driver > Ferodo Premium pads are very good in my test

Basically, any brake pads/disc from people with lots of racing experience. Brembo, Ferodo (guys who created first pad), Pagid/Mintex

From my experience...avoid manufacturers who makes all and nothing right. There is result of Honeywell/Garret trying to make brake pads.

Jurid have been around 100 years in braking and are part of Federal Mogul who also own Ferodo! I seem to recall they have been OE suppliers to VW in the past but I may be wrong. Certainly Ive been familiar with their name for over 30 years.

Read my post in the octavia ii forum, please contact Jurid for their comments.

Jurid is part of Honeywell/Garett...unsure about Ferodo.

VW...I've seen some old video...they used to be. they have been replaced by ATE long time ago. Perhaps that was the reason due their rubbish products...

Waste of time by contacting company that doesn't officially exists, doesn't have even webpage.

I've replaced by proven quality in motorsport...Brembo

Pagid discs, Tarox Strada pads and ATE 200 (Superblue) fluid, fantastic breaking performance, everything from everyday to track use.

Pagid discs, Tarox Strada pads and ATE 200 (Superblue) fluid, fantastic breaking performance, everything from everyday to track use.

Can you compare your brake fluid to Castrol Racing fluid, please?

Jurid was bought out from Honeywell in 2014 by Federal Mogul. Their pads/disks are now made in France.

"In 2014, Honeywell completed the $155 million sale of its friction materials business to Federal Mogul Corp."

Federal Mogul also own Ferodo.

http://www.ferodo.com/en-gb/AboutUs/Our-Company/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.virtualmarket.innotrans.com/en/Ferodo-JURID-Friction-Products,p1257561

Sniper, you should contact Jurid with your findings and allow them to comment.

All pads sold in the EU MUST comply with ECE R90 regulations so they should be as good as an OE pad to within 15% on several key patameters including performance and durability.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECE_Regulation_90

Your pads may have been counterfeit.

Edited by xman

Can you compare your brake fluid to Castrol Racing fluid, please?

ATE 200 has a higher boiling point over the Castrol and doesn't need to be changed as often, every three years under normal road use as opposed to the 18months of the Castrol, plus the long history of tried and tested use in Motorsport puts the ATE above Castrol IMO :)

ATE 200 has a higher boiling point over the Castrol and doesn't need to be changed as often, every three years under normal road use as opposed to the 18months of the Castrol, plus the long history of tried and tested use in Motorsport puts the ATE above Castrol IMO :)

Boiling point doesn't matter much if brake fluid is unable to dissipate heat. I've heard from circuit guys that Castrol is great with thermal shocks and heat exchange.

Normal brake fluid, once boiled...it takes long time to cool down. I wonder about ATE.

Motorsport...I never heard about ATE in motorsport but I've heard Brembo + Castrol...for example Skoda Fabia RS2000, R5.

Three years under normal use...this claim smells fishy...who uses racing fluid for normal use ;-) If you really push it hard...even 18months is too much. It loses all additives, oxides due heat and so on.

Edited by sniper29a

Boiling point doesn't matter much if brake fluid is unable to dissipate heat. I've heard from circuit guys that Castrol is great with thermal shocks and heat exchange.

Normal brake fluid, once boiled...it takes long time to cool down. I wonder about ATE.

Motorsport...I never heard about ATE in motorsport but I've heard Brembo + Castrol...for example Skoda Fabia RS2000, R5.

Three years under normal use...this claim smells fishy...who uses racing fluid for normal use ;-) If you really push it hard...even 18months is too much. It loses all additives, oxides due heat and so on.

I doubt the OP will be doing track days so it would very relevant to him, this set up was fantastic for our family on Alpine roads, very hot days and not a hint of brake fade.

I also ran the set up on track at Bedford (GT Circuit) all day on a very hot day without brake fade, ran a slow lap each time before coming in and everything performed impeccably.

So I'm just sharing from my own experience, not theory, on a set up which has worked very well.

If you have similar experience of the products your recommending then I'm sure he will find that helpful too :)

Edited by DarrellGB