Drum Brake Question

Hi all just a quick enquiry - I have just been on holiday and en-route the shoes on the near side began grinding.

Now home I am going to replace the shoes - my query is - do I replace the drums too whilst at it ???

Thanks in advance

It all depends on how bad the scoring is on the drums. They can be machined but only to a minimum thickness. Depending on how cheap the drums are is whether to replace them or not really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers & I think I will just change the drums too.

Also I think changing to disc is out of my capability - what would I need ??? Do you want to do it

You'd need new backplates, new brake pipes, new stub axles, new bearings, callipers, carriers, discs and pads. More than the cost of shoes wheel cylinders and drums being replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a discs conversion

2 Handbrake cables

Discs and pads

Calipers and carriers

2 Splash shields

Or buy off a car that's breaking or take the complete axle and swap that way

No need to change stub axles or bearings as they are the same 

Any Octavia I buy that has drum brakes are changed as a matter of safety as had a brown trousers moment when the clip retaining the brake shoe in place failed the piston on the slave cylinder popped off 

Edited by sesachc

I did the drums, shoes, springs and cylinders all at the same time. Mostly as theyd never been touched in the preceding 170k...

For a discs conversion

2 Handbrake cables

Discs and pads

Calipers and carriers

2 Splash shields

Or buy off a car that's breaking or take the complete axle and swap that way

No need to change stub axles or bearings as they are the same 

Any Octavia I buy that has drum brakes are changed as a matter of safety as had a brown trousers moment when the clip retaining the brake shoe in place failed the piston on the slave cylinder popped off 

To change the backplates you have to remove the bearing and usually that means a new bearing. Depending on how badly the bearing is on the stub axle dictates if it needs replacing or not. I upgraded my rear callipers and discs to vRS discs and callipers on my tdi and had to replace the rear bearings and was lucky that I didnt need the stubs as the bearings were able to be removed from them.

To change the backplates you have to remove the bearing and usually that means a new bearing. Depending on how badly the bearing is on the stub axle dictates if it needs replacing or not. I upgraded my rear callipers and discs to vRS discs and callipers on my tdi and had to replace the rear bearings and was lucky that I didnt need the stubs as the bearings were able to be removed from them.

Yup that's right, you do have to remove the stub axle in order to fit the splash shields and replacing parts while you do that is optional