Wing mirrors difference between LHD and RHD cars?

Hi all

My passenger side (near side) wing mirror took a hit and broke

iG8pT4z.jpg

The mirror shell clips and part of the indicator + puddle lamp casing at the bottom are also cracked, so I am looking at a full replacement assembly.

While looking for a replacement, I was wondering if the mirror assembly of right-hand drive and left-hand drive cars are interchangeable (my car is RHD)?

I know that the mirror lenses for RHD and LHD are different - I have a spare mirror glass for the near side, so if I get a mirror assembly from an LHD car and swap the mirror, will it work? I am not sure if the wiring is different for the cars - so will the electric adjust and heating etc of a LHD assembly work on an RHD?

Also, if the replacement mirror does not have a puddle lamp, can I take out the bit from my broken mirror and install that? The cracked bit is the black plastic trim - the indicator and puddle lamp themselves are okay:

EFLfV3F.jpg

Can I take out this bit separately?:

LzvL738.jpg

Cheers

housing-wise......i believe the angles are different between LHD and RHD.

for example, if u got a LHD driver side mirror, it will be angled differently to the RHD passenger side mirror.

tis the same the other way around - if u tried to replace ur RHD driver mirror with a LHD passenger mirror.

hope that made sense.

The whole lower part of the mirror is a single assembly bonded together and held in by a couple of screws and clips behind the mirror glass.

Edited by mannyo
  • Like 1

housing-wise......i believe the angles are different between LHD and RHD.

for example, if u got a LHD driver side mirror, it will be angled differently to the RHD passenger side mirror.

tis the same the other way around - if u tried to replace ur RHD driver mirror with a LHD passenger mirror.

hope that made sense.

Ah, so swapping the mirror lens alone won't work then?

The whole lower part of the mirror is a single assembly bonded together and held in by a couple of screws and clips behind the mirror glass.

That's too bad! The lower part with the indicator and puddle lamp alone costs around £25 I think.