EGR CEL help! Any Techs?

2004 Fabia VRS 170K unmodified

So the wife's fabia popped up with the CEL last week. VCDS says P3130 EGR system regulation range exceeded intermittent.

I have done the following:

Wiped code - came back on within 5 miles

Removed EGR and checked - it wasn't too bad to be fair however I cleaned it with carb cleaner and petrol - unblocked every orifice I could see. Refitted with new gasket and seal from TPS

This lasted 30 miles before it the same fault appeared.

Checked both vac pipes, both are sound. removed both pipes on the regulator side and connected my foot pump to both. Both hold pressure ok ish - the lower one seems to leaks around the EGR rubber valve when pressure is high and the top one leakes around the spaceship when pressure is high.

Reconnected and removed both on the EGR side And started engine. I have good vaccume on the top one and no vaccume on the bottom one on tickover?

I have performed EGR duty cycle with VCDS and I'm getting readings between 4 to 84% by revving the car. It stays quite high at around 84%. VCDS tells me the range should be between 40 to 75 so this sounds knackered?

No running problems, similar mpg. Any ideas? New EGR or solenoid?

Cheers :)

Edited by nafeun

You could possibly try mapping it out? Not sure of the implications of doing this on the VRS with the "anti-shudder" - hopefully someone with more experience of this particular engine will be along to advise, and be very carefull/confident if doing anything that changes the base map on the car.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/282883-map-out-egr-system/

Yeah that is an option, I live only 5 minutes from

Dirty torque and I'm sure they could sort it for me. The only draw back I can see is longer warm up time therefore less mpg. If I can fix cheaply I will however the remap is the next best option

Like the last post says I would get a vac pump / tester on it to see if the EGR valve is knackered. I would also look at replacing the vac pipes if you are experiencing some leakage from them. Hose rubber does perish over time. It sounds like you may need a new EGR valve though. Shop around on eBay or in scrap yards and you might find a good low mileage EGR valve to replace it with rather than paying out for new.

Was oil leaking from the hole in the side of the EGR valve ?

Once oil appears at the hole in the side of the casing then the EGR is on borrowed time, rubber diaphragms and oil don't generally go well together.

No need to buy a vacuum pump, just push the plunger up by hand, place a finger over the vacuum port and release the plunger.

If the diaphragm is Ok the plunger will stay in place and not close under spring pressure until your finger is removed from the vacuum port.

• 1 month later...