1.0 TSI

Has anyone got experience of the 1.0tsi in other VAG cars or the 1.2tsi Octavia?

I'm looking to buy a petrol Octavia in the next few weeks and was originally going to go for the 1.4tsi however when I look at my driving I am beginning to think that the smaller engine might make more sense.  Most of my driving is about town and on country roads, with the occasional jaunt down the A9 to Edinburgh or the NC500.

I'm happy enough driving at 60/70 mph however my concern is that the 1.0tsi might just be a bit too underpowered for the car so any advice or experience much appreciated.   :sun:

Has anyone got experience of the 1.0tsi in other VAG cars or the 1.2tsi Octavia?

I'm looking to buy a petrol Octavia in the next few weeks and was originally going to go for the 1.4tsi however when I look at my driving I am beginning to think that the smaller engine might make more sense. Most of my driving is about town and on country roads, with the occasional jaunt down the A9 to Edinburgh or the NC500.

I'm happy enough driving at 60/70 mph however my concern is that the 1.0tsi might just be a bit too underpowered for the car so any advice or experience much appreciated. :sun:

I have it in an Ibiza FR with DSG. It's certainly not underpowered in the Ibiza. Cracking little engine. Much better than the 1.2TSI (105) I had previously. Only criticism is that it can be a little gruff at higher revs (typical 3cyl noise) but the DSG takes care of that most of the time keeping me in the best rev range for economy.

Generally, if you've tried a 1.2 TSI in an Octavia, the 1.0TSI with either be on par or exceed it. I'd more than likely say exceed it as the torque figure is greatly increased.

I've had the 1.2 TSI since October and it's great for us. We don't do massive miles but can do the odd 200 mile trip and and a 100 mile round trip every other week and it's easily up to the task. We have two kids and both have car seats (both under 2) and always have a big pram in the boot and the car doesn't struggle at all. Has decent power and can easily cruise at 80.

I was dubious after reading all the reviews that recommended it, but I was sold when I took it for a test drive.

Isn't it amazing what they are getting out of small engines these days. My 1.4 feels like a 2 litre of a few years ago.

I think you may be under selling the 1.4tsi to be honest.

The 250Nm my version produces between 1500-3500rpm corresponds what a good 2.5 litre normally aspirated engine can produce at its peak (normally above 4000 rpm).

That lower rev range is where I spend most of my time and I derive the most benefit. Others who like to consistently rev higher should look elsewhere.

I'll admit (if you go back far enough) you used to get more real performance from some 2 litre cars as they were considerably lighter, a car that weighed a tonne was considered lardy, now a tonne is the domain of the current mini/micro cars.

I've only driven a 1 litre Ford Focus and felt it struggled when off-boost (where you should get the best economy) compared to the 1.4tsi.

Isn't the VW engine for the economy sector going to be the newly announce 4 cylinder 1.5tsi? So isn't this is going against the smaller capacity trend?

Edited by Gerrycan

My 1.4 feels like a 2 litre of a few years ago.

I think you may be under selling the 1.4tsi to be honest.

I guess it depends how far back you want to go, but I had an early 90's cavalier with an 8v 2.0i engine (115bhp). The 1.2TSi is almost exactly it's equal for torque and power, also for weight, and probably for driveability as the 8v engine had a very flat torque curve. As you say, the later 16v engines would be more of a match for the 1.4TSi for power, but not for torque as it was all at the top end in those days.

Very impressed with this new breed of petrol engines.

I have a 1.2 TSI estate, 4 adults with luggage and a ski box on top on the German motorways cruising at 100 MPH no problem. Took some effort on the hills at time, we got everywhere safely and comfortably. If I was doing more distance daily would probably think about the 1.4tsi.

Isn't it amazing what they are getting out of small engines these days. My 1.4 feels like a 2 litre of a few years ago.

I find it astonishing that a 1 litre engine can pull a car the size of the Octavia around. The engineering that goes into these things now is incredible.

I'm still sometimes genuinely surprised by the turn of pace in the 1.4, and also (especially) the torque at low revs.

• Like 3

Cant comment on the VAG one, but I did have a Focus with the 100hp 3 cylinder engine for 5 months as a pool car last year. The engine was a little gem, pulled well, was great fun to rev, and after 15 years with diesel cars so quiet and smooth. I kept having to check the rev counter to make sure the thing was still running. The elephant in the room however was economy. When I got it at 7000 miles, the average was showing 37mpg, which I thought was a joke, However over the next 12000 miles and 5 months of mainly A-B road driving, it only went up to 45mpg. Even on long trips driving like my granny I struggled to get over 50mpg. In comparison I've averaging 60mpg out of my current A3 (sorry) 1.6 tdi and seeing lots of trips over 70mpg.

I would have no worries that the 115hp VAG version could cope with a car the size of an Octavia, as long as the annual mileage was reasonably low, or economy was not going to be an issue.

It's plenty powerful enough by the looks of things. It's obviously going to be working a bit harder to get going with some weight in the car. My 1.9 TDI DSG will happily pull itself along with 5 adults and 5 suitcases and still get over 50mpg but a 1.0 tsi will need working through the gears which is going to affect economy somewhat.

As per above... judging by the ford 1.0 ecoboost they may have good economy on paper but my parents have had nowhere near the claimed figure from their previous B-max 100bhp and their current Ecoboost 120bhp. Another funny thing driving a big car with such a small engine is the lack of inertia from the engine going down hills! It just doesn't slow itself down and you have to change all the way down and have it screaming or use the brakes more.

It's modern engineering I guess.

I was equally surprised, and it's a few years ago now, by a courtesy car I was loaned when a previous Octy had a warranty job done on it.

Crawley Downs Skoda loaned me a Nissan Micra Urbis. I had it for a couple of days and was very surprised at how nice it was to drive, not only a bit of zip but its handling, gearchange etc.

I'm sure the 1.0 will be good, but as its a 3 cylinder it will make that 'thrummy' noise when you rev it. 

A 3 cylinder will never be as smooth or refined as a 4 cylinder. 

Thats the bonus with the 1.2 TSi, its small but powerful, but as its a 4 cylinder you cant really tell its small, as there isnt much noise, it could be a 1.6 for all you know.

Should be some good deals on 1.2 TSi still in stock, as they are being phased out.

Yes it does have the signature 3 cylinder "thrum" but nowhere near as bad as some. Just a nice little noise. I've seen reviews of the Golf 1.0 TSI and they say it is very quiet and refined.

It's modern engineering I guess.

I was equally surprised, and it's a few years ago now, by a courtesy car I was loaned when a previous Octy had a warranty job done on it.

Crawley Downs Skoda loaned me a Nissan Micra Urbis. I had it for a couple of days and was very surprised at how nice it was to drive, not only a bit of zip but its handling, gearchange etc.

Ditto on the Micra. Very good mechanicals, just let down by the awful body.

I don't have experience of the 1.0TSI but would personally opt for the bigger 1.4TSI engine.  The 1.0 is a three cylinder and I don't believe real-world economy figures would be massively better than a 1.4TSI.  The smaller any engine, the higher it has to rev for power and the turbo has to take a huge amount of strain which may be a reliability issue long term.  The torque I understand is also much lower.

Downsizing is great in many respects, but 1.0TSI is probably quite extreme for an Octavia.  I'd rather a bigger engine (which, incidentally I have).

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/94276/volkswagen-reveals-details-of-new-15-litre-tsi-petrol " Available in both 128bhp and 148bhp". Oh well, it looks VW is planning/trying to charge us consumers by selling different software parameters  :notme:  Would be nice to know the torque of the upper end 1.5 though.

Downsizing is great in many respects, but 1.0TSI is probably quite extreme for an Octavia.

Ford put a 1 litre three cylinder engine with 125 ps in their Mondeo. The car weighs around 150 kg more than the lightest Octavia. Now that IS extreme.

The torque I understand is also much lower.

I hadn't spotted this. It's over a narrower range too. 148 Nm from 2000 to 3500 rpm, compared with 175 Nm from 1400 to 4000 rpm in the 110 PS 1.2. The 115 PS is quoted for only a single engine speed too, 5500 rpm, compared with 4600 to 5600 rpm. I'm glad I bought my 1.2 when I did. The 1.0 does have better claimed acceleration, top speed and economy though.

Both engines give better claimed performance in the Octavia than the 125 PS 1.0 l Focus, but the 1.2 has worse economy.

Is the new 1.5 l likely to appear in a facelifted Octavia next year?

148 Nm from 2000 to 3500 rpm, compared with 175 Nm from 1400 to 4000 rpm in the 110 PS 1.2.

I thought I read 148 lb.ft, which is ~200Nm, although I hear what you're saying about the narrower band.

I thought I read 148 lb.ft, which is ~200Nm, although I hear what you're saying about the narrower band.

The brochure has always been in Nm. The one I downloaded a couple of weeks ago claims 148 Nm for the 1.0 and 250 Nm for the 1.4.

There's always a chance that it's a misprint, especially considering their liking for round numbers. 200 Nm rounded to the nearest lb ft is 148 lb ft. Can anyone be bothered to look it up somewhere where they definitely won't be using Imperial units?

It doesn't exist on the Skoda UK website yet, but there are reviews online from several of the usual motoring press suspects, who all have it down as 148lbft or 200Nm.

250Nm is obviously better, but 200Nm should be OK in an Octavia. I think 148 would be inadequate had that been the case, but it doesn't look like it is. The general gist of the reviews is that it goes OK, but it's not very refined, which I can believe.

Edited by Geek42

It doesn't exist on the Skoda UK website yet,

What doesn't? MY17 brochures with the 1.0 in have been available for download for weeks.

but there are reviews online from several of the usual motoring press suspects, who all have it down as 148lbft or 200Nm.

I see what you mean. Skoda UK appear to have put out a press release mentioning 148 lb ft and then got confused when they came to do the brochure. International websites are quoting 200 Nm.

Just checked the new manual, which also claims 200 Nm between 2000 and 3500 rpm. Looks like the brochure is definitely wrong.