2016 1.2 tsi Monte Carlo gearbox worries

Hi, I'm new to Skoda ownership and this forum but hope you can give me some advice? We've just taken delivery of our new 1.2 tsi Monte Carlo and everything about it is great but I have a little concern over the gearbox. It's my wife's car so I've only driven it a couple of times kbut I had a go in it last night and 2 things worry me. Firstly I think there is a gearbox noise which is very hard to hear and at first I thought it was a bit of induction roar, so it's more of a light rumble than anything else, but I discounted that on the basis that the noise didn't increase with more revs or throttle position it just changes with speed. The other thing I don't like is the gearbox selection there seems to be a lot more play in the gear lever than I would expect from a brand new car (500 miles) and I found that although I didn't miss any gears I had to concentrate to make sure they all went in correctly. When driving along in any gear you can move the gear lever around quite a lot. We've just changed from a Suzuki Swift sport and the gearbox in that was slick, precise and easy to use, I don' think the Fabias is any where near that and I can only see it getting worse over time. I'm going to speak to the dealer but thought it worth asking the questions here first. Cheers

Edited by Lodgey47

Can't say I've noticed this on mine (I have the 5 speed box though).

Definitely worth talking the dealer, even take a technician for a spin in it so you can really point it out incase they come back and say they couldn't replicate the noise etc.

Hi, I'm new to Skoda ownership and this forum but hope you can give me some advice? We've just taken delivery of our new 1.2 tsi Monte Carlo and everything about it is great but I have a little concern over the gearbox. It's my wife's car so I've only driven it a couple of times kbut I had a go in it last night and 2 things worry me. Firstly I think there is a gearbox noise which is very hard to hear and at first I thought it was a bit of induction roar, so it's more of a light rumble than anything else, but I discounted that on the basis that the noise didn't increase with more revs or throttle position it just changes with speed. The other thing I don't like is the gearbox selection there seems to be a lot more play in the gear lever than I would expect from a brand new car (500 miles) and I found that although I didn't miss any gears I had to concentrate to make sure they all went in correctly. When driving along in any gear you can move the gear lever around quite a lot. We've just changed from a Suzuki Swift sport and the gearbox in that was slick, precise and easy to use, I don' think the Fabias is any where near that and I can only see it getting worse over time. I'm going to speak to the dealer but thought it worth asking the questions here first. Cheers

Before I ordered my SE L Ihadan extended test drive in a 1.2 TSI MC with the 6-spd manual. Delightful gearbox, real fingertip changes...to the extent that I very nearly went for the manual over thec DSG, but didn't in the end. The Fabia gearbox may have a problem but it could also be that by being different to the Suzuki you are now looking for a problem. Not saying that is the case, but you need to drive other Fabias to make a judgement.

Different car, a Polo 1.2TSI 110 6MT bought new in August 2015, gearbox just as slick as wife's previous Polo 1.4 16V 75 5MT bought new in September 2002!

Got creaking from dashboard though!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'm looking for a problem but the comparison between the car you've just come out of and the new one you go into is going to be natural and taking on board rum's comment then maybe there is something amiss?? Given I'm even having to think about changing gear and am always trying to listen for the noise to identify where it's coming from is something you shouldn't have to do in a new car. I'll have a drive in it tomorrow and see what I think.

I've had my Sel for 14 months now and 11000 miles. No issues whatsoever with the gearbox and no creaks from the dashboard either.

That's bad, the creaking from the dashboard is missing?  Must be one of the few Polo/Ibiza/Fabia of the latest variety that has not got a creak - strange?

That's bad, the creaking from the dashboard is missing?  Must be one of the few Polo/Ibiza/Fabia of the latest variety that has not got a creak - strange?

I know, strange but true. The only issue I've had is that the front parking sensors are sometimes far too sensitive. Skoda Ayr checked them at the 1st service and unsurprisingly found nothing amiss.

Ibiza coupe that's almost 3 months old now is quiet too except the armrest covered in Alcantara that started rattling from day one (haven't sorted it yet).

Tõnu

I've got the same engine/gearbox albeit in an Octavia.

The gearbox isn't the most slick I've ever used. It can sometimes baulk when going into gears. It is getting better as the miles go up. But is does require some feeling to get the gears in smoothly, generally improves as the speed increases.

VW have never been known for great gearboxes.....or engines for that matter...

With regard to the noise, no gearbox noise on mine, just road roar, are you sure it isn't road noise? 

No pretty sure it's not road noise it doesn't seem to change whatever the road surface. It is really difficult to tell where the noise originates, what I need to do is drive another 6 speeder to compare. Does anyone else notice any induction 'roar,? I've called it roar but it isn't like the twin 40 delortto's I used to have on twin cam alfa's back in the day but I'd probably described it more of an induction 'draw'. I might be making something out of nothing but just thought it worth asking whether anyone has had any similar experiences.