Bike cleaning kit

XLBaconDoubleCheese

Ooh few things I use with great effect...

Muc off or wd40 bike wash, hose off the bike, spray on and wash off.

autoglym degreaser makes chain gunk dissappear with one spray and a wipe.

Bsd for a quick shine after a wash - nothing will get a shine like it.

I use these every week to keep on top of the bike and it looks great in 30 minutes.

• Like 1

I use Muc off too.. important to get it off metal though, as it has been known to corrode if left on. 

ACF50 is good, if you plan on riding in anything but Nipple675r weather. 

Autoglym Super Resin Polish is good enough for bikes imo (well, when its not matte paint anyway!). It's got fillers in and gives a good shine.. then a wax on top. 

I use some engine degreaser on chain lube. Tiny little bit on it and it washes straight off. 

This is the shampoo i use: 

http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/lather-500ml

It gives a really good finish and is PH neutral, so doesn't strip waxes off. 

I like to spray flies with water and leave them for 5 minutes before i wash... then they just wipe off pretty much. 

Aldi has muc off cycle products in for push bikes but same stuff as I've been told by halfords lol 750ml spray on rinse off muc off cleaner big aerosol of protectorant and water dispersant and aerosol of chain cleaner in a pack all 3 for £10.99 methinks good value as the cleaner is about £7.99 on own

I've used motorex in the past, won it in some competition I'd forgotten I'd entered, that was quite good. Got a freebie muc off recently but not been on the bike, therefore no washing. Seemed alright on the pushbike though.

Castrol chain wax was my favourite when I was riding regularly.

Abba stand is a must as you can work on the whole bike without having to move it.

I stick by paraffin, tooth brush, old rags for the chain and do it regularly.

I stopped using Muc Off as i found it harsh on anodised parts fading their colour. I've just been using the same stuff as I do on the car. I now have snow foam so will be trying that when I get round to cleaning the bike.

I stopped using Muc Off as i found it harsh on anodised parts fading their colour. I've just been using the same stuff as I do on the car. I now have snow foam so will be trying that when I get round to cleaning the bike.

I like snowfoam but ive never used it on the bike.

Its the jetwashing off bit that puts me off :D. I wont put a jetwash near a bike at all costs tbh

I also use Castrol Racing Chain Wax too. A little goes a long way and doesn't fling. I've used Scotoilers before but found them more trouble than they were worth. If you are using chain wax warm the contents by sitting the tin in hot water. The wax comes out much thinner then and soaks right down between the rollers and plates, just remember to wear a glove when you take it out of the hot water. Wipe of any excess and job done. It is a once year bit of maintenance.

Its the jetwashing off bit that puts me off :D. I wont put a jetwash near a bike at all costs tbh

Plenty of horror stories about washing grease out of bearings etc but never experienced it. I do try to avoid spraying directly at electrics though. I'm lucky enough to have a compressor so the bike gets a blow dry too. The compressed air from that would in theory be just as damaging as pressured water jets.

All the dealers I've ever dealt with use jet washers too so they must know if any damage is going to be caused by using them.

When I do the bike next I'll post some pics to show the before and after with the snow foam. I'm impressed with the stuff on the car so hopefully it will be just as gentle but effective on the bike. 

Snow foam didn't work.

ahaha. Why's that? because the grime on the bike is usually quite greasy and oil based? 

Snowfoams good for loosening off dirty before a proper wash, but i dont really feel the need on the bike anyway tbh. There isnt that many painted surfaces and most of it is intricate little bits that are just waiting to make your hand bleed as soon as you try to get to them :D.. 

Nevermind eh! There was no harm in trying! :)

Thanks for the replies.....

autoglym degreaser makes chain gunk dissappear with one spray and a wipe.

Which one? Do you have a link? I can find/have motorcycle cleaner but it's no good on the dirty stuff. 

ACF50 is good, if you plan on riding in anything but Nipple675r weather. 

:D :D :D 

You can use lower power though, I use a Jetwash turned down just because my water pressure is a bit naff, or use a snowfoam on the hose pipe. I used it on the bike before, works ok but there's not much bodywork on a bike which is where you notice it most. 

Keep them coming guys, I'm going to get carried away I think :D 

• Like 1

Which one? Do you have a link? I can find/have motorcycle cleaner but it's no good on the dirty stuff.

You can use lower power though, I use a Jetwash turned down just because my water pressure is a bit naff, or use a snowfoam on the hose pipe. I used it on the bike before, works ok but there's not much bodywork on a bike which is where you notice it most.

Id still be careful personally. Every bikes different, but the T for example has a great load of grease on the rear dogbone, which causes huge problems (the dogbone eventually siezes up and snaps) if it gets washed off. Needs to be kept ontop of.

Just little bits like that around different bikes.

Maybe im abit too on the courteous side though :D :D.

• Like 1

If I can shoot my hand at point blank range, I'm sure the bike will survive. I'm not talking about pointing it at the bike 2mm away, but a general blow over with it will be fine I think. I am talking the same kinda pressure as a hose pipe with the end squeezed old skool style (well, anyone else's hose, mines crap)

You're right though, better to be safe than sorry. 

Edited by matt1chelski

If I can shoot my hand at point blank range, I'm sure the bike will survive. I'm not talking about pointing it at the bike 2mm away, but a general blow over with it will be fine I think. I am talking the same kinda pressure as a hose pipe with the end squeezed old skool style (well, anyone else's hose, mines crap)

You're right though, better to be safe than sorry.

Ah right yeah. Itll be fine if its that low. Like you say, sounds more like a hosepipe pressure than jetwash. :).

Ill get the name of our degreaser when i remember. Its bloody great stuff. Not sure if its still available to buy or not though.

• Like 1

ahaha. Why's that? because the grime on the bike is usually quite greasy and oil based? 

Snowfoams good for loosening off dirty before a proper wash, but i dont really feel the need on the bike anyway tbh. There isnt that many painted surfaces and most of it is intricate little bits that are just waiting to make your hand bleed as soon as you try to get to them :D.. 

Nevermind eh! There was no harm in trying! :)

Paintwork and wheels no problem, didn't need much of a wash after.  The swingarm and engine cases it didn't seem to have any effect which I think is because the they are pieces and not being smooth finish the dirt grips more.. Like you say it was worth a try.

• Like 1

Paintwork and wheels no problem, didn't need much of a wash after. The swingarm and engine cases it didn't seem to have any effect which I think is because the they are pieces and not being smooth finish the dirt grips more.. Like you say it was worth a try.

Ahh okay. Nevermind eh. Live and learn :).

Comes in an aerosol can, white with a green label. I think its just called degreaser. Really good stuff. See if I can find a link...

Comes in an aerosol can, white with a green label. I think its just called degreaser. Really good stuff. See if I can find a link...

I thought as much, I cant find it anywhere. Luckily I have found another that people seem to rate, SDOC100, although it's more readily available, it's not really in shops so I've sent my brother on a road trip to get me some tomorrow :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Although this is not technically cleaning kit, it is without doubt one of the best things I have bought for the bike which allows you to both clean and service it  :thumbup:  

P1130276_zpsl95eitl9.jpg

P1130278_zpshrfp4xzv.jpg

P1130279_zpsqoofg6ql.jpg

In case you hadn't already guessed   :D  , it's the Abba Superbike stand - great piece of kit.

Bought it when I had my previous bike and the great thing about it is that when you change your bike, new adaptors to fit your new bike come in at around £20 - £25

Edited by BlueMonster

Although this is not technically cleaning kit, it is without doubt one of the best things I have bought for the bike which allows you to both clean and service it :thumbup:

P1130276_zpsl95eitl9.jpg

P1130278_zpshrfp4xzv.jpg

P1130279_zpsqoofg6ql.jpg

In case you hadn't already guessed :D , it's the Abba Superbike stand - great piece of kit.

Bought it when I had my previous bike and the great thing about it is that when you change your bike, new adaptors to fit your new bike come in at around £20 - £25

Ive got one myself and completely agree. Its brilliant!