Just refused the VAG Emissions Recall

There is not actually a 'Recall' on any safety matter.

There is a type of Service Campaign, or Recall Action as VW call them now, but you need to check the Emissions Scandals Check sites,

if the 'Registered Keeper' does not receive notification in writing.

No Recall on the DVSA / DfT Site.

http://gov.uk/check-if-a-vehicle-has-been-recalled

There is  VW Group Recall Actions as we know on their need to meet their agreement with government departments. 

No Recall Action here.   (or as an advert says, 'No veneer here',  just spin and bluff and a thin disguise of polishing a turd.)

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

AE

Volkswagen's fix for the emissions scandal has been discredited by an Italian consumer group which claims vehicles that have undergone the fix to remove the defeat device emit nitrogen oxide (NOx) levels that are 25% above legal limits.

The Italian consumer group Altroconsumo, a member of the European Consumer Organisation (BEUC) tested an Audi Q5 that had been recalled by the VW Group and fitted with a new 'flow transfomer'. Even with the fix on-board, the consumer group's results showed the car to pollute 25 per cent above the EU legal limit.

Volkswagen’s fix for affected European cars involved a new ‘flow transformer’ which helps to improve the accuracy of the air mass sensor, which in turn improves the EGR flow rate, resulting in lower emissions.

I am writing to confirm that we are now able to carry out the technical measure relating to the NOx emissions issue affecting your SKODA vehicle. Thank you for your patience while the technical measure was developed, finalised and approved. I wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused during this time.

For your SKODA with a 2.0 litre TDI engine the measure will involve a software update to the engine management system. SKODA has worked closely with the relevant, independent authorities to test extensively the software update for your vehicle. Following the completion of this testing, I can confirm that there will be no change to your vehicle's engine performance, maximum torque or noise levels. The performance data already published for your vehicle, including fuel consumption values and CO2 emissions, will also remain unchanged.

I'd love to see the RPM/Power and RPM/Torque curve graphs for a car pre and post this fix.

I would guess the torque might have the same maximum, but the curves and the areas under them change, so changing driving characteristics.

After what has happened in the US, then unless the fixes in the UK are to the same standard as the UK or fixed cars come with an extensive warranty on the engine/drivetrain, then I doubt I'd look at VW group for the next car.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 2

I'd love to see the RPM/Power and RPM/Torque curve graphs for a car pre and post this fix.

I would guess the torque might have the same maximum, but the curves and the areas under them change, so changing driving characteristics.

After what has happened in the US, then unless the fixes in the UK are to the same standard as the UK or fixed cars come with an extensive warranty on the engine/drivetrain, then I doubt I'd look at VW group for the next car.

I'm not sure those plots would tell you much.

Aren't dyno runs usually done at full throttle? Emissions stuff is usually disabled during those conditions; so I think you'd see no difference.

The conditions where you might well see a difference are part-throttle operation, when emissions systems are fully active. 

Nothing stopping you from doing a before/after session under those conditions, I guess, but you'd need some way of repeatably running the same degree of 'part-throttleness'.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/27/2016 at 15:50, silver1011 said:

Car dropped off, nothing to sign, I just needed to state my reasons for not wanting the software updating.

I should mention with the price match (for the cambelt), their collection and drop-off service (prompt, car always cleaned) and their willingness to accommodate my request that the recall was not carried out that Pulman Skoda in Durham score 10 out of 10...

EA189%20Recall%201_zps8snwamvd.jpg

EA189%20Recall%202_zpsm4gngnvy.jpg

Glad you had such good service from your dealer, mine despite being told not to, MOTd my Roomster three months too early went it went in for a service. When I challenged them they said it was too late to rectify the situation. Our local dealers are all pretty poor.  Given all the reported problems resulting from the update, I asked Skoda UK to agree to take it off again at their cost if it proved to be problematical but they just sent me a waffle reply that effectively said they wouldn't. I have the 1.6tdi 110 and it has already had to have an EGR replaced at 40K....cost a bloody fortune and the fuel consumption has dropped about 5 mpg since the replacement was fitted which means I am down to about 45mpg average. I cannot afford to risk losing anymore as a result of the "fix." My 1.6 had never been as good mpg wise as my previous 1.9tdi and it it is now definitely unimpressive. I have also got a Ford Grand Tourneo Connect with a 1.5 diesel engine and it easily beats the Roomster both around town and on a run by a good 5 - 8 mpg. Had SKodas for years but I suspect this is now a parting of the ways  

• Like 1

^^^ 

Surely even by a terrible tuner that works at it as a profession can as long as they have all the gear and software and know how to use it, 

you are only talking uploading the old engine management software & with the 1.6TDI getting shot of the 'flux inhibitor'.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2017 at 17:42, roomsterfan said:

Glad you had such good service from your dealer, mine despite being told not to, MOTd my Roomster three months too early went it went in for a service. When I challenged them they said it was too late to rectify the situation.

As it happens the Skoda UK form I filled and and signed was a rather pointless exercise.

Almost a year to the day after dropping my car in at the dealer for an MOT the requirement for the emissions fix was on the job card. Had I not asked them not to do it then they'd have done it whilst it was in.

Recall Refusal.pdf