Just refused the VAG Emissions Recall

It's not like you couldn't have it done at a later date if you change your mind; good decision IMO. I'd've asked for something in writing to confirm that they weren't doing it, but hopefully your relationship with the dealer in question means that's an unnecessary precaution.

• Like 1

Cheers for sharing, its good to know the options and how Skoda handle it. Wonder if you'll need to request everytime you visit a dealer.

I'm thinking (hoping) that the recall on mine will have zero affect on the car. ie its just removing the 'I am in test' mode.

Of course I am too trusting in thinking that they would not affect the performance in any way without telling us!

• Like 1

Interesting post by silver 1101. I was unaware that any emission recalls had actually been approved or started in UK.

I am interested to see what the form referred to contains when it arrives with the driver on returning the car. It may be some kind of disclaimer.

Thanks for posting.

The car is on it's way back to me as I write. I'll take a scan of the form I sign and share it here.

It should also be worth noting that my car is well out of warranty. My stance on this (and Skoda's) might be different if it came to honoring any future warranty claims on newer / lower mileage cars?

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Car dropped off, nothing to sign, I just needed to state my reasons for not wanting the software updating.

I should mention with the price match (for the cambelt), their collection and drop-off service (prompt, car always cleaned) and their willingness to accommodate my request that the recall was not carried out that Pulman Skoda in Durham score 10 out of 10...

EA189%20Recall%201_zps8snwamvd.jpg

EA189%20Recall%202_zpsm4gngnvy.jpg

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

I don't blame you at this stage, mine will be due a service in December so hopefully by then there will be a few tried and tested examples so I can decide if I want it doing

• Like 1

Get them to sign a form with a written guarantee that the work done will cause no ill effects to the emissions system for 3 years,that will show how confident they are.

Interesting there is a section specificity for tuned vehicles. That should settle the minds of some owners!

Have you checked with VCDS that the sw version hasn't changed? Mine had just been serviced so I should check, it's almost cambelt time too so they might suggest it's done then instead.

I would suggest having the changes made IF SKODA confirm no reduction in performance ( emissions, mpg and acceleration ) as it would not surprise me in the anti diesel attitude nowadays by the various countries' Authorities take action and increase annual road fund tax or even ban the vehicle from central parts of towns and cities. If an owner refuses to assist in reducing pollution, it would not surprise if some form of penalty is enforced.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest having the changes made IF SKODA confirm no reduction in performance ( emissions, mpg and acceleration )

as it would not surprise me in the anti diesel attitude nowadays by the various countries' Authorities take action and increase annual road fund tax or even ban the vehicle from central parts of towns and cities. If an owner refuses to assist in reducing pollution, it would not surprise if some form of penalty is enforced.

er, would Skoda admit reduction in performance?

whose going to be the first for a dyno test before and after the modifications?

most (if not all) of the anti-diesel brigade are from or aligned to the EU, which is a tad crazy seeing as 90% of diesels on our roads are made in the EU.....

Edited by lichfielddriver

The campaign is currently open to 3000 superbs in the UK.

Would you say Silver is right in having concerns about performance and economy James? :)

Do you think there maybe Mot/warranty issues in the future if the Campaign is rejected by the owner. Could this put the car into a higher road tax bracket as remidial has being refused?

Just a thought

No.

Because seemingly soon after the Scandal emerged the UK Government made a statement on VED & VW.

Probably rubbish, but they announced it.

UK is BREXITing. and the UK MOT is not complicated when it comes to diesels.

As far as refusing the 'Fix',   Lets hear from the UK Transport Minister if the 'Fix' fixes anything, and if not why not and what 

is Chris Grayling MP going to do, or Liz Truss MP, or Theresa May MP.

VW needs to sort out lots of owners by recompensing them where they have had to pay out from EGR & PDF issues that maybe because of their Defeat Device.

Premature Failures and Warranty Rejections so far.

Lets see if any Civil Court Cases are taken in any of the 4 UK Countries, or buy the UK Government on owners behalf.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

More likely that EGRs and DPFs have been failing less than they might otherwise. Likelihood is that in normal running, outside of test conditions, EGR rates will have been backed off to improve efficiency at the expense of higher NOx. Post-fix, with higher EGR rates to improve/lower engine-out NOx, come more particulates, more work for the DPF.

Edited by Wino

The letter arrived today, it also has the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency logo on it.

Their claims made me chuckle.

Vehicle Registration Number: XXXX XXX

Chassis Number: TMBBEXXXXXXXXXXXX

Service Action: 23R6 EA 189 diesel engines

July 2016

Dear Mr XXX

Action required

I am writing to confirm that we are now able to carry out the technical measure relating to the NOx emissions issue affecting your SKODA vehicle. Thank you for your patience while the technical measure was developed, finalised and approved. I wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused during this time.

For your SKODA with a 2.0 litre TDI engine the measure will involve a software update to the engine management system. SKODA has worked closely with the relevant, independent authorities to test extensively the software update for your vehicle. Following the completion of this testing, I can confirm that there will be no change to your vehicle's engine performance, maximum torque or noise levels. The performance data already published for your vehicle, including fuel consumption values and CO2 emissions, will also remain unchanged.

What to do next

STEP ONE: Visit www.skoda.co.uk/online booking

STEP TWO: Select your local or preferred SKODA Retailer

STEP THREE: Complete your booking and await confirmation from your selected retailer

Alternatively, you can contact your local SKODA Authorised Repairer by phone. The closest Aithorised Repairer to you can be found at www.skoda.co.uk/localretailer.

The software upgrades the engine management system in your affected vehicle by implementing elements such as an enhanced fuel injection pattern. The software update applies these measures without adverse effects to the service life of the engine and its components. To achieve this, we are using advances in diesel combustion technology which were not available at the time your vehicle was manufactured.

Your SKODA Authorised Repairer will confirm exactly how much time should be allowed when booking the vehicle in. We recommend that this is undertaken at the earliest convenient date. Please be aware that only SKODA Authorised Repairers can perform this software update for your vehicle.

The service action will, of course, be undertaken free of charge and we have a range of appointment options to ensure the utmost convenience for you.

• While you wait appointments with wifi enabled waiting areas.
  • A courtesy vehicle* whilst we complete the technical measure
  • Collection and delivery of your vehicle from your chosen location**

I would like to apologise once again for any concern this issue may have caused you, and thank you for your patience.

Yours sincerely

Duncan Movassaghi

Director of SKODA UK

The registered keeper details for this mailing are provided by the DVLA. If you are no longer the owner of this vehicle you must inform the DVLA of the new owner's details or if the vehicle has been scrapped or written off. Information on how to do this can be found at www.gov.uk/browse/driving/number-plate.

*Vehicle subject to availability. Please contact your SKODA retailer for details.

**Collection and delivery available free of charge depending upon location. Please contact your SKODA Authorised Repairer for details.

Here is one thing to consider is if there is a manufacturer recall and you refuse will this invalidate your insurance as the car does not conform to the latest manufactures spec (we all know that if they can find a reason not to pay out they will)

So has your/all Skoda owners insurance been invalid since owning the cars because they have never conformed the the manufactures spec?

@ Dray

No. If you don't change the car by updating the software, it's the same car as it always has been, as quoted for and covered by your insurance.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

I'm sure my mother would agree.  Just got back from a brief holiday with her. On the bathroom shelf was her teeth cleaning kit:

electric toothbrush

floss

little bits of floss in plastic holders

interdental brush stick things

mouthwash

Proof that you can be too careful. :D

• Like 1