Gone Electric... Xav's Tesla thread

Xavier

Rather pricey upgrade really, and to be honest, the 0-60 on mine isn't that far off - it improved recently and wasn't officially documented... I need to do some more logging, but I don't think I'm that far off. Others get around 2.6s...

I had the pleasure of a demo courtesy of Xav this lunchtime. It is huge, fast and smooth. Full of gadgets and doesn't do a bad job on the not so straights.

I took a mate along for the ride as I knew he would appreciate it and he was gobsmacked. I would say I'm a convert but it lacks a little soul for me. I could learn to live with it but would need something with suck, squeeze, bang, blow in the garage for the weekends.

Still a hugely impressive car. The acceleration is blistering. 

Edited by Hedge
  • Like 4

Thanks Ian.

I did wonder if there could be some hack where it pumps engine sounds through the speakers, much like the i8.

You could take it quite far and have several different engine noises to choose from. They could even link it fully to the drive system where it would introduce acceleration pauses to mimic gear changes.

But somehow, I doubt that feature is his on Elon's list!

• 1 month later...

Time for another update, three and a half months into ownership.

I've finally just about adjusted to the size of the thing, feeling more comfortable with its huge width. 6ft6 width restrictions are still uncomfortably tight, but manageable, I haven't kerbed an alloy yet!

Not being able to charge at home is still an inconvenience. I'm working around it, it just means popping into the Supercharger at M4 J11 around Reading or the IKEA at M4 J12 and use the CHAdeMO adapter. Over the last few months, Ecotricity who manage "Electric Highway" charging network along the UK's motorways has started charging (money) for charging (electricity). It's caused a massive uproar in the EV community, a lot of people complaining that the new pricing structure - fixed now at £6 for a 30 minute charge is disproportionately expensive compared to cheap rates at home. Whilst I agree with this, it has had the positive effect of removing Mitsubishi Outlanders who would occupy the charging bays often leaving their cars to get the pathetic 20mile charge. I've yet to use one of these motorway chargers and try to avoid if possible. Fortunately, the IKEA chargers also run by Electric Highway remain free (at least for now).

Using the CHAdeMO adapter hasn't been without issues though. I've had big issues charging on DBT (manufacturer) chargers used by EH and also abroad when I was in France. Charging would start then after anything from a few seconds to a minute or two, would abort saying there was a CAN bus communication error.

Thanks to the awesome Tesla community on facebook (similar to Brisky, but for Teslae), we narrowed the problem down to it being an issue with my car more than my adapter. And we then realised other people also with the newer facelift cars had issues. Speaking to Tesla, they took my car in for a couple of weeks to do some extensive testing whilst I was working away in Paris. The issue was narrowed down to bad quality chargers and the workaround has been the design of a new CHAdeMO adapter with additional filtering circuitry to manage the noise generated by the DBT charger which affects CAN communication. I now have this new adapter and the same pump 1301 now seems to charge my car OK :)

One big change over the last week has been the upgrade to v8 of the software. This has brought on a completely redesigned user interface with many visual tweaks and updated Autopilot behaviour. Some people have complained that the Autopilot changes are now rather restrictive and the car will complain a lot quicker if you take your hands off the wheel and doing so repeatedly will disable Autopilot until you can stop and put the car in park to "reset" it. I've not had the problem as I keep my hands on the wheel - most of the time ;) Visual changes are, in my books, for the better. When going round bends with Autopilot, cars tracked ahead are now shown rotated, following the curve of the road. Autopilot now also relies less on the front facing camera and more on radar and can now pick up two vehicles ahead of you, so the car directly in front of you and the car in front of that one, by having the radar bounce on the road under the car's body. It certainly makes for an improved, smoother ride. It feels less "robotic" and more human-like. I've done a few hundred miles so far and it's been great. Just one false alert when it thought there was a car in front and beeped when it wasn't.

There's been a lot of bad press regarding Autopilot and so I guess Tesla have had to firm up its usage to protect itself. Just a few days ago, Germany have now banned the usage of the term "autopilot" as it infers a level of automous driving that isn't true. All I'd say is if you RTFM and agree on the beta status of the software, then you're fully aware of what it's currently designed to do and where the limits are. I don't have a problem with this and wish people actually read and researched things before coming out with a load of bull online. This goes as much for press and journalism as it does for personal haters and doubters of the tech... Anyway, rant over :)

I also have a feeling the newer software gives a bit more oomph when really giving it some beans. I can't categorically deny it being placebo, but there's more a sense of urgency with launch control and it seems even more visceral than before. It makes me giggle uncontrollably and makes passengers either giggle too or scream as their internal organs and eyeballs are displaced when they least expect it. :D

As the weather has cooled down, range does appear to be affected a little bit, but it's more noticable on short journeys where the battery doesn't get a chance to fully warm up. On a long run, and once warmed up, I haven't noticed a massive difference, taking into account I'm also using the cabin heating which draws a few kW of power. Being able to turn the car's heating on remotely whilst sat at home sipping a coffee before heading of brings a level of comfort and smugness that can't be ignored! I was already benefitting from it in the summer turning on the AC, but somehow appreciate the heating when its cold even more. It's a shame you can't turn on the heated seats or window defrosting remotely though.

I'm still loving the amount of information available through teslalog.com it's really great being able to track all kinds of variables, like having a permanent VCDS log available online. Currently at 8,211.7 miles and counting. Running cost so far, probably around £2 to £3 for when I charged in France. Pretty much nill running cost, massive amount of fun, zero emissions, going into London tomorrow with no congestion charge, free parking / charging in Westminster. Yep, I'm still in love! :love:

People local to Reading are welcome to come and meet up for a ride if you want, just let me know. I'm planning on going to the JKM RR day on 29th October so will see some of you there.

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 4

Oh and I joined the 0 miles club the other day. :peek: :D

Dotted yellow line on the right shows power is limited to around 200kW to preserve what's left in the battery

i-gmwptvJ-L.jpg

Arrived at the Supercharger with not a lot left!

i-q7mK5b5-L.jpg

Fill me up please!

i-zD9xrSn-L.jpg

• Like 3

.....but I'll mention it when it goes in for its first service.....

If I worked at a Tesla service desk, I would have a special invoice ready for the first service showing an oil and filter change :D just for the fun of it.

Seriously though, great car with impressive credentials, just a shame they are so damn pricey!

If I worked at a Tesla service desk, I would have a special invoice ready for the first service showing an oil and filter change :D just for the fun of it.

Seriously though, great car with impressive credentials, just a shame they are so damn pricey!

You could try, but strangely, I think you'll find that those items aren't on the list of billable items! There are a few filters they do change, the HEPA air filter, and there are some hydraulics in the car for braking, although that hardly gets used thanks to the awesome regenerative braking - which has also improved / increased with the last update. Over 50kW of regen power going back into the batteries now when slowing down :)

Did a quick 0-60 run this afternoon. I reckon it could be a little better with warmer tyres / warmer weather. A hint of loss of traction at the start. Timed at 2.7 seconds, but the GPS was a bit iffy - need to get a better position. As a result, I haven't embedded the telemetry.

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One big piece of news from Tesla: new cars bought after 31st Dec / delivered after 31st March will no longer have free unlimited supercharger use. It's causing a massive debate on the various Tesla fora. Similar to Ecotricity earlier this year, Tesla have now decided to start charging after a free 400kWh consumption.

I won't be affected by this, but some wonder whether it's a way to try and bump sales for the last quarter! I suppose I'd miss the free charging as I'd have to pay for it being unable to charge from home at the moment.

I did price up a new P100D similar spec to mine but with the obvious bigger battery and full Autopilot (with fully autonomous in the future). It's just shy of £150k :o That's a massive increase in the space of a few months! So I know I'll keep mine for quite a while.

They also dropped the Performance version on all of the cars except the P100D, so whilst you can still get a 90D, you cannot get a P90D which makes my car quite exclusive as it's no longer available...

Interesting times!

I just hope Trump doesn't kill it all off with his unashamedly pro-fossil-fuel position :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Apparently, the compressor had pretty much disintegrated and caused a short from the main 400V DC battery to ground and the car's safety systems isolated the main battery ensuring there was no risk of electric shock (I'm pretty sure a 400V DC would kill you!). So top marks for the safety aspect

I think it's not so much the voltage as the voltage x current which kills you. And a Tesla battery can surely deliver a lot of current.

Plus, if not isolated, I'd have thought there was a fair risk of starting a fire and burning your Tesla to the ground.

Edited by DavidY

Sounds like they've got the "autopilot" doing the same sort of thing I try to, and looking at what the idiot 2 or 3 cars ahead of me is up to!

Indeed!

Collision alert / avoidance kicks in well before impact of the car in front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWDYa9kpqrc&feature=youtu.be

:O

Fortunately, everyone was OK.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A month or so ago, I was toying with the idea of starting up a new business selling mains leads and a rather clever modular approach enabling people to charge their cars whilst abroad with suitably made adaptors for the countries they were visiting.

I eventually launched the site and have taken in a load more orders than I had anticipated. So it's good, although certainly keeping me busy for now.

I did have the fun of unloading a 100kg H07RN-F 5G6 cable drum from the boot of the car on my own. Nice challenge, although I'm feeling the effects now!

https://www.xavelec.co.uk if you're curious :)

• Like 4