Replacement passenger sun visor

Hi all, I'm new to the forum as a poster so apologies if this isn't the right place for this question. So, my wife has managed (still not sure how) to rip out the passenger sun visor of our 2015 Octavia Estate. The clip that holds it in has broken down the middle and left half attached to the roof and half attached to the now detached sun visor. I have looked around for replacements of the clip but can't see anything on parts sites etc. It is the bit that fastens it to the roof (and allows it to swivel and twist) rather that the clip that you can attach and detach to move it. Hope that makes sense, and if anyone can help me out that would be great.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I have this same issue.  Mum managed to rip and break the clip for the passenger visor (where it rotates) not the one that can be unclipped.  Spoke with dealer and they currently are being unhelpful, replacement for the sunvisor is £89.25 + VAT!!

@Woodst0ck  Did you manage to get your one sorted?

• 9 months later...

The clip ( not the hook side) holding our driver side sun visor broke when folding it down. Visor hinge is very stiff. No obvious way to remove broken part. Unfortunately out of warranty which is annoying as it seems to be a manufacturer fault. Also dangerous as visor fell on driver while car moving. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/05/2018 at 17:16, Iamholam said:

I have this same issue.  Mum managed to rip and break the clip for the passenger visor (where it rotates) not the one that can be unclipped.  Spoke with dealer and they currently are being unhelpful, replacement for the sunvisor is £89.25 + VAT!!

@Woodst0ck  Did you manage to get your one sorted?

Same problem with mine as my 9yr old broke it. Went to the dealer and they said £150!!!! 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Yeah. I think Skoda's trying to rip us off.

I had my passenger sun visor broken as well... didn't even need much of a force or anything. That piece of plastic into which the visor swivels just broke and that was it. I initially thought it isn't that big of a deal, just a tiny bit of plastic, should get it from the service at an acceptable cost. WRONG! They only sell THE ENTIRE VISOR WITH IT.

"Alright... how much should that be?" asked the sweet summer boy in me. The answer is 150 euro, waaaay too much for my budget.

So, I got to fixing it myself. After a bit of a hassle not having the proper tool for the job, I got that broken piece out from the roof nicely and started reverse engineer it.

I can easily tell you now that you don't have to have a degree in mechanical engineering, nor does it require too much brain matter actually to easily deduct the fact that this piece of plastic is either designed wrong or produced wrong because the visor shaft diameter DOES NOT PHYSICALLY FIT INTO THAT PIECE. It's a kindergarten matter, cause here you're to trying to fit a cylinder into something that resembles a triangle hole. The hole into that plastic is not round, but rather shaped like a rounded triangle (see the attached image where the outer cylinder is round, but the inner one is not really round all the way. 

Designwise I get it. It is supposed to be like this in order to keep the shaft tight and the plastic should warp a bit around the shaft but there are a couple of problems with this: the inner diameter is too small and creates a warping force that's too big for the amount of plastic that's supposed to support it. The end of this is that this piece breaks at the weakest points of this "round triangle", right at its edges, where there's the least amount of plastic. I assume in some cases it's like a ticking bomb and even the slightest force in the wrong direction will make it snap.

I do believe this is a stupid design issue and that's why I said Skoda's trying to rip us off instead of assuming their mistake and replacing these parts with proper ones. A tiny bit of plastic more on this cylinder would've avoided this but... yeah. What they did is lazy and stupid. And, unsurprisingly, cheap.

What I did eventually to fix it temporarily was to tie a wire around the broken plastic cylinder to keep it tight and that was it. There's plenty of space into the roof hole to go crazy with it. I'll print myself a proper piece a bit later either when I'll get bored or when that wire will find its way out, whichever comes first (I fear the last will).

img_34651.jpg

IMG_3467.JPG

IMG_3466.JPG