Octavia III Vrs: Auto vs Manual

No point making sure you're in the right gear if you're heading for a hedge.

..and you're less likely to be able to change direction quickly enough to avoid the hedge if you're in the wrong gear.

Driving is all about coordinated actions by the driver, no one control is any more important than any other control - this awkward combination of 3 pedals, a steering wheel and a gearstick didn't appear through cussedness :dull:

• Like 1

Also note that the DSG can be put into manual mode or semi-manual mode (it reverts to automatic when it thinks you're done 'playing'), so you have the best of both worlds: automatic when you are just driving and manual when you want to have fun, prepare for a quick overtake or using engine braking on steep downhills. 

I'll never have a manual again :)

Light braking when going downhill will cause the DSG to change down a gear (or even 2 gears). I use Sports mode down steep hills to 'encourage' a lower gear to be used. A few days ago when driving down a long steep hill I discovered that if I used the paddles to charge down then the DSG held that gear until the road flattened out rather than changing back up after the usual 20 seconds or so.

My current car was the first ever auto I have owned, although I have driven auto' hire cars in the US. After nearly 3-1/2 years of ownership I have decided that my next car will definitely have DSG.

• Like 3